Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

elk Hunt excitement

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

elk Hunt excitement

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Im not talking your kill,.. Just something that made a day a bit exciting or memorable.

Short story. The last evening we had to hunt elk , we hiked into a far off canyon to find the bull we heard the previous evening. A longer walk than we expected. One tight draw dropped off the ridge we were skirting. I told my daughter we had to make one call down into this thick nasty mess.
I let out a bugle. Nothing . Im too impatient.
I make two soft cow mews. The signal to my daughter its time to move. We walk 40 yards and a cow is feeding 80 yards away. we cut some distance. The elk has no interest in any cow sounds. I tell my daughter what she needs to do. Move fast down a trail when the cow is feeding . Stop when the cows head is up. Then cut towards the cow for a shot. and always be looking for other elk.
At 35 yards she prepares for a shot. Just enough brush to not chance a shot.The cow turns, my daughter moves in and kneels for a shot. Still limbs in the way :roll: I bugle hoping the cow will turn just a bit for a shot.
The cow barley reacted if she did at all . The cow does show interested in what is behind her,. my guess more elk. But there was no way to communicate that to may daughter.
Out of frustration my daughter stands for a shot,.. while the cows head was up. the cow bounced off 40 yards in the thickest stuff possible.
" Ahh Dad" " "I blew it"
Tracks appear to indicate that a big elk ( I would like to guess a bull) turned and ran towards us and was bumped when my daughter stood up from the stand I called her from.

When I get some pictures downloaded ,.. I will share how that experience.Those mistakes two weeks ago put her in the right position to shoot her moose at 18 yards yesterday :)

OK guys lets hear some stories
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H