Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is your favorite diaphram mouth reed as of now?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Elktracker » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I started using the All Star last year that Paul sell on his website by (Bugling bulls game calls) I really like it and just ordered two more of those and also the challenge and the other was the temptress, look forward to trying the new ones to me out.

What reeds or other Elk calls do you use?

Josh
Elktracker

Re: What is your favorite diaphram mouth reed as of now?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Elktracker wrote:I started using the All Star last year that Paul sell on his website by (Bugling bulls game calls) I really like it and just ordered two more of those and also the challenge and the other was the temptress, look forward to trying the new ones to me out.

What reeds or other Elk calls do you use?

Josh

I use Berry R2 diaphrams for bull elk sounds and Berry X5 diaphrams for cow sounds. They are very durable diaphrams, make great elk sounds (IMO) but are definitely a bit tougher to use (very tight double latex) than many of the other brands. The R2 is used in conjunction with my new Chuckler EL which I really like.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Goat Boy » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I used the Imperial Plate from Premos for years which it is a grate call my only complaint about it was that it was not always reliable. Since talking to Paul about it he told me to try the Scream “N” Tormentor or now known as the Challenge. It is an awesome all-around call that so far has not fouled on me once, it's a single layered diaphragm that makes grate herd bull sounds as well as cow sounds, I would recommend it to anyone that likes mouth call's!
"You're never lost if you don't care where you're at"
Goat Boy

Postby iRem » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

For cow calls I love the mellow yellow, but I'm loving my new external reed cow call from Phelps Game Calls!! My goal this years is to have my diaphragm bull call in mouth and external around my neck so that I can travel and call so that I can have different tones as I close the distance!!
iRem

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I use the Closer for 95% of my All Purpose calling, Cow & Bull Sounds! Then I use the Challenge reed for long distance location & working herd bulls!! The two do everything I need aside from voice calling here & there!

Here's a link to them if you need to see them? http://stores.elknut.com/Categories.bok ... outh+Reeds

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bowhunterty » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Mellow yellow for cow calls.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby dotman » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 7]

This year i'll be using the Phelps but i'm hoping to have the mellow yellow down also, thanks for all the help Rory & Paul, Oh i'll also gave the lil chuckler xtr which if I get the diaphram down i'll remive the reed.
dotman

Postby elkmtngear » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 8]

ElkNut1 wrote:I use the Closer for 95% of my All Purpose calling, Cow & Bull Sounds! Then I use the Challenge reed for long distance location & working herd bulls!! The two do everything I need aside from voice calling here & there!

Here's a link to them if you need to see them? http://stores.elknut.com/Categories.bok ... outh+Reeds

ElkNut1

Paul,
I've been practicing with "the Closer" also, very pleased with the versatility and tones of that diaphragm call.
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 9]

AllStar and Raging Bull for me.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby sockeye » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 10]

The All Star is my "GO To" call. I will keep that or the Mellow Yellow in the cheek at all times. Both very good calls. May experiment with a different one this year during the summer but, will have the other two guaranteed.
sockeye

First Name: Clint
Last Name: Scott

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I actually have two favorites and another that I also pack. My #1 call is Rockies Raging Bull. This call has probably won more world championships than any other call. But what would you expect when guys like Rockie and Cory are competeing with it. LOL! #2 is the Herd Master. This call is one heck of a change up from the Raging Bull. Sometimes it is just the ticket to get the bulls cranked up. #3 would be the Scream N Tormentor.

I get all my calls from Elknut. He is an A-1 guy to deal with, not to mention a very close friend.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 12]

My two favorites have been the closer and the herd master, until now.
In a couple weeks I will have my own diaphragms ready for sale.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Here is a short clip of my prototype single reed and new bugle tube.
http://soundcloud.com/jason-phelps-2/005491avi
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby bowhunterty » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Sounds good.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby elkchaser503 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Mellow yellow is my go to cow call. i have like 20 of these diaphrams. they make outstanding cow sounds. i have others that i will switch up when i am doing a calling sequence but the Mellow yellow is in my mouth 99% of the time i'm out in the woods
elkchaser503

Postby slim9300 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 16]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I actually have two favorites and another that I also pack. My #1 call is Rockies Raging Bull. This call has probably won more world championships than any other call. But what would you expect when guys like Rockie and Cory are competeing with it. LOL! #2 is the Herd Master. This call is one heck of a change up from the Raging Bull. Sometimes it is just the ticket to get the bulls cranked up. #3 would be the Scream N Tormentor.

I get all my calls from Elknut. He is an A-1 guy to deal with, not to mention a very close friend.

The Raging Bull is by far my go-to reed for everything. I don't mind the All-Star or the Closer but I don't have quite the same range when bugling and my cow sounds aren't as authentic. The Screaming Tormentor will also get it done but it comes in 4th for me.

My tube of choice is a modified Chuckler EL. A 1" opening and extra electrical splicing tape to tone down my voice.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby westaner » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I shed a tear when I had to open this last package. :cry: I've saved the plastic cups in hopes of glueing it on a mellow yellow
Attachments
IMG_20120612_213012-picsay.jpg
IMG_20120612_213012-picsay.jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 10773 times
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Ha Ha, at one time that was my favorite call!!! (grin) No kidding! Thanks Primos for ruining it!!!!!

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 06 12, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I'm REALLY liking the Full Rut tone top by bugling bull this year. I used the Allstar in the field last year with great success, but I blew through them too quickly. The Full Rut has a better fit in my mouth and produces a better range for me. Really looking forward to giving it some field time this Fall!
eltaco

Postby elkaholic » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I used the All-Star last year and loved it. Looking to get the Yellow Mellow Mama this year..something for good cow sounds. The All Star did ok on them cow sounds but wasn't as nasally as I like. Could of been operator error :?
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Arapahoe » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Raging Bull for me. Mellow Yellow next.
Arapahoe

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 13, 2012 •  [Post 22]

elkaholic, try adding a little voice inflection to your cow sounds like you were giving a mini throat growl as you mew! This should help a lot! I will be having a video clip in that section on estrus buzz & those mini cow buzzes! It may help out?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul