Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Looking for an Elk Hunting Partner

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Looking for an Elk Hunting Partner

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 16, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Are you trying to find an hunting partner for a future elk hunt? Who knows, maybe you can link up with somebody who is wanting to plan and execute an elk hunt in the coming season. Remember that succesful elk hunts are more often than not, planned many, many months (or a year or more) in advance. Maybe you already live in elk country and think you'll have an extra chair at your elk campfire for a strong back and somebody interested in learning the ropes? The Elk-harmony (hunting not dating) thread is now open for business ;).

Eyes on the Prize.JPG
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Looking for an Elk Hunting Partner

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Elk-harmony needs to be more than just a hunter looking for someone to have in camp. More than an individual to share chores and expenses with. Where is the 8 page form we need to fill out detailing everything about ourselves and what we are looking for? Don't we need a real elk mate, and not just someone to call for us? BTW, can I get a list of all the good to great callers on the forum? I have tree stands. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 11 16, 2015 •  [Post 3]

The interview is between the hunters Swede. This is just the place to cross paths. We have always had people on here looking for partners. Some well in advance and some on short notice after a partner found out they were unable to make the hunt. Some experienced and some not. I have partnered up clients of mine who wanted a hunt plan and were solo.

BUT.... make no mistake: Whoever considers living in a tent with someone they don't know while pushing themselves to the limit every day better be compatible. Physically and personality wise.

When I was outfitting I had several hunters over the years send emails asking me right off the bat if I could hook them up with a partner to do a 2 on 1 guided hunt. If two parties were interested I would give them each other's contact info and make it very clear that a partner not can but will make or break your overall enjoyment as well as have a bearing on your success. I would let them talk and work it out between themselves. No arranged marriages for me!

So anyway.... No swede, I can't sit at the base of your tree and call. Well I could but I have an anxious trigger finger and I'm sure you don't consider your elk hunting to be a spectator sport. :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2015 •  [Post 4]

What a disappointment. I was thinking when we filled out our lengthy form, RJ would search and find the perfect hunting partner for us. Other than being a solid caller with lots of time available, I want an excellent packer and cook. I think it would be essential for my elk-harmony partner to have some prime elk honey holes to hunt. :D
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 11 16, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Gemini. Brown eyes. Hair... formerly brown. Slightly overweight but mentally motivated. Enjoy romantic walks in the woods.... armed. I can cook too: Add boiling water and wait 8 minutes. Will pack for food.
Attachments
Packin elk2.jpg
Packin elk2.jpg (15.89 KiB) Viewed 171200 times
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 16, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Geez louise, it's hard to find good help these days ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Joe definitely has that packing thing down. He needs to work on the cooking over the winter.
RJ, buddy! You need to do some drastic work on the written form. You can't just plagiarize www.geezersonly.com to help make good elk-harmony matches. Just look at what we could end up with.
Swede

Postby pd » 11 16, 2015 •  [Post 8]

RJ, this is a great idea. Sticky it, because there WILL be hunters in search of a partner, starting early in the Spring.
pd

First Name: p
Last Name: d

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 17, 2015 •  [Post 9]

pd wrote:RJ, this is a great idea. Sticky it, because there WILL be hunters in search of a partner, starting early in the Spring.

Yes sir, it's stuck :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby bald9eagle » 11 17, 2015 •  [Post 10]

I'm a rookie so of course I think this is a fantastic idea...lol. To sweeten the pot I will carry someone on a weeks worth of Alabama turkey hunting.

Seriously though when a couple of posters on here start talking about hunting the same general area I think it would benefit both parties to make it a cooperative effort. I have read it a hundred times while doing searches on different units. A guy asks about Unit such and such and the next guy says "Hey, might see you there!". Why not go ahead and just say "See you there" and then you won't be hunting over one another. If you don't hunt together at least share information so that you are both familiar with where folks might be. In a way you can use one another. Use radios or phones (where available) and communicate. "Hey Paul, we aren't seeing anything at Giant Elk Basin." "Joe, we saw a good herd heading over Monster Muley Pass headed your way." "Swede, get out of the truck." You know...stuff like that.
bald9eagle

Postby Dr. Rx » 11 26, 2015 •  [Post 11]

Love this post. I don't live in elk country, but my passion for hunting these majestic elk is strong. I'm new to this and would be great to hunt with someone who would be willing to teach or mentor elk hunting the right way.

Thanks for starting the post.

Kris
Dr. Rx

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 26, 2015 •  [Post 12]

For those looking for somebody to head to the elk woods with, what kind of hunting are you interested in, when, and in what potential state? I.e., I'm mostly interested in archery hunting during the rut; OTC in Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana, and am looking at a XX day hunt (or whatever you're primarily interested in).
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 11 27, 2015 •  [Post 13]

I'll add to that... define your goals and abilities. Are you young and in good shape and ugly or um... like me which would be the opposite. Are you happy with any elk including a cow or are you hunting only say 5 point bulls or bigger? Last maybe mention a few of your preferences. Such as do you want to camp at the truck or are you wanting and able to pack in?

The other thing to do is get past the PMs or emails and talk on the phone. See if you're personalities are similar. I'm not into hunting with dry personalities. There's always laughing coming from my tent. Sometimes when times are really tough and not going our way I'll bust out a good joke. If I'm on the phone with a guy and I drop 3 good ones and get nothing but a moment of silence we probably aren't going hunting together. :lol:

A good conversation would be "Well Phantom you sound like a nice enough guy. Can I ask you a question?" "Sure Joe what's that?" "If me and you were standing on the edge of a meadow and the biggest whale tail bull either of us ever saw walked out on the other side angling toward us what would you do?" "Well he sounds pretty big Joe so I'd probably shoot you I the foot and work my way downwind to get I front of him"

"OK... don't worry I'll put a tourniquet on your leg before I make my move, where do you want to meet?"
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 11 27, 2015 •  [Post 14]

This is a noble idea and good gesture. For several years. I tried to get young fellows to go with me. Then it was always "well you use your stock and pack in camp mid week and I'll come up Friday night and meet you." Or come about Wednesday, they tell you ,they have to leave early and you are left tearing down camp yourself. Some, even though they were 20 years younger, left me to do all the camp chores and then said they wouldn't be coming back because it was too much work .
I only have two hunting pards now. One is old as I am and he really isn't a hunting pard anymore as he can't leave his sick wife. We will be going out for a one day antelope hunt this weekend. I gave him half my cow moose this year and part of the elk I killed. The other is about 5 years younger than me and we do good together. If he doesn't go, I go by myself. The last time I took a young fellow as this thread relates to, he talked a good talk, but it didn't workout well.
A person better darn sure pick his hunting companion well, because you will find out how good they are when you are trapped in a tent for four days in a blizzard.

Some good advice has been given by others and I sure hope fellows take it to heart
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Trott2478 » 12 13, 2015 •  [Post 15]

I an from michigan and would love to find an elk hunting partner, I have never been and have little knowledge, I am 30 years old and in pretty good shape. I am looking at a rifle hunt, I liked the idea of Idaho for multiple species. I am not afraid of hard work and am a chef by trait so I don't mind cooking. I don't have a lot of gear for camping, no backpacking experience and have only hinted whiyetails. I have a few friends interested in going but they backed out on me last year and am worried that the same will happen. I have been looking at drop camps in the frank church and also Colorado. Any help or anyone looking for a partner or tag along. I can prolly block off 10-14 days of time
Trott2478

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 13, 2015 •  [Post 16]

Okay, I'll give this a try. I am interested in trying a DIY elk hunt in an OTC area next year. I'd prefer to hunt the second season (first rifle season). I would drive from PA and would be willing to hunt pretty much anywhere I can get a tag. I have gear including a 4x4 atv if that is useful.

I am independent by nature but agreeable and easy to get along with. I am pretty easygoing and relaxed. I don't use drugs and prefer not to hunt with people who do (no offense). My camping style is typically to travel fairly light and I usually plan to eat without doing anything beyond boiling water. I eat dehydrated meals, trail mix, summer sausage, etc. I'd rather deal with marginal food than spend too much time cooking and cleaning.

I am an experience hunter but have no Western or elk experience. I hunt whitetails in PA, NY and VT. I also hunt grouse, turkey, pheasant and bear (unsuccessfully). I am also open to guests out this way if anyone is interested in that.

I'm a complete rookie. I am not trying to steal anyone's spots so another total rookie is fine. Experience is great too if I am not imposing. I am 41 and in decent shape but not a marathon runner. I like to get away from crowds if possible. If the way to get deep is by ATV, I can put that in my truck and bring it along (Kawasaki Brute Force 750). If the ATV areas are a zoo, it would probably be more fun to hike into a wilderness area that doesn't allow ATV access.

If anyone is interested in coming along or meeting me out there let me know. I'll be doing some research.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Indian Summer » 12 13, 2015 •  [Post 17]

Pa and Michigan... pretty close. Maybe meet up and go chase the Pa elk around a little for fun and experience. Be a great place to hook up before the hunt. My brother and I messed with the bulls up there before we hunted elk out west. A friend took a pic of this one about 3 weeks ago.
Attachments
WinslowHillBull.jpg
WinslowHillBull.jpg (99.39 KiB) Viewed 170549 times
Indian Summer

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 13, 2015 •  [Post 18]

Great idea. I was actually planning to do something like that later in the winter. I was thinking about a bivy-style hunt but with a camera. I forget your screen name but if you are interested, Trott, let me know.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Trott2478 » 12 14, 2015 •  [Post 19]

I'm open to anything, right now exploring diy in Idaho, one of Indian summers planned hunts and drop camps just looking for good and economical options, I do have friends interested but don't know if they will back out
Trott2478

Postby Indian Summer » 12 14, 2015 •  [Post 20]

I just answered your last PM. But just so you know... my hunt plans are all in Montana and Wyoming.
Indian Summer

Postby Trott2478 » 12 14, 2015 •  [Post 21]

Yea I read that part, I don't care where I go as long as I can get a tag this year and hunt is in my budget, last year to do this before kids come. Then I'll have to see if I can ever get away again
Trott2478

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 14, 2015 •  [Post 22]

I have kids already. You can still get away if you want to. You'll be more likely to get homesick, though.
VT Sasquatch

Postby DirtyErn » 12 16, 2015 •  [Post 23]

At first glance I thought you where already trying to replace me Rj. Congrats on the "new" forum

DirtyErn
DirtyErn

First Name: Ernie
Last Name: O

Postby Stykbow14 » 12 17, 2015 •  [Post 24]

I'm in the same boat as Trott and VT. I'm a complete rookie although I did kill a nice bull on a guided hunt this September during 2nd rifle season in CO on a guided hunt. I have no idea what I did to kill it other that keep up with the guide...but it sure was a hoot and now I'm hooked! Elk country is amazing! I'm going again in September 2016 on a private ranch again in CO during archery season but this time there will be no guide. I'm starting the planning process for a DIY hunt in 2017. I'm mostly interested in archery hunting...I don't hunt with a gun and actually had to buy my first rifle for the CO elk hunt!

I'm interested in any state that has decent numbers of elk and tags I can get every year! I'm 50 and in decent shape and have put elk hunting off for far too long! I intend to go for a week or two every year until I just can't physically do it anymore! My biggest concern is getting the critter off the mountain! I packed out deer a time or two....but it awful flat around here compared to the west and elk are BIG critters :)

I live in Delaware and hunt deer, turkeys and some waterfowl here, Maryland and Pennsylvania. I also hunt turkeys in SC and monster whitetails in Iowa every other year.

I have no problem going solo. Except for hunting with my dad and my sons and a couple real close friends, I hunt alone more often than not. However, I do cherish the social aspects of hunting. Comparing notes, trips to camp, and times around the dinner table or campfire in the evenings! I would like some company for the ride out/back and in camp! If anyone is looking team up for archery elk, let me know!

Experience: Minimal for elk - 40 years for deer
Interests: Archery Elk & Mule deer - not looking for a monster but a 4 pt or better bull would be nice
States: any with accessible tags (0 pref points or OTC). I'm going to start building points immediately for higher quality hunts down the road but want to experience elk hunting before I go on that type of hunt
Style: anything from hotel to back packing in
Stykbow14

Postby Indian Summer » 12 17, 2015 •  [Post 25]

Styk where are you from? You mention the social aspects of having a partner and also that you are a bit concerned about getting a critter as big as an elk off the mountain. That is another huge reason to have a partner. This isn't deer hunting and there are lots of other benefits to having a partner when you're elk hunting. Even if you do end up deciding to hunt solo a partner would be a good idea for the first couple DIY hunts.

As far as license you can get guaranteed tags in Colorado as you know but also in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. A couple points which run $50 each will save you $500 on the guarantee in Wyoming.

Do you have any experience riding horses?

Welcome aboard pilgrim. I'm 50 myself and it isn't getting any easier so you better get on it now! :D
Indian Summer

Postby Stykbow14 » 12 18, 2015 •  [Post 26]

Indian Summer, I'm from Delaware...looks like just south of you :) I used to ride horses as a kid but it's been a long, long time! I'm solo for sure this year. Hopefully not in 2017.

Yup...not sure why I waited until 50. Life i guess. It sure does get busy :)
Stykbow14

Postby six » 01 13, 2016 •  [Post 27]

Well looks like I have 2 guys committed for the Colorado archery opener. Anyone wanna make a bet whether or not they are in the truck on August 25th.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Backyard » 01 13, 2016 •  [Post 28]

six wrote:Well looks like I have 2 guys committed for the Colorado archery opener. Anyone wanna make a bet whether or not they are in the truck on August 25th.

Six, sounds like you don't have much faith in your hunting partners. That can make for stressful trip if they do end up showing.

All that aside, do you plan to base or pack in?
Backyard

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 13, 2016 •  [Post 29]

I feel the same way. I have a buddy who says he's coming with e but I'd say it's 50/50. That's okay, most of my hunting is solo. I leave Friday morning to camp out and grouse hunt in upstate NY. I'll be alone. Most of my friends don't like roughing it, especially in the cold.
VT Sasquatch

Postby six » 01 14, 2016 •  [Post 30]

"Six, sounds like you don't have much faith in your hunting partners. That can make for stressful trip if they do end up showing.

All that aside, do you plan to base or pack in?"

I am so packing in. I haven't been able to hunt archery in 3 years. Rifle season is a little on the cold side for me for taking camp on my back. I makes it a little less enjoyable for me.
six

Postby 2MANY » 02 02, 2016 •  [Post 31]

Good luck on the partner search to all.

Be safe!!
2MANY

Postby Ghost » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 32]

Ill chime in on this. Years ago I got hooked up with 3 guys, (1 I "knew" and by knew I mean we belonged to the same small deer lease, I knew he hunted hard and that was it) for an archery elk hunt in the Missouri Breaks. Anyway to make a long story short, the guy I got hunted with, would have been better off never leaving camp, I would have had a better trip if I hunted with my xwife at least she would have been in shape. The moral to this story is make sure everyone is honest about their abilities!! Make sure everyones in shape!! While Id contemplate a rifle hunt with guys Im not familiar with, I will never ever go on another archery elk hunt with someone I dont know and have hiked and worked out with.
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 14, 2016 •  [Post 33]

That's a good point. There really are only one or two close friends I would enjoy hunting side-by-side with for a whole week. I would like having company around camp but I usually prefer solo hunting.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Cookie_Demon » 02 14, 2016 •  [Post 34]

Hi All,

I am a 23 year old Female Backpack hunter. Im 5'1 and 110 on a good day but im all muscle and can pull my own weight just fine. live in Colorado and know of some great spots to get elk. This past season we saw elk every day, I just couldn't take a good shot, which was my bad , but not for a lack of animals. I love the outdoors and always go a minimum of 7 miles in, whether hunting, backpack fishing or just wilderness camping. I Rifle hunt with a compact 7mm-08 so the gun weights shy of 6lb perfect for backpacking ... Im looking for a hunting partner or group who would like to hunt the Colorado Wilderness. I used to have a hunting partner but he moved away for school and I dont want to miss this next season, or any season ever. I run a 70 L pack and carry the gun external to the pack. Ill be purchasing a new ultralight 4 season tent in few weeks which means ill have the gear for late season hunting as well as archery. I have no problem if your an archery hunter or rifle and just need some company and a meat hauling partner, to come and pack in with you and sidekick it, like i said, i love being outside its all fun regardless of if i'm hunting or you are. Im more than happy to host an out of state DIY. The area im thinking of hunting im very familiar with, ive been backpacking to it 4 times now all for at least 5 days or more. I generally devote the whole season to hunting, and pack in days in advance , set up , and then scout. I push heavy timber all day and we eat dehydrated meals unless i go catch fish right after first light or after legal shooting hours. I always carry the backpacking poles, Colorado wild alpine fish is the best! PM me if your interested, I would like to start planning now, and meet up if possible to see if we work well together. Even for a quick trip ( fishing, small game, etc). If your out of state, again i have no problem hosting for meet up trip to see how we work in the field. I know of many weekend trips, all of which would either be small game or fishing related.

Hopefully I hear from you guys soon.

- Natasha
Cookie_Demon

Postby Indian Summer » 02 14, 2016 •  [Post 35]

Really? My name is Joe. I am a Gemini. I'm also an astronaut and I own this bar. :lol:

uh... welcome to our happy humble home.........
Indian Summer

Postby Cookie_Demon » 02 14, 2016 •  [Post 36]

Is the disbelief due to the fact that im a chick, or that there's a 6 ft alligator im sitting on top of? I wish hunting partners were east to come by but if i wanna hunt i need someone out there with me. Given that im snack size for other predators not being the main concern but rather by my ability to pack out 100s of lbs off meat in an efficient time period.
Cookie_Demon

Postby Indian Summer » 02 14, 2016 •  [Post 37]

Nope. I'm just the resident clown sometimes. I know some damn good female hunters and I don't doubt you one bit. One being my niece. My mother wasn't too bad in her day either. It's just that I had to laugh because as an elk hunting fool and so it looked like the ultimate eHarmony dot com listing. Haha

We have a member on here that goes by the name MntnMutt (Patricia). She lives in Colorado. You guys might want to hook up. It's been awhile since I saw her on here. Another local elk huntress on this forum is ABQ_Chica from New Mexico. It's hard to draw a license down there so you never know, she might like to join you.

But to be honest.... there has to be some single guy on here that will reply to what looks to me could be a better opportunity than signing up for the Bachelor! Those chicks don't look like they know much about camping or quartering out bulls. Just sayin' So I hope you can forgive me for thinking that something on the internet could possibly be too good to be true.

Good luck to you Miss Demon.
Indian Summer

Postby Cookie_Demon » 02 14, 2016 •  [Post 38]

Awesome! Thank you resident Clown Indian Summer for the tip. Maybe ill be able to get into contact with the ladies. Do you know if they are pack in hunters or they run ATVS ? Is Patricia in the Gunnison Area by Chance ?

Lol I too enjoy romantic armed moonlight walks but my cooking tends to be a bit more than boiling and pouring. Perhaps i should post a full bio, then the batchelors will come flying
Cookie_Demon

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 39]

Do you fish for catfish? This seems like someone laying bait for a pervert - like a facebook bot - but whatever.

If you are for real you are welcome to hunt with me/us. I am a rookie and usually hunt solo but I would appreciate any pointers from man or woman. There are female hunters in my home state that could put me to shame.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Cookie_Demon » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 40]

If your referring to the gator ( a photo taken during gator fest )... there was no cat fish involved. I have cat fished tho, unsuccessfully mind you. I used to volunteer and help teach the Alligator Wrestling Class at the Gator farm ( its actually a rescue and tilapia farm) in Alamosa Colorado, back when i lived in Gunnison. If you want to fish for farmed tilapia you could talk to the owner Jay, ive seen them do it but im not really into fishing for farmed fish. No no bait laying, just looking for at least one person to hunt with. Where do you hunt? All of my experience is in the West Elk Wilderness.
Cookie_Demon

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 41]

I live in Pennsylvania and hunt PA, NY and VT. I am planning my first trip to Colorado this fall. Right now I intend to hunt in Grand Mesa National Forest.

I like to backpack into areas and hunt that way out here when I can. I take a few trips doing that each year. I also have two hunting properties with cabins where we stay and hunt in more comfort. I am planning to bring a wall tent and atv to Colorado but also bring a pack with bivy gear to have the ability to overnight away from my base camp if it is advantageous to do that.

I am curious about your choice of a 4 season tent. I have never had the need for one but I do think about getting one occasionally. I have a Snowtrekker tent for winter treks and a wall tent for base camping. I have stoves for each. Besides that, I have a few backpacking tents but none that are truly 4 season. I have a Eureka Mountain Pass that I was told was something like a 3 1/2 season tent. Why a 4 season? Do they actually hold more heat or are you expecting to be exposed to high winds?
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 42]

Indian Summer wrote:Pa and Michigan... pretty close. Maybe meet up and go chase the Pa elk around a little for fun and experience. Be a great place to hook up before the hunt. My brother and I messed with the bulls up there before we hunted elk out west. A friend took a pic of this one about 3 weeks ago.

The picture didn't come through in my quote but Is it me or does that PA elk look thin? The pics of the western elk seem to have bigger/thicker bodies, don't they? I am asking because I have never seen an elk in real life.

I intend to go out to the PA elk range in the next few weeks to look for elk sign and maybe get some photos. I'm going to camp out and explore some. I'll post results.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Indian Summer » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 43]

Start on Winslow Hill and branch out from there. You should drive the entire area too. It's nice there and you can likely find some elk just by cruising. look for other parked cars. No he doesn't look thin. Maybe his rack dwarfs his body a little. He's a pretty old dude though.

We should have an eastern elknut rendezvous up around that area some time.
Indian Summer

Postby ABQ_Chica » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 44]

Welcome, Cookie_Demon! This is a good bunch of people here at Wapititalk.

Although I live in NM now, I used to live in CO, and am somewhat familiar with some of the backcountry. I used to camp and fish up north in the Flattops Wilderness. Those high mountain trout are definitely the best!
Hopefully you'll find someone to hunt with. Mtnmutt and I both hunt solo and with partners. She may be familiar with your area, so hopefully she'll chime in...
ABQ_Chica

Postby Cookie_Demon » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 45]

VT Sasquatch wrote:I am curious about your choice of a 4 season tent. I have never had the need for one but I do think about getting one occasionally. I have a Snowtrekker tent for winter treks and a wall tent for base camping. I have stoves for each. Besides that, I have a few backpacking tents but none that are truly 4 season. I have a Eureka Mountain Pass that I was told was something like a 3 1/2 season tent. Why a 4 season? Do they actually hold more heat or are you expecting to be exposed to high winds?

So the reason for a 4 season for colorado if your hunting 2nd rifle or later usually ( this past season excluded) there is snow. 4 season is designed to hold up with snow weight on top of the tent, and on the sides. A 3 season with snow will bow inwards and in some cases people have suffocated in 3 season because the snow decreased the total breathable area. 4 season does not inherently keep you warmer , there are generally two types of tent your gonna be looking at. a Double Wall , and a single wall. The difference between the two is weight, and condensation as well as wind resistance . with a single wall tent you can really save weight, however you have more condensation build up . The double wall is generally heavier, but reduces condensation and is better in higher wind environments. Is one slightly warmer than the other? yes the double wall will get you a few more degrees , but if you really need thoes you shouldn't be where your at. If your running a 4 season in colorado you need to have a neg. rated sleeping bag. If you expect snow ( hence the 4 season), your shelter is a shelter, not an insulator.

The Tents I am looking at are 4 season double wall but between 4-5 lb and they have good venting. This past season it rained for two days straight and then snowed. We were running a three season and condensation soaked most of my companions gear and bags. ( i have a synthetic neg 20 that ive been using but will probably switch to down and run a waterproof sack on the bag this cuts weight and prevents the down from soaking through)
Where ive hunted, there are high winds but nothing that is abnormal for Colorado, its just that a four season protects you when snow occurs which if your not prepared to deal with can ruin a trip or potentially be deadly.
Cookie_Demon

Postby VT Sasquatch » 02 16, 2016 •  [Post 46]

Good explanation, thanks. I didn't realize you could get them that light. In the conditions you described, I would probably be in my Eureka Mountain Pass 4 and it weighs about 9 lbs, I think. It supports snow weight better than my lighter tent.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Cookie_Demon » 02 16, 2016 •  [Post 47]

You might beable to get away with swaping out your poles if your running high quality rip stop nylon on the tent fabric ( has to beable to withstand winds , all rip stop is is a thicker thread every variable weave ( it depends on the quality ) so if the wind tears into the nylon it's supposed to stop it from tearing further when it gets to that thicker thread. The four seasons come in ultra light but it runs about $800. The brand Nemo makes two that are within the weight and venting requirement I like. I don't have any experience with Eureka. Cool new material that's out tho is Cuban Fiber . It isn't in any main brands yet but it's the highest strength to weight ratio and is water proof ... Hopefully in the next few years we'll see four season using this textile and it will revolutionize ultralight packing.
Cookie_Demon

Postby 2MANY » 02 17, 2016 •  [Post 48]

The bottom line is you want a fly that comes ALL THE WAY to the ground and stakes away from the base of your tent.
You then ditch around the tent where the fly meets the ground and provide a trench that drains the entire ditch away from your tent.
Never pitch the tent in a low spot as water will gravitate to the low area and attract gators.
2MANY

Postby bald9eagle » 02 20, 2016 •  [Post 49]

If anyone wants to tag along with us from Sept. 16-23 in southern Colorado that would be great. Hunting and drinking don't mix in my camp.
bald9eagle

Postby six » 02 21, 2016 •  [Post 50]

Eagle

I still have 2 guys that are what I would say 75% committed. Nice offer tho.
six

Postby bald9eagle » 02 21, 2016 •  [Post 51]

The way I see it is we can hunt the same area and work together instead of competing. I already know I'm going to see other hunters so if I can connect with some guys (or gals) on here that are going to be in the same area we can help each other out.
bald9eagle

Postby 2MANY » 02 22, 2016 •  [Post 52]

Gator bait?
2MANY

Postby oldnovice » 03 07, 2016 •  [Post 53]

I put in for Mule Deer tags in Unit 18 (Colorado) in 2nd rifle and Elk tags in Unit 14 (Colorado) in 4th Rifle. I am, as my screen name suggests, a novice at this. I had my first Colorado hunt last fall. Went OTC for Elk and chose Unit 14 for no apparent reason. Did not see a single elk, probably because they were WAY up high due to the heat and no snow. Did see lots of mule deer, though. I am interested in teaming up with others hunting those areas. My brother in law put in for the same tags as me. We are NOT hard core but are more than wiling to pull our own weight. A friend may coem up from Arizona (not hunting) with his RV for a base camp.
Old guy getting back into hunting after 40 year layoff!

Savage Axis 30-06 with Boyds Prairie Hunter stock, Osprey scope
Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R with ATI stock
oldnovice

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 08, 2016 •  [Post 54]

I don't mean to get off topic but you applied for the Colorado lottery already? I thought that wasn't until April. If so, I better get on the ball. Thanks
VT Sasquatch

Postby Cookie_Demon » 03 10, 2016 •  [Post 55]

VT Sasquatch wrote:I don't mean to get off topic but you applied for the Colorado lottery already? I thought that wasn't until April. If so, I better get on the ball. Thanks

Colorado Limited Licence Draw Application deadline is April 5 by midnight.
July 26, 2016 – Over-The-Counter Licenses on sale at 9 a.​m. (no application necessary)
August 2, 2016 – Leftover Limited Licenses on sale starting at 9 a.m.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesR ... iggame.pdf

So you still have time to figure out where your gonna put in for.
Cookie_Demon

Postby justinspicher » 03 11, 2016 •  [Post 56]

I'm moving back to Colorado after 18 years of living elsewhere. It would be pretty nice to talk to some folk about the areas down in the southwestern corner. Send me a pm if you are willing to discuss gear and tactics.
justinspicher

Postby oldnovice » 03 11, 2016 •  [Post 57]

VT Sasquatch wrote:I don't mean to get off topic but you applied for the Colorado lottery already? I thought that wasn't until April. If so, I better get on the ball. Thanks

You can apply as soon as the new regs come out (usually at the end of Feb). The deadline is April 5th.

oldnovice

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 15, 2016 •  [Post 58]

oldnovice wrote:

You can apply as soon as the new regs come out (usually at the end of Feb). The deadline is April 5th.

Thanks. I just submitted my application. I chose muzzleloader in Unit 41 as my first option but no back up. If I get denied I will buy an archery tag.
VT Sasquatch

Postby oldnovice » 03 22, 2016 •  [Post 59]

You can get two over the counter archery tags for that unit. The either sex tag is a list A tag and the antlerless is a list B tag.

oldnovice

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 22, 2016 •  [Post 60]

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I am getting my plans in order. Regardless of whether I get a muzzleloader tag (probably unlikely but I couldn't find any info on odds) I intend to go during the September muzzleloader season. It is looking like I will be solo and hunting the Grand Mesa NF. I'll post more details as I get things tightened up.
VT Sasquatch

Postby oldnovice » 03 23, 2016 •  [Post 61]

VT Sasquatch wrote:Thanks, I didn't know that.

I am getting my plans in order. Regardless of whether I get a muzzleloader tag (probably unlikely but I couldn't find any info on odds) I intend to go during the September muzzleloader season. It is looking like I will be solo and hunting the Grand Mesa NF. I'll post more details as I get things tightened up.

This site is your friend!
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx

Over on the right is the link to the PDF for the big game regs.

Here you can see all the hunting statistics:
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx

oldnovice

Postby RichM » 03 26, 2016 •  [Post 62]

I put in for rifle NM unit 34 late November and early December elk hunts and Unit 16 archery deer. If I draw I'll be looking for help, if I don't draw I'll be looking to help/learn.
Now just to wait till April 27.
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Postby twbhunter » 03 26, 2016 •  [Post 63]

I turn 62 this spring and have just retired thus I will have time for several hunts this fall. To hunt elk I have enough experience to know you have to be in reasonable condition and I have started to get into shape. I'm about 5'9" to 5'10' and 175 so its mainly getting into shape and losing about 5 pounds.

I have applied for the muzzleloading hunt in Colorado; unit 61 with 21 preference points which I believe provides me a good chance of being drawn.

All my hunting buddy's are still working thus if I'm drawn I will have to do a solo hunt (which the wife will raise heck about and is probably right to complain) unless I can team up with someone who is also draw in unit 61.

Some experience as a elk hunting as I have harvested nine bulls on DIY's; four with a rifle, four with compound bow and one with a muzzleloader; haven't been able to close the deal with two tries with the recurve.

Tom
twbhunter

Postby N&N Waterfowl » 03 28, 2016 •  [Post 64]

Hey guys and gals...new to the forum, but been hunting for the past 25 years. Mainly Midwest whitetails. I have limited elk hunting experience, but managed to kill a cow elk last year in CO OTC. I enjoy the scouting (mainly maps and google earth) since I live in MO, pre-season training (both physical and shooting), have all my own equipment, and learning all I can about my new addiction. I had a hunting partner that has backed out for this year, and would be interested in finding another person or two to share camp with this year, and years to come. I'm strictly an archery Hunter, and am comfortable base camp hunting and heading out solo each day, or hunting as a team. I would be just fine heading out solo each morning and just meeting back at camp at night. I'm willing and able to share all camp duties and more then willing to help pack out partners animal. All I'm looking for would be a like minded Hunter. Someone to shoot the shit with after a hard day's hunt, and another person to have in camp to share the chores. I will do the same. I'm easy going and hunt hard but always have a good time. I'm mainly interested in CO, but am open to any location with OTC tags. I will and have been doing my homework and am not looking to steal someone's hotspot. I will share all my research freely. I know it's getting a little late in the game for this year, but wanting to also get a start on 2017. I'm an easy going guy, but hunt hard. But for me it is about the experience not the killing of an animal. By that I mean I will have a great time no matter if I kill an elk or not. I will show up physically capable and with a positive attitude everyday no matter what. Shoot me a PM if interested, and we can share numbers and start chatting.
N&N Waterfowl

Postby Indian Summer » 03 28, 2016 •  [Post 65]

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have what it takes to be a great partner. You might consider a leftover cow tag in Wyoming too. They'll go on sale in the summer. With your realistic expectations you could have a great hunt and learn and area and get bull tags next year. Good luck to you!
Indian Summer

Postby N&N Waterfowl » 03 29, 2016 •  [Post 66]

I'm always open and enjoy new areas...I will definitely look into a Wyoming cow tag for this year.
N&N Waterfowl

Postby currie » 04 08, 2016 •  [Post 67]

I'm originally from Canada now work in texas. I'm looking at an OTC elk tag for Colorado. I will hopefully hit the rut in September with my bow. I plan on driving to Colorado finding a good place to park off of a trail head then getting in deep to the backcountry. Sleeping in a tent, minimal cooking besides boiling water and adding it to a dehydrated meal. I train hard so I can hunt hard for me the harder the better while being a safe as possible. I have hunted a ton back home in western Canada and some deer hunting in texas. This will be my first backcountry otc diy hunt in Colorado. Looking to get my feet wet with Colorado elk. I will be happy with any bull as I'm more in it for the meat.
currie

Postby Mike_Parson » 04 22, 2016 •  [Post 68]

I am 46 and I am a seasoned mule deer hunter with a rifle and i have had success on my only one time to archery hunt for mule deer. I have hunted elk once with a bow and had a great experience and time in the field. i learned a ton of information even tho i didnt tag an elk. i did have a chance to shoot a cow opening morning and chose not to as i was out to learn and hunt bulls that first weekend. I live in South East NM and i love the outdoors and I am not afraid of hiking or putting in the hard work to get things done. I have thought of trying for an OTC elk hunt in Southern CO for maybe 2017 as i need to save up the funds to make it happen. If anyone is interested in hooking up and planning something id love to get things started by way of dialogue and getting on the same page. I have no clue where to start on this adventure but i have decided to make it happen. let me know if your interested.

Mike
14' Bowtech RPM 360. 29", 67#
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows

08' Diamond Rock, 29" ,65#
100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows
Mike_Parson

Postby RichM » 04 28, 2016 •  [Post 69]

RichM wrote:I put in for rifle NM unit 34 late November and early December elk hunts and Unit 16 archery deer. If I draw I'll be looking for help, if I don't draw I'll be looking to help/learn.
Now just to wait till April 27.

No joy for me. I am still willing to help someone who did draw in Southern NM.
RichM

First Name: Rich

Postby JKaboom » 05 15, 2016 •  [Post 70]

Great thread :)

I have to say I am very fortunate this year and was able to get in on a 34 year and running elk camp. I have been volunteering with my local RMEF chapter for 3 years. It's been more difficult to find elk hunting partners or camp to join than fishing no doubt. I have not hunted elk but have hunted whitetail deer in the mid-west.

New to this forum and really have enjoyed reading so far. This forum seems fairly friendly and well managed. I hope to contribute as time goes on.
JKaboom

Postby TurkeyBowMaster » 05 15, 2016 •  [Post 71]

I am sort of in the same boat. I debate on hunting solo and camping in my truck with bivy camping options, or to get a partner to hunt with. Would be almost mandatory for them to be from the south so we could ride out together and save on gas. Trouble is I like hunting by myself but prefer a partner when packing out an elk. Still trying to decide.
TurkeyBowMaster

Postby Osprey » 05 16, 2016 •  [Post 72]

I hunted solo last season on a late Bull hunt and hired a packer to get my bull out. I don't have any friends interested in Western hunting and my dad goes with me sometimes however due to his age and physical capabilites I'm much more limited with areas when I hunt with him. He also doesn't want to do all the hunts I do so I end up hunting solo half or more trips. I honestly enjoy hunting solo for many reasons and I tend to be much more successful when I do however it is not for everybody especially by day 7 in the back country. If you really want to go and you don't mind hunting solo I wouldn't limit yourself because you don't have a partner you only live once and you never get a season back. A partner would be ideal especially one that matches your hunting style but its not the end all without one at least for me. I also live in Indiana so if drive distance solo is an issue which I hear guys talk about than you probably don't REALLY want it you just liked the idea of going.
Osprey

Postby Trott2478 » 05 22, 2016 •  [Post 73]

I posted before, still looking for a partner, would like to go to idaho because of season dates and multiple tags. Rifle hunt for upto 10 days, camp near the truck but possibly back pack out a few days at a time. There is also still time that we can group apply for a managed unit but backup plan right now is salmon unit. Please let me know, open to suggestions
Trott2478

Postby MidwestHunter » 05 24, 2016 •  [Post 74]

Osprey wrote:I hunted solo last season on a late Bull hunt and hired a packer to get my bull out. I don't have any friends interested in Western hunting and my dad goes with me sometimes however due to his age and physical capabilites I'm much more limited with areas when I hunt with him. He also doesn't want to do all the hunts I do so I end up hunting solo half or more trips. I honestly enjoy hunting solo for many reasons and I tend to be much more successful when I do however it is not for everybody especially by day 7 in the back country. If you really want to go and you don't mind hunting solo I wouldn't limit yourself because you don't have a partner you only live once and you never get a season back. A partner would be ideal especially one that matches your hunting style but its not the end all without one at least for me. I also live in Indiana so if drive distance solo is an issue which I hear guys talk about than you probably don't REALLY want it you just liked the idea of going.

Another local Indianaian. This coming year will be my first year on elk hunt out west (or east/north/south/central). We are currently planning on driving out to Montana this fall for the rifle season with my dad and a few siblings (that may or may not go). We have most of the equipment (wall tent/stove/spike tent) and an idea of where we are going based on some co-workers tips from their last trip. Do you do very many DIY hunts?
MidwestHunter

Postby Osprey » 06 01, 2016 •  [Post 75]

Another local Indianaian. This coming year will be my first year on elk hunt out west (or east/north/south/central). We are currently planning on driving out to Montana this fall for the rifle season with my dad and a few siblings (that may or may not go). We have most of the equipment (wall tent/stove/spike tent) and an idea of where we are going based on some co-workers tips from their last trip. Do you do very many DIY hunts?[/quote]

I started heading west in 2012 and since then I've been in 13, 15 only missed 14 since I was in AK hunting Sitka Deer and harlequins and this year I wont be able to make it since most my vac time is going into a Canada Moose trip. However I've done a pile of out of state hunts for waterfowl I've taken all but a few of North Americas waterfowl and hunted close to half the US as far as waterfowl goes, do a lot of mini trips for turkey, waterfowl, upland (grouse, woodcock, pheasant). basically just about every weekend from Sept through mid Feb I'm hunting then mid feb through march I'm post season deer scouting then transition into turkey scouting and Turkey hunting April and May in which I take a 3 month break give or take since I live to far to summer scout Elk and Mulies and don't have vac time to do it. My off time I spend chasing my other passion Salmon and Steelhead. Looking forward to putting some Coho and kings in the boat this sat and we got into some summer run steelhead this past weekend. I guess I'm reallly reallly lucky to have a gf that puts up with all that :D . As I get more vac at work I'm going to start doing 2 western big game trips a year, next year I will be chasing Mulies and Elk on two seperate trips unless I change plans but as of now thats what I'm planning. Most of the trips I do are DIY style and my mulie hunt next year will be solo and elk will probably be with my dad in the area I hunted this past season. I found a few areas Elk frequently pass through that he can sit on while I head off into harder to reach areas. The planning and research of DIY hunts are part of the fun building to anticipation of the hunt to come which once you have been will eat at you pretty hard throughout the year. I honestly think about Elk probably daily and many days hourly. You should have a fun hunt just remember its not always about the kill, if you put time in and hunt hard eventually you are rewarded thats a fact in everything hunting. The reward may not come that year or the next but it will eventually come stick with it and welcome to Elk hunting.
Osprey

Postby kmiller_56 » 07 01, 2016 •  [Post 76]

Pulled Unit 61 in Colorado archery tag for this fall. I will be hunting solo so if anyone else has been lucky enough to hunt this unit for the archery season let me know maybe we can be a team?
I do know that this will be my only chance at this unit and want to make the best of it.
Being I live in Colorado I will be making as many trips as possible to make this a season to remember.
If you care to chat PM me and we can go from there.
Thanks for your time.
kmiller_56

Postby Sioux33 » 07 12, 2016 •  [Post 77]

I'll be heading to Central MT for the first week of archery season and possibly looking for a partner. I've got a general tag and had planned on going solo, but it'll definitely help my wife sleep better at night if I'm out there with someone else! I'm from MN, 32 years old, work out all year and am willing to work my butt off to kill an elk. This will be my 3rd archery season in MT, we usually have 4 of us that go but this year I'm the only lucky one and I'd rather be chasing elk solo than sitting at work dreaming about it. I typically wait till later in September, but this is the only week I have open this year. If anyone's interested in teaming up, give me a shout and maybe we can make something happen!
Sioux33

Postby JordanMOFLCO » 07 13, 2016 •  [Post 78]

I started hunting elk in CO in 2006 when I lived in MO. Spent some time on the forums over the years.....mostly trying to have fun and stir up trouble.....LOL I spent 3 years in FL and now I live in Louisville, CO. SO happy to be in CO paying resident fees and being able to dash off into the high country when the mood strikes me after work or on a weekend.

I generally hunt in 25 and 34 or down in 77 and 78. I have hunted 39 one year and hope to again soon. I have 5 points for elk and 1 for deer now....and they are resident points now. wooohooo!

I have my hunting buddies from MO still coming each fall and plan to hang out with them over a long weekend during muzzleloader for elk. I will be packing a bow.

If there are any folks in CO who would like to hang out, talk elk, do some scouting, just fart around shooting bows or walking the woods in the high country.......or looking for a hunting pard.......well let me know. I'm game and I love to learn from others.
Jordan
JordanMOFLCO

Postby JordanMOFLCO » 07 14, 2016 •  [Post 79]

I guess I'm a ThreadKilla........ LOL
Jordan
JordanMOFLCO

Postby Indian Summer » 07 18, 2016 •  [Post 80]

Lots of good Colorado guys on here. I think they just don't check in on this thread. I don't think it should be too hard to find someone who wants to hunt with a Colorado resident hell raiser who has some elk hunting experience. Well.... maybe the stir up trouble part scared them off!
Indian Summer

Postby Navesgane » 07 19, 2016 •  [Post 81]

Putting myself out there if anyone is looking for info or help in SW Colorado area around Ridgway/Ouray/Teluride area. Been living in the area for 5 years, have elk hunted 3. Will hunt OTC archery, 2nd rifle buck, and 5th rifle cow PP (if needed) this year.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby VT Sasquatch » 08 01, 2016 •  [Post 82]

I applied for a muzzleloader tag and was not drawn but I am still hoping to get an OTC archery tag for unit 41 in CO. I have an injured hand (mountain bike crash) and I cannot shoot my bow right now. I was waiting to make sure I heal up but I may just order a tag in case they run out. I'll post details of where I am going to be in case anyone wants to meet up for a beverage.
VT Sasquatch

Postby JordanMOFLCO » 08 02, 2016 •  [Post 83]

If GMU 41 in CO is OTC for Elk, I didn't check, then no worry about running out of tags. Just wait until you get to CO and go to a Walmart or other license agent and buy an OTC tag and use it in any OTC unit. I've never heard of them running out of these tags.
Jordan
JordanMOFLCO

Postby saddlesore » 08 05, 2016 •  [Post 84]

Unit 41 is OTC with no limit of quantity . Valid for 2nd & 3 rd seasons. 1st and 4th season is draw only
saddlesore

Postby bald9eagle » 08 08, 2016 •  [Post 85]

Thought I would revisit this one. There will be a couple of us coming from Alabama going to SW Colorado. If anyone needs someone to hang out with in the backcountry just send a PM. Like I said above, I like the idea of forum users linking up and making the most of a hunt if their areas overlap. Instead of hunting against one another you can help each other out and increase the chances of success.
bald9eagle

Postby mavmskyb8 » 08 09, 2016 •  [Post 86]

Hi Guys-
56 year old experienced elk hunter, going archery solo first 9 days of the season and last 9 days of the season. Have popup, 4 wheeler, tipi for spike camp. Not as fast as I once was, slow and steady. Unit 75 & 751 Colorado.

Let me know!

Cheers!

Bret
mavmskyb8

First Name: Bret
Last Name: Ehret

Postby currie » 08 18, 2016 •  [Post 87]

hey bret i'll be in unit 75 as well around sept 13th ish for about 10 days. u gonna camp at trailhead or in the backcountry.
currie

Postby mavmskyb8 » 08 19, 2016 •  [Post 88]

I'm going up Thursday nite, August 25th, going home on the 7th. Going back the 15th, hunting till the 25th. Have to pick my son up at the Durango airport on the 19th.

Thanks-
Bret
mavmskyb8

First Name: Bret
Last Name: Ehret

Postby currie » 09 18, 2016 •  [Post 89]

Just got back from Colorado had to take care of some work stuff, if anyone from south Texas/ San Antonio area that wants to go for the last week of archery and wants to share a ride let me know.
currie

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 19, 2016 •  [Post 90]

I'd be happy to hunt with any of you guys, especially cookie demon.
VT Sasquatch

Postby oldnovice » 10 05, 2016 •  [Post 91]

Hunting 2nd Rifle in Colorado GMU18 this year. I would be happy to share a camp fire with any of you. Mostly will be staying in Granby and venturing out each morning. Will likely stay out a couple of nights if we see anything interesting. I have mulie buck and Elk cow tags for this one. I have already been doing some scouting and there are a lot of mulies in this area. The cow tag was just in case an opportunity came up.

oldnovice

Postby Rockymountainthigh » 02 02, 2017 •  [Post 92]

Anyone looking at 2018 Colorado archery 4ish point(s) no set gmu yet?? Coming from Wisconsin mid 30s active/in shape(ish) easy to get along with, don't want to tak politics or religion tho..
Rockymountainthigh

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 93]

I just drew a area 41 tag for wy, my WY friend is an ex guide, he has applied for same area, thinks he has a 40% chance of drawing, if he is unsuccessful I will be on my own.
its my first try for an elk. I am an expert coyote stalker, used to hunt deer with a compound bow, harvested a nice mule deer with a crossbow at 14 yds 3 years ago. 2 years ago I bought the best crossbow made, a Scorpyd, shoots 409 at the bow and 353ftps at 85 yds, about 1" groups at 80ydss.
now I just need to learn how to cow call and learn a little more about hunting them
Scorpyd shooter

Postby elkfever » 04 04, 2017 •  [Post 94]

Hi guys, general elk tag in Montana. Planning to go from around the 15th of September to the 30th. I've had good success the past 4 years but don't have a partner for this year. Tough hunting with lots of leg miles. Give me a shout if anyone is thinking of doing something similar. Usually spend 2-4 nights in the backcountry then come out for a day before heading back in.
elkfever

Postby Barnesnbow » 04 09, 2017 •  [Post 95]

Elk fever pm'd you
Barnesnbow

Postby Indian Summer » 04 10, 2017 •  [Post 96]

Barnesnbow wrote:Elk fever pm'd you

Hey there you are! Glad to see you took my advice and looked us up. But FYI you need to make at least 3 posts on here before you can send or receive PMs. So just find a topic that interests you and make a random comment or 2 and you'll be set. It sounds like elkfever will be what you're looking for huh?

Good luck and welcome aboard Barnes.
Indian Summer

Postby Barnesnbow » 04 11, 2017 •  [Post 97]

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks
Barnesnbow

Postby nialltom » 05 01, 2017 •  [Post 98]

Brand new to this forum. Just found it by googling "elk hunting partner" as I'm planning on going to Colorado for the start of archery elk season this year. I'll be out there from season opener until about the 31st and would rather not go alone as this would be my first time hunting archery elk. I've hunted in rifle seasons before but not archery. I'm in mid 30s, pretty good shape, easy going, and willing to put in the effort. If anybody is interested in talking further, just let me know.
nialltom

Postby six » 05 02, 2017 •  [Post 99]

nialltom

Where are you from? That will narrow it down for a lot of guys. What are you looking for? Truck camp, hiking in to camp a few miles?
six

Postby nialltom » 05 03, 2017 •  [Post 100]

I live in Illinois. I would be open to truck camping or hiking in a few miles and camping/hunting from there. If truck camping, I may bring along an RV to use as a base camp depending on accessibility.
nialltom

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 03, 2017 •  [Post 101]

Where about in Illinois do you hang your hat. I'm a former Illini. I was originally from the Carlinville area. in Macoupin county. Always willing to give a fellow Illini a little help.
>>>---WW---->

Postby nialltom » 05 04, 2017 •  [Post 102]

I appreciate that! I'm all ears and have been doing what I can to get ready for the season - going to the range every chance I get and keeping a consistent cardio routine to get my lungs as prepared for high altitude hunting as I can here closer to sea level. I'm in Plainfield which is in between Joliet and Naperville in Will county.
nialltom

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 07, 2017 •  [Post 103]

Ahhhh! You're one of those northern yankee boys. LOL! If you can possibly plan your hunt a couple of weeks later, it might be a better experience for you. The first week or so is usually hot weather. But some guys really like getting the first chance so they prefer the first of the season. I can't be much help in the hunting partner part, but I'll be glad to help out in any other way I can, Have you picked a unit to hunt in yet?
>>>---WW---->

Postby nialltom » 05 10, 2017 •  [Post 104]

Yeah, I'd ideally like to be out there in mid september some time, but I have something I have to go to the weekend of the 15th, and I have a friend in the Steamboat area that I'm hoping to meet up with to hunt for a few days over Labor day weekend so I'm trying to find someone in NW Co that I can hunt with before then.

I don't have a specific unit yet, but am looking toward somewhere in the NW part of Colorado. Once I narrow it down more, maybe I'll bounce some questions off ya :)

Thanks!
nialltom

Postby saddlesore » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 105]

I might be looking for a partner, 2nd rifle Colorado, Will either hunt unit 4 if there are cow tags left or unit 54 OTC bull.Must have horses or mules. I have one pack mule and one saddle mule.Hunt will be camping at truck and riding in every day 3-5 miles
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 106]

Hard to ride in 3-5 miles anywhere in unit 4 without running into hunters coming in from the other direction.
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 05 17, 2017 •  [Post 107]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Hard to ride in 3-5 miles anywhere in unit 4 without running into hunters coming in from the other direction.

Might have to go to 25then. Just going by a tip from someone else. Never been up there
saddlesore

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 07 04, 2017 •  [Post 108]

I'm hunting area 41 in bighorns, wy, anyone else going there?
Scorpyd shooter

Postby abow » 07 08, 2017 •  [Post 109]

Howdy -

New guy here. I'll be in Co unit 54 for 4th season. Waiting to hear about leftover deer draws to figure out my plan for 2nd/3rd season.
abow

Postby Indian Summer » 07 17, 2017 •  [Post 110]

Welcome aboard Abow!
Scorpyd shooter wrote:I'm hunting area 41 in bighorns, wy, anyone else going there?

Scorp I hunted 43 last year. Are you bow hunting or gun?
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 111]

abow wrote:Howdy -

New guy here. I'll be in Co unit 54 for 4th season. Waiting to hear about leftover deer draws to figure out my plan for 2nd/3rd season.

Welcome Abow. You might reconsider Unit 54 in the later seasons.There are some things going on in that unit, especially the east side . PM me if you are interested in details. I have hunted it on and off since about 1995
saddlesore

Postby SoCo Mark » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 112]

Hey Saddlesore, I've sent/resent you a pm. My original is still in my Outbox, and nothing in my Sent box. I'm thinking you have not got it.

I might be mistaken, but I think I ran into you at the 54 TH last labor day wkend. You were headed in as I was headed out. I've hunted 54 since "07 and would like to chat with you via pm, if you don't mind.

If I didn't run into you last year, I apologize.

Thanks,
Mark.
SoCo Mark

Last Name: C

Postby saddlesore » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 113]

SoCo Mark wrote:Hey Saddlesore, I've sent/resent you a pm. My original is still in my Outbox, and nothing in my Sent box. I'm thinking you have not got it.

I might be mistaken, but I think I ran into you at the 54 TH last labor day wkend. You were headed in as I was headed out. I've hunted 54 since "07 and would like to chat with you via pm, if you don't mind.

If I didn't run into you last year, I apologize.

Thanks,
Mark.

Never got the message.Try me at vmautino@msn.com. I'll be happy to help if I can
Probably wasn't me last Labor day as I am usually heading out for Unit 12,south of Craig CO, for my ML hunt about that time.I was down there in 2nd rifle season.
saddlesore

Postby MikeCfromWV » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 114]

I know this may be a little early but I figured it was best to start looking now. I'm looking for someone to help me out in 2018 on a elk hunt doesn't have to be any particular state or time but I have zero points for any state so it would more than likely have to be otc tags. I have never hunted elk and know very little about hunting them but it's something I've wanted to do for years. I'm 25 and in what I'd like to think is good shape so if anything I could help pack stuff in and out. I'm an electrician in a coal mines in West Virginia so I don't have a whole lot of time off I can take so it's hard for me to take the time to get out west and scout and learn how to hunt them plus take the time off to hunt them. So really I'm just looking for a helping hand to help get me on my first elk of course I'd like to take a bull but if all else fails a cow is fine to. I'd possibly be willing to compensate for the help.
MikeCfromWV

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 115]

Indian summer, I'm archery hunting, thinking of waiting til after labor day to start. Hoping to stay 2 weeks if I have to
Scorpyd shooter

Postby abow » 08 16, 2017 •  [Post 116]

saddlesore wrote:
abow wrote:Howdy -

Welcome Abow. You might reconsider Unit 54 in the later seasons.There are some things going on in that unit, especially the east side . PM me if you are interested in details. I have hunted it on and off since about 1995

Thanks! Didn't catch this message until now. I'll send you a PM!
abow

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 09 11, 2017 •  [Post 117]

Indian summer, my friend goes to 43, he is taking his 13 year old daughter this year, he knows two WI guys that hunt there
Scorpyd shooter

Postby Dorobuta » 10 04, 2017 •  [Post 118]

Ever since my son moved to Virginia, and my other hunting partner moved to North Carolina, I've been severely limited on my hunting. The wife doesn't want me to go on solo hunts. I have a couple of friends that rifle hunt, but I'd rather bow hunt. So I'm constantly looking for people to hunt with...

Travel is not a problem, with enough planning in advance.
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby Swede » 10 04, 2017 •  [Post 119]

Welcome to the forum Durobuta. I hope you can find a good fit for an archery hunt. Something to consider is hunting solo, but camping near another hunter or party. Those are easy to find and most are friendly and helpful. If you have an idea where you would like to hunt, you may find someone to tag along with here. That would be in addition to a general search.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 04, 2017 •  [Post 120]

Another hearty welcome to the forum bud. Pull up a log by the fire and chime in whenever you wish!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Dorobuta » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 121]

thanks, plan B is to spend the money for a guided hunt, which has pluses and minuses, like having extra hands and eyes as a plus, and cost as a minus.
Dorobuta

Postby explorerss » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 122]

I may be looking for a partner for Montana archery hunt next year. Anyone from wisconsin on here?
explorerss

First Name: chad

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 13, 2017 •  [Post 123]

Is anyone here planning to hunt Colorado GMU 421 next year? I am planning a return trip (either 2018 or 2019, depending on other options) and would like to hunt the September muzzleloader season. My last trip was solo. I would be interested in sharing a base camp if anyone is interested. I have my own tent and gear (4x4 truck, ATV, etc.) but it would be nice to have some company to share knowledge and discuss tactics with.
VT Sasquatch

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 13, 2017 •  [Post 124]

bald9eagle wrote:If anyone wants to tag along with us from Sept. 16-23 in southern Colorado that would be great. Hunting and drinking don't mix in my camp.

Damn, I wish I had seen this before.
VT Sasquatch

Postby robloft » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 125]

Has anyone had any luck on here finding a hunting partner? I'm looking for one for either the 2018 or 1019 season. I'm not sure what state I will be going to yet. I am from Mississippi so hopefully someone in the southeast is still looking for a hunting buddy. I would also like some input from hunters who travel out west and hunt about the best states to apply for tags and their success rates in certain areas. Advice from the locals from elk hunting states would also be appreciated.
robloft

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 126]

Robloft: I have met up with other hunters from other sites but not here. I am in PA so not in your area but I unsuccessfully hunted OTC public land in Colorado last fall. I am happy to share whatever info I have learned. Obviously, a local could probably help you a lot more. I can say that despite some mechanical issues, mild altitude sickness and no elk kill, I had a great time and I am 100 percent happy that I went. I intend to go again in 2018 or 2019 as well.
VT Sasquatch

Postby robloft » 12 15, 2017 •  [Post 127]

VT Sasquatch wrote:Robloft: I have met up with other hunters from other sites but not here. I am in PA so not in your area but I unsuccessfully hunted OTC public land in Colorado last fall. I am happy to share whatever info I have learned. Obviously, a local could probably help you a lot more. I can say that despite some mechanical issues, mild altitude sickness and no elk kill, I had a great time and I am 100 percent happy that I went. I intend to go again in 2018 or 2019 as well.

How was your experience meeting up with other hunters? I can't send a pm yet because of being new to the site but when I get a few more posts will it be ok if I PM you and ask some questions? Also, how is the deer hunting in Pennsylvania? My fiancé is from NY and I we go up there about once a year.
robloft

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 15, 2017 •  [Post 128]

Hi Robloft: My experience meeting up with other hunters has always been good. It has only been a few times but I only ever had one bad experience and it was not someone I met through an online forum. I am pretty laid back in personality so I get along well with a wide variety of people. Some folks are more particular than me but as long as they let their guest/partner know their expectations up front, it probably works out well. For example, the guy above says drinking and hunting don't mix. He would obviously clash with some guys who go to hunting camps mostly to drink and play poker. I knew a guy who was an Evangelical Christian who would not allow any alcohol to his camp, prohibited curse words and had prayers before hunts and meals. If I got the impression that someone was dangerous, a poacher, disrespectful of nature, a druggy or an excessive drinker, I would steer clear myself. Otherwise, I am not easily offended.

The one bad experience that I had with a random hunter was with a guy I met in Vermont where I have a small, rustic cabin and 130 acres. When I had first bought the land (no cabin yet) I was ice fishing and he was very friendly, especially when he heard I was from out of town and owned land. He asked me my name and where my property was and I made the mistake of telling him. For a few years he would randomly show up and hunt without permission. I know this because the guy who owns the land ran into him a couple times and he claimed that he had my permission to hunt (he didn't). Finally, he tried again while the cabin was being built. He was confronted by the builder and said that he had my permission. The builder called me that night and I told him that it was a guy that I talked to for 10 minutes and never gave him permission to hunt. When he showed up the next day to hunt, the builder kicked him out. The next morning, the builder came back an found a HUGE human turd against the back wall of the cabin. The was paper (so it was human) and the perp had leaned against the back wall and laid a turd like I had never seen. I went up to confront the guy but he never came back. I have no idea how he found my property but I guess it isn't that hard in a really small town.

By the way, the hunting for deer in PA is pretty good. It depends on the area. We have a small (13 acres) property in Eastern PA that backs up to thousands of acres of public land. It gets hunted hard but most years I get a buck. The sizes nothing extraordinary though. Vermont has less than half of the deer per square mile as Pennsylvania. Deer hunting up there is fair, at best, but I enjoy the challenge. My two biggest buck were taken in Vermont. (The one below dressed out at 202 lbs.) The fishing, grouse and woodcock hunting are all good though. If you ever decide to come to PA for some deer hunting, you would be welcome to come along (I assume you are not a crazy like I described). Vermont too but there is no electricity or bathroom.

VT Sasquatch

Postby robloft » 12 19, 2017 •  [Post 129]

[quote="VT Sasquatch"]
By the way, the hunting for deer in PA is pretty good. It depends on the area. We have a small (13 acres) property in Eastern PA that backs up to thousands of acres of public land. It gets hunted hard but most years I get a buck. The sizes nothing extraordinary though. Vermont has less than half of the deer per square mile as Pennsylvania. Deer hunting up there is fair, at best, but I enjoy the challenge. My two biggest buck were taken in Vermont. (The one below dressed out at 202 lbs.) The fishing, grouse and woodcock hunting are all good though. If you ever decide to come to PA for some deer hunting, you would be welcome to come along (I assume you are not a crazy like I described). Vermont too but there is no electricity or bathroom.

I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on the offer one day. I enjoy hunting in a new place, especially a place with good hunting.
robloft

Postby robloft » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 130]

Still looking for a possible partner for a rifle hunt in either Wyoming or southwest Colorado if anyone is interested. I am from north Mississippi.
robloft

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 04, 2018 •  [Post 131]

Finally, got the call every dad hopes for. My son called me the other day. He’d closed his gun shop, partners not doing their part.
Now that he has free time (even with 2 little girls) he’s looking at getting back into hunting. Wants to start with and black bear hunt then start chasing elk with dad next year. This ol man could not be happier. Would still be open to hooking up with another elk hunter in Illinois. Three’s not a crowd.
Elkhntr08

Postby Russellm66 » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 132]

Elkhntr08 wrote:Finally, got the call every dad hopes for. My son called me the other day. He’d closed his gun shop, partners not doing their part.
Now that he has free time (even with 2 little girls) he’s looking at getting back into hunting. Wants to start with and black bear hunt then start chasing elk with dad next year. This ol man could not be happier. Would still be open to hooking up with another elk hunter in Illinois. Three’s not a crowd.

Hey Elkhntr08 ILLINOIS boy here also looking for a hunting Partner I’m near the Springfield area where are you located??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russellm66

First Name: RUSSELL

Postby neverforget » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 133]

My friend and I are looking to book a drop camp hunt in Colorado unit 12.. 2nd or 3rd rifle season in 2019 it is with J Bar H outfitters they are as i have found out a very reputable outfitter. Both myself and partner are experience hunters and are looking for 2 more likewise hunters to fill out the needed requirement of 4 for the camp.
We are doing this drop hunt to get away from the crowds and not having to pack our animal out on our backs as we are both in our 50's . we are looking to harvest a animal but if the opportunity doesn't present itself we will be just as happy being out sitting around the fire and telling the stories of the one that got away... we both like a few cold beers at night after the hunt is done and not afraid to help out in any situation that may arise.

The outfitter has only a few spaces left for 2019 so it is of great importance to find the right people quickly ,the cost is 2800.00 per hunter for the week not including the tag which in this unit is a OTC bull or if you want you can attempt to draw a cow their have been tags left over in the past. Bull tags as of 2018 are around 644 dollars your part of the down payment will be 700.00 per hunter to secure the spot.
http://www.jbarhoutfitters.com/elk-hunts.html... check out the web site I have never hunted with her before but have spoken to her twice in the last 3 days and she is very sincere in her beliefs and the approach she takes in her business
Thanks Tom

Edited to include email twwilson1016@gmail.com
neverforget

Postby Swede » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 134]

Tom, welcome to W.T. I hope you find the hunting partner that works well for you. Feel welcome to join in out forum discussions. We have a lot of experienced hunters and great folks here. Anyway roll a wood block close to the campfire to sit on, and join in.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 17, 2018 •  [Post 135]

neverforget: Maybe you should get in touch with the two other Illinois guys that posted just ahead of you. they are Russellm66 from Springfield area and Elkhtr08 down around I-70 . And as Swede said, "wELKome"!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 17, 2018 •  [Post 136]

Tom, what part of Illinois are you in? I’m more of a DIY hunter, but always interested in meeting other elk hunters.
Elkhntr08

Postby neverforget » 02 17, 2018 •  [Post 137]

I am from the northern part of the state 30 miles north of chicago along the lake
neverforget

Postby Indian Summer » 02 19, 2018 •  [Post 138]

neverforget wrote:My friend and I are looking to book a drop camp hunt in Colorado unit 12.. 2nd or 3rd rifle season in 2019 it is with J Bar H outfitters they are as i have found out a very reputable outfitter. Both myself and partner are experience hunters and are looking for 2 more likewise hunters to fill out the needed requirement of 4 for the camp.
We are doing this drop hunt to get away from the crowds and not having to pack our animal out on our backs as we are both in our 50's . we are looking to harvest a animal but if the opportunity doesn't present itself we will be just as happy being out sitting around the fire and telling the stories of the one that got away... we both like a few cold beers at night after the hunt is done and not afraid to help out in any situation that may arise.

The outfitter has only a few spaces left for 2019 so it is of great importance to find the right people quickly ,the cost is 2800.00 per hunter for the week not including the tag which in this unit is a OTC bull or if you want you can attempt to draw a cow their have been tags left over in the past. Bull tags as of 2018 are around 644 dollars your part of the down payment will be 700.00 per hunter to secure the spot.
http://www.jbarhoutfitters.com/elk-hunts.html... check out the web site I have never hunted with her before but have spoken to her twice in the last 3 days and she is very sincere in her beliefs and the approach she takes in her business
Thanks

Edited to include email twwilson1016@gmail.com

$2800 is the highest price I’ve ever heard of for a drop camp. I’ve sold semi guided hunts for $2850 which included a full time cook and a fully guided hunt for the first day to familiarize you with the area. I hope that’s a hell of a camp in a hell of an area with food included. Good luck.
Indian Summer

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 19, 2018 •  [Post 139]

I agree. 1500ish is what I’ve been quoted but I could see 2k. Heck man, the times are changing... not only are guys more willing to do it themselves but apparently guys are also willing to pay 9k to have someone walk em out to a 300” ranch bull.
Joe Schmo

Postby saddlesore » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 140]

"I hope that’s a hell of a camp in a hell of an area" Believe me , it is. This lady who owns & runs it has very few openings each year,as most clients are repeat .Right now,she only has a few openings left in 2019. That is in itself speaks to how good it is.
saddlesore

Postby neverforget » 02 21, 2018 •  [Post 141]

Joe Schmo wrote:I agree. 1500ish is what I’ve been quoted but I could see 2k. Heck man, the times are changing... not only are guys more willing to do it themselves but apparently guys are also willing to pay 9k to have someone walk em out to a 300” ranch bull.

$2800 is the highest price I’ve ever heard of for a drop camp. I’ve sold semi guided hunts for $2850 which included a full time cook and a fully guided hunt for the first day to familiarize you with the area. I hope that’s a hell of a camp in a hell of an area with food included. Good luck.[/quote

If you guys want to PM me some info that would be great, I am getting all different prices i have been looking, i have all last years registered outfitters for the state if you drop me a name i will be glad to inquire. I already hunt in the state so its not like i am new to thye concept.
Tom
neverforget

Postby robloft » 04 06, 2018 •  [Post 142]

Is anyone interested in a hunting partner for Montana? I have posted in here before with info about myself. I and looking for a hunting buddy for my first elk hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby saddlesore » 04 07, 2018 •  [Post 143]

Look at the J Bar H website.Those bulls are ones she takes every year,not just a few smatterings from past year.They pack your elk out no matter where you shot it. Have a walk in cooler right at the base camp.Your camp includes all fire wood cut and stacked , a propane fired kitchen with all kitchen tools, an outside fire great,cots with foam, wood stroves. Separate cook and sleeping tents. You wont find your camp used in the same year before you.
There is a reason she was voted Outfitter of the Year, was appointed to the Colorado Wildlife Commission,she is booking hunts two years in the future, and most of her clients are repeats for several years in a row .You get what you pay for.Get a list of references and you won't find one negative content from them.
Stop at her base camp and you will find she is about the only outfitter that will treat a nonpaying client the same as her paying clients
saddlesore

Postby Trophyhill » 04 20, 2018 •  [Post 144]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Geez louise, it's hard to find good help these days ;)

Lmao
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Mudpuppy » 04 23, 2018 •  [Post 145]

Retired from Huntington WV & would like to find a partner to go on 1st elk hunt, have hunted white tail most of my life.

Harvey
Mudpuppy

Postby Vids » 06 07, 2018 •  [Post 146]

I'll throw my name in the hat, I'm from CO and may be looking for a partner to hunt OTC archery here this year. Just having too much trouble getting on the same page with my current partner regarding when/where/how long, etc.

I've elk hunted for 15 years in CO, killed a few during rifle season but not during archery. I know how to call, quarter, where to find them and am in pretty good shape for a 42 year old that spends most of his time chasing little kids around. I'm up for packing in or hunting from a road camp. I know some spots, have some new ones I'd like to try, and am open to other ideas.

My preferred method is to hunt together and take turns as caller/shooter, but am willing to split up during the day as well. I'll go solo if I have to but I like having a partner there to pack animals out or help out if something goes wrong. I enjoy a couple cold IPAs after the day is over but not enough to get in the way of hitting it hard the next morning.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested in chatting.

Thanks,
Vids
Vids

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Vidlock

Postby Dorobuta » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 147]

Vids wrote:I'll throw my name in the hat, I'm from CO and may be looking for a partner to hunt OTC archery here this year. Just having too much trouble getting on the same page with my current partner regarding when/where/how long, etc.

I've elk hunted for 15 years in CO, killed a few during rifle season but not during archery. I know how to call, quarter, where to find them and am in pretty good shape for a 42 year old that spends most of his time chasing little kids around. I'm up for packing in or hunting from a road camp. I know some spots, have some new ones I'd like to try, and am open to other ideas.

My preferred method is to hunt together and take turns as caller/shooter, but am willing to split up during the day as well. I'll go solo if I have to but I like having a partner there to pack animals out or help out if something goes wrong. I enjoy a couple cold IPAs after the day is over but not enough to get in the way of hitting it hard the next morning.

Thanks,
Vids

I'd be willing to hunt with you, but 2018 is out for me. If you're still interested next year, we should touch base and see if it is a workable thing. We may not get along, or we may end up being good friends...but until we touch base who knows?
Dorobuta

Postby Indian Summer » 07 21, 2018 •  [Post 148]

Vids wrote:I'll throw my name in the hat, I'm from CO and may be looking for a partner to hunt OTC archery here this year. Just having too much trouble getting on the same page with my current partner regarding when/where/how long, etc.

Thanks,
Vids

Hello!!! This guy sounds like the perfect partner. If anyone is looking for a place to hunt this year with possible future hunts I’d be getting in touch. I check this forum once in a blue moon even though I don’t need a partner and this is the best opportunity I’ve seen in awhile.
Indian Summer

Postby Docmort » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 149]

Possibly need at least 1 guy to go with us drop camp 3rd rifle unit 12. J bar H.
Docmort

Postby Vids » 09 06, 2018 •  [Post 150]

Thanks for the kind words, Indian Summer! I'm certainly no expert, but I'm not new to this game either.

I never found the right partner for 2018 archery, though there were some good ones that reached out to me on this site and others. Just weren't looking at the same areas and time frames, so nothing worked out. However, I did find a good partner for a first rifle hunt so that is my game plan this year. We are currently planning a hunt and I think it will work out well. I'm still looking, and ideally would like to find some folks that live in the Denver metro area so we could meet up and shoot the breeze, or go for a training hike.

Whoever thought that finding the perfect hunting partner would be tougher than finding a wife? :lol:
Vids

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Vidlock

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 151]

Docmort wrote:Possibly need at least 1 guy to go with us drop camp 3rd rifle unit 12. J bar H.

I wish I could but it's too late for me to schedule this year. I am really itching to get back out there. I will definitely be hunting elk in the fall of 2019 if anyone needs a drop camp partner.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Docmort » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 152]

Sasquatch we are going 3rd rifle 19
Docmort

Postby six » 10 04, 2018 •  [Post 153]

Vids wrote:Whoever thought that finding the perfect hunting partner would be tougher than finding a wife? :lol:

truth
six

Postby Highrider » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 154]

Hey everyone - I am interested in hunting elk with gun or bow in Montana this year/fall - 2019.

My background - I am from Michigan (41yrs old/Central Michigan University alum/tech sales exec by trade), and have been hunting whitetail with bow and rifle since I was a young boy. I’ve been a backpacker for the last 15 years or so with many multi night hikes under my belt. I love the Michigan woods, but really want to hunt elk in Montana on public land. My MI hunting buddies are’t interested in elk (fools :)) Thing is; this will be my first elk, and mountain, hunt. I have already started training for the hunt physically. Open to backpacking or day tripping from truck camp.

I’m seeking a couple like-minded guys interested in teaming up on a hunt this year. Anybody out there in the same situation? Anyone from Michigan?

Thanks!
CJ
Highrider

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 155]

Welcome to the forum Highrider. I hope you can find suitable partners to hunt with in Montana. Feel free to join in on the conversations on the forum. The inmates here pretty much run the asylum. RJ makes sure they are kept sedated. :D
Swede

Postby six » 01 08, 2019 •  [Post 156]

Highrider wrote:Hey everyone - I am interested in hunting elk with gun or bow in Montana this year/fall - 2019.

My background - I am from Michigan (41yrs old/Central Michigan University alum/tech sales exec by trade), and have been hunting whitetail with bow and rifle since I was a young boy. I’ve been a backpacker for the last 15 years or so with many multi night hikes under my belt. I love the Michigan woods, but really want to hunt elk in Montana on public land. My MI hunting buddies are’t interested in elk (fools :)) Thing is; this will be my first elk, and mountain, hunt. I have already started training for the hunt physically. Open to backpacking or day tripping from truck camp.

I’m seeking a couple like-minded guys interested in teaming up on a hunt this year. Anybody out there in the same situation? Anyone from Michigan?

Thanks!
CJ

PM sent
six

Postby jbrownlow » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 157]

I live in East Tennessee and do most of my bow hunting in Kentucky where we are able to walk very short distances to stands and blinds. I am looking into going elk hunting in colorado, but certainly don't want to go alone. I typically hunt with my dad, but he is unable to handle the physicality of a western OTC, DIY hunt. If there's anyone willing, i'd love to tag along to learn the ropes...
disclaimer - I've never elk hunted and beyond some watching of videos a research, i have 0 experience. I would love to change that. I'm not looking for a handout, just a hand up.
jbrownlow

Postby jbrownlow » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 158]

Highrider wrote:Hey everyone - I am interested in hunting elk with gun or bow in Montana this year/fall - 2019.

Thanks!
CJ

tried to send you a DM, but it's stuck in the outbox, not sure what the problem is.

Saw your post from a few days ago. I posted to the same board today. i've been looking at colorado as it's a bit of a closer drive from East tennessee. I would be open to discussing options though.

Look forward to hearing from you.
jbrownlow

Postby Swede » 01 09, 2019 •  [Post 159]

Welcome to the forum jbrownlow. I hope you can find a good hunting partner. I have heard that finding a good hunting partner is as tough as finding a good spouse. I really don't know as I have no individual I consider my hunting partner, but I hunt with some good people. Anyway join in the conversations here. You will read a lot of different ideas by successful hunters that do an lot of things differently. With experience you will figure out what works best for where you hunt and your hunting style.
Swede

Postby six » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 160]

jbrownlow wrote:I live in East Tennessee and do most of my bow hunting in Kentucky where we are able to walk very short distances to stands and blinds. I am looking into going elk hunting in colorado, but certainly don't want to go alone. I typically hunt with my dad, but he is unable to handle the physicality of a western OTC, DIY hunt. If there's anyone willing, i'd love to tag along to learn the ropes...
disclaimer - I've never elk hunted and beyond some watching of videos a research, i have 0 experience. I would love to change that. I'm not looking for a handout, just a hand up.

jbrownlow

Watch some Born and Raised Outdoors on youtube. I just finished up this years 2.0 series. I've hunted elk for almost 15 years and I learned alot. I wouldn't hunt in grizz country by myself but Colorado I sure would. Enjoy.
six

Postby wl704 » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 161]

jbrownlow wrote:I live in East Tennessee and do most of my bow hunting in Kentucky where we are able to walk very short distances to stands and blinds. I am looking into going elk hunting in colorado, but certainly don't want to go alone. I typically hunt with my dad, but he is unable to handle the physicality of a western OTC, DIY hunt. If there's anyone willing, i'd love to tag along to learn the ropes...
I took up archery elk hunting a few years ago and am from NC. Good luck finding a partner, but I'll offer some suggestions.

An Rmef function or other conservation/hunting/shooting group might be a good place to look. Others looking to share in the learning experience, already experienced or have local contacts.

Most spots I've been have been pretty tough to get to and/or hunt all week. Public land in CO seems heavily pressured, the places we've been in elk are spots most people aren't wanting to go- don't equate that to foolish and dangerous spots to get to... we aren't hunting sheep ;) Getting in shape, while trying to find that partner, will only benefit you once in the western mtns. Endurance, cardio and mental game will serve you well.

A few decent extended trips, even in the Appalachians/Smokies are a decent way to assess your progress and gear readiness. And by the way, there are elk in the TN/NC mountains... if you can find sign, calls and/or their habitat, you might be able to leverage some of that knowledge. Food, water, safety are three things they will seek.

Work on your weapons proficiency. A friend of mine likes to relate elk hunting to rodeo 'ya got 8 seconds to make that perfect shot'. If you're bowhunting practice at longer and longer distances, form and technique will help even your shorter shots. Also, given the opportunity, practice step up and downhill shots.

Study, read, listen to everything you can about elk hunting, hunting the west. It's a bit different then most of us easterners experience.
wl704

Postby Bare Flat » 01 28, 2019 •  [Post 162]

I’m always don’t to hunt!
Bare Flat

Postby Elk101 » 04 03, 2019 •  [Post 163]

Thanks!
CJ

Another Michigan guy here looking to find some like minded folks. I've been to CO a couple times elk hunting. Went with an outfitter in 2017 and got my first elk and first with a bow. I'm now looking to do a back country (camp on my back) archery hunt. I have applied in NM, UT and CO plus the super longshot in KY. I'm prepared to go it alone if necessary, but would welcome a partner if it works out. That's why I didn't apply in MT and WY, not really comfortable going solo in grizzly country :shock:
Attachments
IMG_0917 small.JPG
IMG_0917 small.JPG (96.03 KiB) Viewed 54848 times
Elk101

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 03, 2019 •  [Post 164]

Welcome to the forum Elk101, glad to have you on board! I understand your reluctance to do backcountry hunts solo in big bear country, but, they won't bother you if you don't bother them ;). Area dependent in MT, WY, and even ID.... chances are you won't even see a big brown track let alone the owner of said tracks. Really, I do understand. Backcountry hunts are much, much better as a partner hunt anyway for many reasons. Good luck with your elk hunt partner search; I hope you work something out with a like minded cat from our forum and are able to get after them this fall! Lastly, send me your mailing address and I'll shoot one of the coveted WapitiTalk window decals your way (they are guaranteed to improve your success if displayed in the window of your hunting rig). RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elk101 » 04 04, 2019 •  [Post 165]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Welcome to the forum Elk101, glad to have you on board! I understand your reluctance to do backcountry hunts solo in big bear country, but, they won't bother you if you don't bother them ;). Area dependent in MT, WY, and even ID.... chances are you won't even see a big brown track let alone the owner of said tracks. Really, I do understand. Backcountry hunts are much, much better as a partner hunt anyway for many reasons. Good luck with your elk hunt partner search; I hope you work something out with a like minded cat from our forum and are able to get after them this fall! Lastly, send me your mailing address and I'll shoot one of the coveted WapitiTalk window decals your way (they are guaranteed to improve your success if displayed in the window of your hunting rig). RJ

Thanks for the warm welcome and add! Looking forward to the conversations about my obsession. I'm sure you're right about the bears, but I'm also not going swimming off the coast of Cape Town due to my irrational fear of Great White sharks. What am I looking for in a partner for hunting in Grizzly territory? Someone who runs a little slower than me ;)
I will PM you may address so I can get one of those stickers, thanks again!
Elk101

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2019 •  [Post 166]

Welcome to the W.T. camp Elk101. I did not see your first post right away as I have not paid enough attention to our hunting partner forum. I appreciate your wanting to be careful in grizzly country. I am not sure about your wanting a slow chubby person with logger boots to hunt with.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 07 19, 2019 •  [Post 167]

It sounds like Elk101 and Highrider are a good match. Have you guys contacted each other?

You know the majority of Montana and Wyoming do NOT have grizzlies. So don’t let that be a factor in your plans.

If anyone is interested in saving time and getting right down to business have a look at my website. Headin’ West Hunt Consulting offers detailed DIY elk hunting plans all in non-grizzlie general license units. My plans include custom waterproof topo maps from Game Planner maps as well as a set of written instructions on how to hunt your area. They start with where to camp, spike camp options, the path of least resistance to the hunting areas.... where I’ve personally seen and killed bulls, and of course the extras like where to get groceries, dry ice, and have your elk processed. Everything you need door to door to have a good hunt instead of a fun camping trip. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck guys and gals!

http://www.headinwest.net/DIY.html
Indian Summer

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 19, 2019 •  [Post 168]

Most are 1 post wonders.
Elkhntr08

Postby Zack » 07 26, 2019 •  [Post 169]

I am looking for a CO partner for Labor Day Weekend. I just moved to Denver about 3 months ago, so i wouldn't qualify for a resident tag, and I learned that I can't take off work at all during september except Aug 31-Sep 2. So buying a NR tag for 3 days seems foolish. I was hoping someone wouldn't mind if I tagged along with them, and in exchange I'd help haul anything out in those first couple days. I'm a 28 yo male. I've never been elk hunting, but I've been preparing physically and mentally for the last 10 months. I have all the equipment to pack in and set up a tent. I'd be willing to travel to most any GMU.
Zack

Postby WorkSmarterNotHarder » 08 09, 2019 •  [Post 170]

Hi all,

I'm one of the FNGs to this forum but thought I'd pick the brains of anyone that's rifle hunted SW Colorado specifically Unit 65 down by Ouray. I understand this thread is about partners, but but stranger danger haha. I appreciate any advice any of you have on the area. I'm not opposed to hunting with a group, but I'm coming into the game late. I've sent a few PMs to people that briefly discussed the area a few years ago.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
WorkSmarterNotHarder