Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2016 game plan set....now need advice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2016 game plan set....now need advice

Postby bald9eagle » 09 08, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I finally got a hard committal for the 2016 season. I'm going to work a couple more guys to see how much they really want to go.

Here's the plan. We are going to try our hand at the New Mexico draw going through an outfitter in units 34/36. We like the idea of a semi guided hunt so that's the route we are going. Now since the odds of drawing NM aren't "ideal" (although the outfitter claims a 30+% draw success) we are making a plan B - Colorado.

What I'm looking for is a GMU that has decent access from a nearby town. I can handle backcountry living myself but I'm not sure about my compadres. I wouldn't mind a truck based camp. Which GMUs have that kind of access for first rifle and are OTC or easy draw?

I really hate the idea of being that close to the fringe and I plan on hiking in and backpacking a few days. I'm needing some good options. I've looked at 44/441/45 and 24/White River Area. I'm looking for a little more moderate terrain, again due to hunting buddies.

I don't need specifics, just general idea of GMU with truck access, nearby towns, moderate terrain, and OTC or easy first season draw. Any help?
bald9eagle