Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Drop camp moose cancelation hunt!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Drop camp moose cancelation hunt!

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys, not sure if I should post this here or the classified section, but I just had a group of guys that had to reschedule their moose drop for 2017 to 2018, so I have a discounted open spot for drop camp moose in Alaska, if anyone is interested please let me know.
Thanks,
Ryan
alaska drop camp

Re: Drop camp moose cancelation hunt!

Postby Indian Summer » 02 15, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Save us some leg work..... what's the regular price and what's the cost for the cancellation hunt? What unit? Is that a 3 or 4 brow or 50 inch area? How do you et the client to camp.... motorized vehicle, horses, air transporter? Any other details would help including what you thin my odds are of getting on 50 inch bulls. I need a second crack at a moose up there.

Got any Hawaiian moose hunts? That would be a great combination! lol :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Hey guys sorry for the lack of info, the normal price is $4800 per person, if someone wants it I will do it for $3500 per person, it is a 3 brow tine or 50 inch area, we fly you in in a bush plane and drop you off and pick you up, we take some very nice bulls there every year,, I tried to post some pictures from last season but I think I need to resize them first, anyway I can also put you in touch with the area biologist so you can talk to them about moose densities in the units and trophy quality, a bull over 50 inch should not be a problem. we get them in the upper 60s every year.
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

test
Attachments
client moose.jpg
client moose.jpg (118.77 KiB) Viewed 35547 times
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

here is another, I'm finding a few that will fit, I have lots more I can e-mail anyone who is interested
Attachments
ryan and mike moose.jpg
ryan and mike moose.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 35547 times
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 16, 2017 •  [Post 6]

here is another
Attachments
ryan client moose.jpg
ryan client moose.jpg (100.61 KiB) Viewed 35547 times
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 16, 2017 •  [Post 7]

one more
Attachments
ryan crossing stream.jpg
ryan crossing stream.jpg (108.53 KiB) Viewed 35547 times
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 16, 2017 •  [Post 8]

that's about all I can get to load with out resizing them first
alaska drop camp

Postby Indian Summer » 02 17, 2017 •  [Post 9]

What unit? Does that cost include the flight to get moose out as well? Can you transport the moose to a processor as well? Last.... since it's a drop camp I assume the camp is already set up. Can you tell me about the camp? What airport would I need to fly into?
Indian Summer

Postby Kessler10 » 02 17, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Pretty tempting huh Joe. Lets do it :shock:
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 17, 2017 •  [Post 11]

we are hunting units 16 and 19, yes the cost does include hauling the moose out and I will be happy to drop it by a processor in town for you, the camp is not already set up, so camp will go in with you, I don't like messing around in the hunting spots before you guys get there, we fly and scout ahead of time and locate bulls, then we only use each spot one time, so your not getting put in a spot where someone hunted the week before you. we do use the same spots over from year to year, cam will consist of a 6 man dome tent with full vestibule per two people, a tarp to use over your cooking area, cots a propane stove, lantern, pots pans utensils, I can get you an exact list of whats included in the camp, but that is the basics, you should bring a fishing pole most all of the spots have a stream or lake nearby where there is very good fishing.
alaska drop camp

Postby Indian Summer » 02 19, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Kessler10 wrote:Pretty tempting huh Joe. Lets do it :shock:

Yes it is. I don't care if camp is set I just want to avoid shipping all of my gear up there and back. Last time I flew into Fairbanks and had to ship everything back and forth to Galena. I flew with Joe Shuster at Sportsman's Air. I stay with a friend in Fairbanks and saved a bunch of costs on rental vehicle, hotels etc but the cost to ship crap around up there adds up fast. For a processor I prefer Delta Meats. Lord knows I have everything I need for the hunt including a bazillion air miles on my Alaska Air visa card. I can even fly a companion for $100 round trip. I just need to see what happens with the Wyoming elk license draw results.

Who is the air transporter?
Indian Summer

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 20, 2017 •  [Post 13]

You would need to fly into anchorage for this hunt, and we take a small bush plane from there, so there won't be a bunch of extra shipping cost, I am the transporter, north star outfitters, and your right shipping gear adds up fast, when do you get your draw results for Wyoming?
alaska drop camp

Postby Indian Summer » 02 20, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I have a friend down there too....Joe Romano of Gas and Time Outfitters. Being a Montana outfitter had lots of perks! Is that the same country 40 Mile Air and Zach at Tok Air hunts?

Wyoming results are out February 28th.
Indian Summer

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 21, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Lol, yea I know the feeling, I stay a little south of 40 mile and tok air, for the most part we all have our spots and try to stay out of each other's hair if we know the others use an area, what part of Montana are you hunting? Are you guys getting hammered with snow this year?
alaska drop camp

Postby Indian Summer » 02 26, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I haven't hunted Montana in a few years because I keep drawing a license in Wyoming. I sold my outfit there 3 years ago so I could just hunt. lol I have family and friends there though and yes the snow has been piling up there as well as in Wyoming. A pretty bad winter really. Thankfully the Wyoming units I hunt have winter feed lots to give the elk a helping hand. I gladly pay a few bucks for a feed lot stamp to support that program.
Indian Summer

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 27, 2017 •  [Post 17]

That's what I heard about the snow over there this year, Alaska is getting a good snow year also, not as much as you guys, but plenty.
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 27, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Hey guys, I have a guy on the forum that wants to do this hunt, but he needs a partner, is anyone else on here interested in this cancelation hunt?
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 03 05, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Hey guys this hunt is still available if anyone wants it, it hasn't been filled yet.
Ryan
alaska drop camp

Postby Indian Summer » 03 05, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Looks like I'm out. We drew or Wyoming elk tags. Good luck. Great opportunity for someone. Nice sized bulls in that unit.
Indian Summer

Postby alaska drop camp » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Ok good luck in Wyoming
alaska drop camp

Postby sasquatch » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 22]

What's the dates? I'm sure I can't make it but this is something on my wish list for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Postby alaska drop camp » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 23]

I can fit you in anywhere durring sept 12-25
alaska drop camp

Postby Indian Summer » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 24]

For the cost of the hunt can a pair of guys stay in there the entire time from the 12th to 25th? It can take some time to wait out a nice bull. Or even a legal one. That unit has good quality but not the highest numbers. To answer your question Sasquatch if you have a choice hunt to the very end. Things only get better up to the 25th.
Indian Summer

Postby sasquatch » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 25]

That's the exact time frame I have planned for Wyoming again, and yea I got a tag! lol

Never been moose hunting but want to though! Maybe I can plan to do it next year. Would like someone to pair up with since I know nothing about it and would rather not be out there alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Postby jonny5 » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 26]

alaska drop camp wrote:I can fit you in anywhere durring sept 12-25

I may have 2-3 guys interested in this hunt (myself included). How many guys make it too crowded?
jonny5

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 27]

Hey mister, welcome to the campfire. I sent Ryan a note, I'm sure he'll chime in or contact you shortly. Hope it works out for you and your buddies. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby alaska drop camp » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 28]

Yes, you can stay as many days as you want at no additional cost, I would recommend no more than 4 people max hunting out of one camp,
alaska drop camp

Postby jonny5 » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 29]

alaska drop camp wrote:Yes, you can stay as many days as you want at no additional cost, I would recommend no more than 4 people max hunting out of one camp,

RJ, thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here.

Alaska drop camp, is there a good # and time I could call you tomorrow?
jonny5

Postby Swede » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 30]

Welcome to the W.T. camp jonny5. I hope this Alaska drop camp works out well for you and all concerned.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby alaska drop camp » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 31]

Sure, I'm traveling at the moment, you can call me at 360-748-0524 anytime after 7am Washington time, or you can call my cell at 907-982-5986 if you can't get me on that land line. Or I can call you if it's easier

Thanks
Ryan,
alaska drop camp

Postby Beendare » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 32]

Ryan,
So we are IN! Its going to be a busy Sept. with the moose hunt early and a Montana elk hunt at the end of the month

Good news for you with us going early is it still leaves your prime time spot open!
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 03 09, 2017 •  [Post 33]

I would NEVER hunt moose with more than 2 hunters in a camp. You'd be lucky to kill 2 bulls of legal size. This isn't deer or even elk hunting. Mark my word.
Indian Summer

Postby alaska drop camp » 03 10, 2017 •  [Post 34]

You are absolutely correct, 2 is better than 4 I usually try to put people in 2 different camps if they have more than 2 unless they are all family and want to hunt together
alaska drop camp

Re: Drop camp moose and caribou hunt!

Postby alaska drop camp » 03 21, 2017 •  [Post 35]

Hey guys we still have a few spots available for caribou as well, it's an awesome hunt with very high success
alaska drop camp

Postby Beendare » 03 21, 2017 •  [Post 36]

Well we are going a tad early so we can hunt elk late in Mt....so we left the prime time spot for someone else.

I can tell anyone considering this; I checked a bunch of Ryans references ...and every single one raved about Ryan and Angela bending over backward for them. I just found out about this deal a few weeks ago...and I have never talked with Ryan before[ though it turns out we have mutual friends in Ak one of which charges 6x what Ryan is charging for this drop camp.If oyu want to PM me, I will give you the straight scoop.

I can also tell you this is a hard to find deal....all of the regulars i called last year were booked for 2-3 years. The only reason this is available now is Ryan is fairly new to this drop camp thing [but not new to hunting/guiding....its called getting in on the ground floor!

I can also tell you that I've already talked to 15 guys that will bury Ryan with bookings next year and thereafter if we get into moose [I have no doubt we will]
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Re: caribou drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 03 30, 2017 •  [Post 37]

Hey guys our moose season is about booked up, but we still have availability for our caribou drop camps, this is a great hunt with very high success, there is also a very good opertunity to shoot wolves, along with excellent fishing. Caribou drops are $2500 per person
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 04 14, 2017 •  [Post 38]

hey guys,
moose season is booked for 2017 we are now booking for 2018 I do still have a few spots available for caribou black bear and sitka blacktail deer for the 2017 season. if anyone is interested.
alaska drop camp

Postby Da White Shoe » 04 14, 2017 •  [Post 39]

alaska drop camp wrote:hey guys,
moose season is booked for 2017 we are now booking for 2018 I do still have a few spots available for caribou black bear and sitka blacktail deer for the 2017 season. if anyone is interested.

If you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate a little on your Sitka blacktail hunts? Which island or is it on the coast, cost, length of hunt?
Thank you!
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby alaska drop camp » 04 15, 2017 •  [Post 40]

Hello,
the sitka black tail hunts are $3000 per person, we hunt on all the islands from whittier to montague you can either get dropped off on an island or you can sleep on the boat, and use our zodiak to go to and from the islands, you can also fish for halibut and rockfish on this trip. hunts are 5 to 7 days depending on how long you want to stay.
alaska drop camp

Postby Da White Shoe » 04 16, 2017 •  [Post 41]

alaska drop camp wrote:Hello,
the sitka black tail hunts are $3000 per person, we hunt on all the islands from whittier to montague you can either get dropped off on an island or you can sleep on the boat, and use our zodiak to go to and from the islands, you can also fish for halibut and rockfish on this trip. hunts are 5 to 7 days depending on how long you want to stay.

Thanks... sounds doable, in the near future and that may be my next big hunt.
I've read that the drops are nice, because there is less climbing involved everyday. But, the boat hunts can make sleeping easier with big bears roaming around.
Caribou also has my attention. I've never hunted them.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby alaska drop camp » 04 17, 2017 •  [Post 42]

yes that is correct, and there are forest service cabins you can rent on the islands to sleep in to avoid the bear issues, let me know on the caribou if there is anyway you can swing it this year, they proposed a new regulation for 2018 that would require a non resident to hire a guide to hunt caribou, if that happens there will be no more drop hunts for caribou unless you draw a tag somewhere.
alaska drop camp

Postby alaska drop camp » 05 09, 2017 •  [Post 43]

hey guys i have a guy that wants to caribou hunt, he is looking for a partner, so he dose not have to go solo, if anyone else is interested in doing the hunt but didn't want to go alone, please let me know, maybe you guys could partner up.
Ryan
alaska drop camp

Postby jonny5 » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 44]

I can't wait to hear how the moose hunt ends up for you guys! Ryan seems like a top notch guy. Hoping to do a hunt like this in the next couple of years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
jonny5

Postby jonny5 » 10 05, 2017 •  [Post 45]

Beendare wrote:Well we are going a tad early so we can hunt elk late in Mt....so we left the prime time spot for someone else.

I can tell anyone considering this; I checked a bunch of Ryans references ...and every single one raved about Ryan and Angela bending over backward for them. I just found out about this deal a few weeks ago...and I have never talked with Ryan before[ though it turns out we have mutual friends in Ak one of which charges 6x what Ryan is charging for this drop camp.If oyu want to PM me, I will give you the straight scoop.

I can also tell you this is a hard to find deal....all of the regulars i called last year were booked for 2-3 years. The only reason this is available now is Ryan is fairly new to this drop camp thing [but not new to hunting/guiding....its called getting in on the ground floor!

I can also tell you that I've already talked to 15 guys that will bury Ryan with bookings next year and thereafter if we get into moose [I have no doubt we will]
Beendare, how did the moose hunt turn out?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
jonny5