Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

hello,,,,new here

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

hello,,,,new here

Postby powderfinger » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 1]

hey everyone !!! new to the forum. have some hunting success under my belt. hope to help others and get some info on GMU 76 in Colorado of course. any help as to drainages, etc. to start scouting for the first rifle season would be greatly appreciated! thanks
powderfinger

Re: hello,,,,new here

Postby Elkduds » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the Forum campfire. Pull up a stump and tell us a little about yourself. How did you decide on GMU 76? When you have 3 posts your PM account opens and members can share info they may not want the world to know.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby bowhunter04 » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the forum! There's a lot to learn written on the pages here. I've never been to GMU 76 so I can't provide any insight on the area.
bowhunter04

First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Fischer

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Welcome powder: I have never hunted that unit but have heard a lot of good things. Someone here well chime in.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby powderfinger » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 5]

thanks everyone! I my buddy and I chose it simply because we felt it was the best unit w/ our 15 points. I'm from Pa . he is from NM. I've been fortunate to have hunted a variety of big game over the years. really looking forward to hunting that first rifle season this year. any questions, just ask. I believe forums such as this one are a great way to help and be helped.....
powderfinger

Postby Elkduds » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 6]

15 points, that is some perseverance! A lot of the unit burned 2 summers ago, that ought to be great hunting w the heavy rain/snow so far this spring. Google West Fork Fire Map.
Elkduds

Postby powderfinger » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Elkduds wrote:15 points, that is some perseverance! A lot of the unit burned 2 summers ago, that ought to be great hunting w the heavy rain/snow so far this spring. Google West Fork Fire Map.

thanks.. we had no real alternative for colo. I believe my buddy has that map.
powderfinger

Postby Wapiti » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 8]

You guys are brave as I heard the squirrels are super aggressive in 76 !! Brave Brave Brave !!!
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Welcome Powderfinger, glad to have you on board! Sounds like you've got a bit of experience under your belt. Hope you chime in to the various threads and share some of your experience! Again, welcome. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Powderfinger... one of my favorite Neil Young songs. Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin' But when the first shot hit the dock I saw it comin'

Where in Pa are you from?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkduds » 06 09, 2015 •  [Post 11]

PM sent
Elkduds

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 10, 2015 •  [Post 12]

Welcome aboard bud, good to have you around!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby powderfinger » 06 10, 2015 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:Powderfinger... one of my favorite Neil Young songs. Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin' But when the first shot hit the dock I saw it comin'

Where in Pa are you from?

in Fayette county.Don't shelter me from the powder and the finger!!!!!1 >>>>> booom!
powderfinger

Postby powderfinger » 06 10, 2015 •  [Post 14]

Wapiti wrote:You guys are brave as I heard the squirrels are super aggressive in 76 !! Brave Brave Brave !!!

lmfao !!!! I,m good. when I punch in on my shift in 76 i'll have my .338 Sako w/ 225 partitions clocking 2,930 MV. I like alittle bones fragments w/ my blood splatter... ya know what I mean?...
powderfinger

Postby powderfinger » 06 10, 2015 •  [Post 15]

Phantom16 wrote:Welcome Powderfinger, glad to have you on board! Sounds like you've got a bit of experience under your belt. Hope you chime in to the various threads and share some of your experience! Again, welcome. RJ

thanks, I hope to help as much as I can. I've always tried to be objective w/ my observations. call like I see it. thanks. RJ
powderfinger

Postby powderfinger » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Hello again everyone ! had success in GMU 76. thanks to everyone here who helped in any way!
Attachments
338.jpg
338.jpg (150.62 KiB) Viewed 6698 times
powderfinger

Postby Indian Summer » 02 13, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Nice bull Pennsylvania!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 13, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Holy field bull! Please, tell us a bit about the hunt (and how far that dang shot was). Congrats on a beauty!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Old school » 02 13, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Congrats on the bull! I may end up burning my PP's in 76. Started accumulating points with hopes of hunting 61, but point creep is giving me second thoughts. I'll have 13 PP this year so 61 may be a pipe dream in my lifetime.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Deanmac » 02 13, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Nice share some details.
Deanmac

Postby Swede » 02 13, 2018 •  [Post 21]

It is obvious I did not provide the help you needed. I don't know how to get a bull like that. Congrats. I too would like to read something about the hunt. Please include the GPS coordinates. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby powderfinger » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 22]

powderfinger wrote:Hello again everyone ! had success in GMU 76. thanks to everyone here who helped in any way!

My elk hunting buddy from NM was able to scout this area a few times. A great guy from the QDMA forum gave us good info from his time in 76 years ago.
My buddy and I worked our way up the mtn in the am. at daylight I started working out along timberline at over 11,000 feet.
the wind was gently moving toward me. suddenly I felt it on the back of my neck, I moved faster so I could glass down into the fingers of timber where they mingled w/ alpine meadow.prime grazing. I had to stay ahead of my scent. As I moved ahead I kept glassing. All of a sudden I spotted this bull w/ his harem. they must have winded me as I quickly ranged them at 242. Sitting w/ my bipod I discovered the grass was too high from all the rain that season! I stood up and had a quick shot offhand as they ran for a big patch off red alder. The first shot caught him too far back in the hip stopping him in his tacks. I worked the bolt fast and put him straight down w/ a high shoulder shot. I hustled the 200 plus yards through the grass and rocks to my trophy!!!!!! My sense of jubilation was indescribable....
powderfinger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Old school wrote:Congrats on the bull! I may end up burning my PP's in 76. Started accumulating points with hopes of hunting 61, but point creep is giving me second thoughts. I'll have 13 PP this year so 61 may be a pipe dream in my lifetime.

--Mitch

Yep! unit 61 is a pipe dream for NR with 13 points. Even unit 76 would be iffy but dang close at about a 30% chance. But that would be the next best chance to apply for one of the so called premium areas. And if you don't draw you can still keep obtaining points and still go over the counter

I don't want to sound negative but I wouldn't burn 13 points on anything less than U 76.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Old school » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 24]

WW-When I started accumulating points I think 61 took 13 points. Now if I remember right it takes 19. So I’ve basically gained 6 points in 13 years. That’s my internal debate. Keep building points for 20 more years for 61 or burn them on 76 here in a couple years. I just hate to cash those points in on a lesser unit like 76 when I’ve got my heart/mind on 61.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby saddlesore » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 25]

Mitch.I firmly believe that CPW will some how change the whole preference point system in the forseeable future. I would use your points as soon as viable. I started building points for 201 when I was 44. It took 12-13 points.I finally drew when I was 65 with 21 points.So it almost doubled in the # of points required.

I think it will get worse now with the new policy of not having to pay for the tag when someone applies and the fact that many elk herds have been reduced to what the CPW calls carrying capacity ( read that as less tags awarded)

Discussion within CPW is that a whole generation is going to be precluded from drawing a tag in these high point units.Something they don't want what with the declining numbers of hunters and wanting to bring more youth hunter sin
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby powderfinger » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 26]

saddlesore wrote:Mitch.I firmly believe that CPW will some how change the whole preference point system in the forseeable future. I would use your points as soon as viable. I started building points for 201 when I was 44. It took 12-13 points.I finally drew when I was 65 with 21 points.So it almost doubled in the # of points required.

I think it will get worse now with the new policy of not having to pay for the tag when someone applies and the fact that many elk herds have been reduced to what the CPW calls carrying capacity ( read that as less tags awarded)

Discussion within CPW is that a whole generation is going to be precluded from drawing a tag in these high point units.Something they don't want what with the declining numbers of hunters and wanting to bring more youth hunter sin

sad but true!
powderfinger

Postby Old school » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 27]

Saddlesore - I was wondering that same thing. If CPW changes the rules I wonder how it will affect current PP holders. Or the wolf gets reintroduced to Colorado and the whole thing blows up in a manner nobody can predict. Good news may be that you could draw 61 with 10 PP’s bad news is it’s not near the unit is was prewolf...

I guess I’m saying it’s hard to have any idea what the future looks like for Colorado and the PP system so for now I just keep accumulating and hope to not get burned.

-Mitch
Old school