Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

To wear hearing protection when hunting or not

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

To wear hearing protection when hunting or not

Postby JKaboom » 08 17, 2016 •  [Post 1]

So lately I have been thinking if I am going to wear hearing protection when hunting. Specifically the type of earplugs that also supposedly electronically enhance hearing but protect your ears when shooting. I don't want to mess with putting in regular ear plugs as there may or may not be time to do so. When hunting whitetail in Michigan with shotguns when I was younger I never wore earplugs when hunting. What are your thoughts?
JKaboom

Re: To wear hearing protection when hunting or not

Postby saddlesore » 08 17, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Normally I don't but two years ago I had to have a brake installed on my .06 due to a severely injured shoulder that can't be fixed.So I use the Howard Lights.
Most any electronic only reduces the decibel level by 30 or so. So the number on the package is what it reduces,not what the decibel level ends up being.

All I can say ,you will thank yourself in years to come if you take care of your ears now.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cohunter14 » 08 18, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I carry ear plugs so if I have time to put them in, then I can. Typically I don't end up using them though, but when your adrenaline is pumping that much you won't notice how loud the gun is.
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby Lefty » 08 18, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I really should get something. I make my daughter and grand daughter wear hearing protection when goose hunting
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 08 19, 2016 •  [Post 5]

saddlesore wrote:Normally I don't but two years ago I had to have a brake installed on my .06 due to a severely injured shoulder that can't be fixed.So I use the Howard Lights.
Most any electronic only reduces the decibel level by 30 or so. So the number on the package is what it reduces,not what the decibel level ends up being.

All I can say ,you will thank yourself in years to come if you take care of your ears now.

:lol: To be honest I wish everyone would have letters that big..... and that everyone would SPEAK UP.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby JKaboom » 08 21, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Indian Summer wrote:
saddlesore wrote:Normally I don't but two years ago I had to have a brake installed on my .06 due to a severely injured shoulder that can't be fixed.So I use the Howard Lights.

:lol: To be honest I wish everyone would have letters that big..... and that everyone would SPEAK UP.

Thanks for the feedback all - LOL :lol:
JKaboom

Postby CurlyTail » 08 22, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Duck and Goose Hunting you are crazy not to use hearing protection. The electronic ear muffs are great.

At the range - crazy not too

One shot in a week of Elk Hunting - maybe OK if you don't like them. Just don't fool yourself that there is no damage. I have early hearing loss from gun fire, and even one shot - my ears ring for a week.

Ear muffs are warm, for me they are just like a stocking cap for warmth. That is great for late season, but a problem for early season.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby njdoxie » 08 25, 2016 •  [Post 8]

I always wear hearing protection, when hunting elk I wear walkers game ear, when deer hunting I keep ear muffs around my neck, ready to slip on. I never ever pull the trigger on a hi-power rifle or shotgun without hearing protection.
njdoxie

First Name: Guy
Last Name: Carothers

Postby avluey » 08 29, 2016 •  [Post 9]

I wear them at the range and have worn them (though not often) duck/goose hunting, but definitely not for deer or elk hunting.
avluey

Postby rosaashley » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Yes, we should use hearing protection like earplugs when hunting. I am using a custom earplugs to protect my hearing.
rosaashley

Postby Lsb » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Both of my daughters insisted on wearing earplugs while hunting which is great unless I needed to get their attention. And forget whispering. So we bought them the walkers razor x digital ears bud. No muffs over hats, they can hear me and cuts the sound of the rifle. I don't like them because I can't tell which way sounds are coming from. They love them.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I do not need any silly hearing protection. People just need to learn to speak up. I get tired of saying "huh" or "what".
Of coarse it would not hurt if the manufacturers had put better mufflers on chain saws and silencers on guns. Someone should sue the rascals that made these products.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby jmez » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Wear them. I've pretty much ruined my hearing through years of hunting and shooting without them. Now I'm paying the price.

I wish I had worn them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez