Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho non resident inquiry

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho non resident inquiry

Postby Mukbowhunt » 07 30, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Okay guys, I am not normally this guy and love to do as much scouting on the ground as possible. For example, the area I hunt in Washington I have had boots on the ground for 3 weekends this summer and I know the unit inside and out after hunting it for the last 12 years.

Here is the scenario: My dad turns 60 this September and he is my elk hunting mentor. He has never been out of state for an elk hunt and I want to take him next fall for the first time. He doesn’t have a ton of Septembers left so time is ticking…

I have narrowed my research/focus to Idaho for a few reasons: 1. Closest to us 2. Cheaper than Montana 3. OTC bulls & cows both available 4. Entire month of September season

We are DIY guys at heart and are willing to put in the work. We routinely take elk out of main area which is 7 miles in by trail and it goes out on our backs. We aren’t the best hunters but we work hard and don’t quit.

My research has led me to GMU 25, 24 or 15 for a few different reasons as top choices. The ruggedness and fewer roads of 25 intrigues me. GMU 15 for a similar reason. However any unit north of McCall zone is wide open.

That said, if you are willing I would love to hear via PM your input on these three units or suggested areas to scout. I have tried to keep the info I have researched thus far out of this post but feel free to quiz me first to make sure I am not blowing smoke. I have a few drainages picked out from topo and google earth but I won’t be able to get any boots on the ground until next summer. I am trying to make this first (and maybe only) out of state trip for my dad a success. He will be first shooter and remain that way until he tags out.

If you are willing to help me out, I can offer info on Washington OTC elk but that is the only state I have hunted.

Thanks and good luck this fall!
Mukbowhunt