Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Member Intro - Get a Free Wapiti Talk Decal!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Member Intro - Get a Free Wapiti Talk Decal!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 17, 2017 •  [Post 1]

If you're a newer member to Wapiti Talk, post a brief intro about your self.... where you hail from, what you hunt, what you'd like to hunt, weapon choice, favorite color, zodiac sign, etc. I just received a new batch of Wapiti Talk Decals and I'd be happy to send one your way to proudly display on your rig (I'll get a PM sent your way for mailing info, or, an email if you don't have three posts yet)! Welcome to our campfire folks and keep your eye peeled for campfire shenanigans from Indian Summer, Swede, Lefty, WaWhitey, Elkduds, >>>---WW--->, and especially that Tigger character (you never know what those cats will try to pull when you step away from the campfire). RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New Member Intro - Get a Free Wapiti Talk Decal!

Postby Tigger » 02 17, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Now I feel significant pressure to live up to your expectations..... :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Tigger, you never disappoint. At least on that score. :lol: I have been on my best behavior since I planned to be sharing a camp with RJ and company this September. Now Indian Summer is another story. He does not know what "good behavior" looks like. Still, feel free to join in here. We can be a little rowdy, but we are never mean. Just keep an eye on the characters RJ listed, but never mind Swede. He is so tame, he thinks a normal bowel movement is exciting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 18, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I feel honored to be included in such a distinguished group of elk hunters. :oops: :o :shock: :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby jmorr » 02 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Hey all, just joined a couple weeks ago so I guess I qualify for this offer. I've been a hunter my whole life, but just picked up bow hunting 2 seasons ago. 2016 was my first elk hunt. I had an incredible hunt in the Jarbidge wilderness in Nevada and I've been hooked ever since. If elk hunting isn't on my mind I'm distracted because it about all I can think about. I just moved up to Spokane, WA and plan on hunting the panhandle or a unit just to south of it. I am also an avid waterfowler and flyfisherman. I'm really enjoying the wealth of experience on this site, thanks for sharing.
jmorr

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 19, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Great intro jmorr, welcome to the forum! Congrats on picking up archery hunting recently; its a great way to get after those big stinky critters in the field! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures chasing big game, birds, and fish. You can either wait till you get three posts and send me a PM, or, just email me at rory@wapititalk.com and I'll shoot a decal your way. Again, welcome, don't be a stranger about posting on the site, and thanks for joining our campfire. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 20, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Jmorr-- good to have you on the site, how long did it take you to draw for that Nevada tag? And how was the hunting?
Elkhunttoo

Postby boliep » 02 20, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Long time deer and hog hunter from Georgia. I just found this site and joined it.

Looking for a cow elk hunt for a rifle hunter in either Southeastern Colorado or
Northeastern New Mexico. I plan to drive so that is why I picked those areas plus
it seems there are so reasonably priced hunts available in those areas.

Anyone with suggestions or doing hunts like this please feel free to contact me.
boliep

Postby jmorr » 02 20, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Jmorr-- good to have you on the site, how long did it take you to draw for that Nevada tag? And how was the hunting?

I was a resident so it only took 3 years! That's not the norm even for a resident though, I just got really lucky. I talked to a couple non-resident hunters who said it took them 10 years to draw. The hunting was really good. Once we found the elk the encounters were frequent. The bulls were very vocal and easy to find. I got within 60 yards of 6 different bulls and finally took my shot on the last day at 25 yards. Unfortunately my arrow glanced off a branch... Some very rugged country, I read a lot of recommendations to use an outfitter or horses of your own and I found out why. I'd probably still be packing that bull out had I killed him!
jmorr

Postby Swede » 02 20, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I don't remembering where you were welcomed to W.T. before, so let me start by welcoming you to our camp. We truly welcome you around the campfire and am sure you will get some ideas for areas to hunt or about anything else hunting related. I am interested in why you picked southern Colorado or northern New Mexico for a rifle cow hunt. I am sure there are plenty of opportunities for a good hunt in that part of the Country, but wonder if you already have some information to go on?
Swede

Postby rkieson » 02 22, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Looks like I also qualify for this. Longtime hunter. Growing up in western ND, mostly pheasants, sharp tail grouse, and Hungarian partridge. Now that live in MN, mostly whitetail. Don't get to do as much as I would like b/c I have teenage kids. Most of the time, we are chasing them around the country. However, my brother and I are going to go hunting second rifle season in CO, near Palisade. I believe GMU 62, 63, or 31. He has a buddy that lives in Palisade, and he will be our mentor. Will be first time for both of us. Lifelong dream of mine. Have been lurking here, listening to podcasts that discuss elk hunting, and have signed up for Elk101 Elk Hunting University. Now have been working on getting my butt into shape, and straighten out my eating, as much as I can for the fall hunt. I appreciate the experienced giving us newbies and others all the information.
rkieson

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 22, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Welcome to the campfire rkieson, glad to have you on board! You can either wait till you get three posts and send me a PM, or, just email me at rory@wapititalk.com and I'll shoot a decal your way. Again, welcome and thank for joining our campfire. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Beendare » 02 23, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Do we get to see the decal first.....since you are talking about a lot of 2 finger typing.....A guy needs to know if its worth the effort- right? Grin

I'm a father, husband, self employed contractor, bowhunter....in that order...or at least thats what I try to be. In my thoughts, the bowhunting part tends to override everything else sometimes. My word is my bond. I don't like doing something if I can't do it right [drives my 18 yr old son crazy but I'm hoping it rubs off]

I live in Ca...but don't hold that against me. Where I live folks are pretty conservative. I don't see any of the craziness you guys see on TV....even though its only 1/2 hour away....2 hours in rush hour traffic [arrrg]

I love carp shooting.....In fact, sneaking out on a weekday and drifting the flats in the delta with almost no one around is about the best stress relief a guy can do.

I love seeing animals shot with an arrow....no i mean i REALLY love it. I love everything about it....the flight of the arrow, the impact...the animals reaction.....and then I really like trailing them. I might have to reconsider my setup....as what I'm shooting now has just too many animals dying in sight. But even then,,,I really like seeing them get wobbly legged and tip over. I can gut a hog and literally eat a ham sandwich. Its not a morbid killing thing, it just a fascination with arrow shot animals. It doesn't carry over to killing in general as I do not like to see suffering...can't even watch terrorist beheadings....and I hate to admit it but that latest John Wick movie was just too much killing for me.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 23, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Ha, welcome to the forum mister; trophy intro. Thanks for swinging by and please, take any open seat you want around the campfire and pull up a beverage of choice. Well, don't pick that seat to the NE of the fire, that block is always reserved for Howard Hill and Fred Bear, if hey decide to swing by. Glad to have you on board Bruce, your experience, love for bow hunting, and willingness to "pass it on" precede you. RJ

I'll send you a PM for your mailing address and get one of the coveted, limited edition, guaranteed to put a chicken (err, Franklin Grouse) in every pot, Wapiti Talk decals on the way as long as you triple dog promise not to slap it on a carp ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Cbb » 02 26, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Hello all! New here and new to elk hunting!

Been hunting whitetails in PA all my life and have dreamed of hunting elk for most of my hunting career. 38yrs old, married with 2 13 yr old boys.
Finally took the jump and applied for the Monatana Non Res Big Game Combo, and a permit for 270 as well. Right now my plan is to truck camp and hunt. Just hope to learn as much as possible and have a positive experience this September. In a couple years I hope to have killed and Elk and be able to bring my boys out with me.

I have a family member that lives in Montana who is quite accomplished when it comes to elk and big game hunting with a bow in the west. He has been a huge help so far. I hope to learn a few more things from this site that I can apply to the field this fall.

So far there seems to be a lot of good information shared here.

Thanks for the opportunity!
Cbb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 26, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Welcome to the campfire Cbb, and, welcome to the world of elk hunting! Glad to have on board; we have a pretty good handful of members from PA. Send me a PM brother and I'll shoot a WT Decal your way! RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Im new to elk hunting, went along one time with a friend in WY who is real good. Im looking at posts to learn more, looked like the best elk forum here
drew a tag for area41 in WY, hope it goes well!!
Im gonna be 60 years old before sept, so I dont have many chances left! lol
Scorpyd shooter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Welcome to the campfire Scorpyd shooter. We'll do our best to help you up the trail towards your first elk hunt. Send me a PM with your mailing info and I'll shoot a WT decal your way. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 19]

thanks! will do
Scorpyd shooter

Postby Roosiebull » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 20]

another new guy here.

I am from the central Oregon coast....my only 2 forms of recreation is on the river, or in the woods (given the choice, i'm in the woods ;) ) I have been chasing Roosevelts around the woods with my bow since I was 16 (now 33) and blacktails with a rifle or bow depending on what will give me more days in the woods, I also have become addicted to calling for mountain lions the last 5 years...that is not an activity for the easily discouraged (still have not killed one on purpose) I have shot at 3, and only put my tag on one, the other 2 were my only rifle misses to date. I also love hunting bear, especially in the spring (like hunting them more than killing them, but will shoot a big one when I get the chance)

I am the first outdoorsman in my family as far back as I know about, I have an awesome wife, and amazing 7yr old daughter....slowly getting them interested in hunting.

I am a sea urchin harvest diver by occupation, I have the coolest office in the world, the pacific ocean floor...also commercial crab in the winter when it makes sense, and doesn't chop into my hunting too much, I have been commercial fishing straight out of highschool, it was the only job I could think of that had my interest, and frees up lots of time throughout the year to hunt and fish.

glad to be here, seems like a very mellow group of people with a passion for hunting, my kind of people.

Mike
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Mike it is good to have you here also. I saw a different post of yours, but could not remember if you had a decent welcome or not. "Decent" is as good as it gets. Nobody gets anything formal. We are not that type here. I live down river, north of Portland. I have some interest in Rosies, but seem to always head east to hunt. Anyway pull up a block of wood near the camp fire and join in the conversation. You sorta have to pay attention to keep track of what is kinda serious and what is totally nonsense.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 22]

Swede wrote: You sorta have to pay attention to keep track of what is kinda serious and what is totally nonsense.

even better ;)
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 23]

Welcome to the campfire Roosiebull. Really glad that you decided to swing by (geez, it seems like I know you from somewhere else? :D).....

If you'd like one of the coveted, limited print, super cool, guaranteed to put an elk in every pot.....Wapiti Talk Decals to put on your rig... send me a PM and I'll shoot one your way. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Sticknstringer » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 24]

I guess I'm new too. I was on elknuts before which I guessing is now WT. Nebraska boy that has bow hunted deer and turkeys for 15 years. Iv got some good deer with a bow now I'm looking at going to the mountains for an elk hunt. It's gonna be a totally different hunting environment than I'm used to but I'm excited. I have 3 great little girls that share my love for fishing and they go for scouting trips when we can for deer. Looking for advice and wisdom from the experienced hunters out west. September can't come soon enough!!
Sticknstringer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Welcome to the campfire Sticknstringer; pull up a log, a beverage of choice, and join in the conversations! Send me a PM with you mailing info and I'll get a WT Decal sent your way. Again, welcome. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 03 06, 2017 •  [Post 26]

It is good to have you around the campfire Sticknstringer. Welcome. I am sure you can find a lot of good information. If you don't find what you are looking for right away feel free to ask. It is probably time we discussed the subject again anyway.
Swede

Postby Grousewit » 03 10, 2017 •  [Post 27]

49th hunting season in central PA. Poppin my cherry on elk this year in NW COLO. Might kick the bucket b4 gettin drawn in PA for elk! Sent for bull tag in first wk of rifle in CO. Going with 2 other seasoned guys that got bulls b4 out there.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2017 •  [Post 28]

Welcome to the forum mister. Send me a pm with your mailing address and I'll send you one of the super cool WT decals to adorn your rig! RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Medstudent2019 » 06 08, 2017 •  [Post 29]

Hey there! My name is donny, im a 3rd year medical student from missouri with big dreams of chasing a lot of different critters. The great Wapiti being on the top of that list. Just recently got permission from a classmate/friend with a farm in wyoming to hunt there so that dream may come true before I originally thought. Trying to figure out the whole elk hunting process when it comes to tags/applying etc. while learning as much as i can. This looks like a wealth of information so seems like the place to be!
Medstudent2019

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 08, 2017 •  [Post 30]

Welcome to the campfire Donny, glad to have you on board mister. Looks like you're settling in just fine! PM me your mailing info and I'll get one of the coveted, limited edition, super cool, Wapiti Talk decals shot your way. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 06 08, 2017 •  [Post 31]

Definitely welcome to the forum Donny. It is good to have a med student around the campfire. Join us in the conversations here.
Just a note, be careful how and where you display that Wapiti Talk decal. You will have men wanting your autograph and asking all kinds of questions. You will need a wet gunny sack gathered up off the barn floor to keep the women off you. That all happens even before you get an elk. :D
Swede

Postby Medstudent2019 » 06 08, 2017 •  [Post 32]

Haha thanks guys! I guess I wont have to pull the doctor card on the ladies anymore.
Medstudent2019

Postby Muzzyvselk » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 33]

Hello all. Iv chased white tails in Michigan since I was 12. Now 42. Married with two kids (9 & 5). I always wanted to go elk hunting and a few years ago a buddy iv know since I was 4 talked me into going to Montana to bow hunt the rubie mountians. I wasn't successful but have been obsessed with elk and checked this forum to take a break from reading Bugel magazine. I intend to hunt elk every year till I can't climb them hills anymore. The tips and honest opinions I read on this forum help me get thru the off season. I hope I can share some pics of an elk soon. So until this fall I'll dream of bugles. Unless it's the bugel of a 5yr old with a empty paper towel tube doing a decent rendition of a bull at 6am. My wife don't see the talent in that like I do.
Muzzyvselk

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 34]

New guy here... been lurking for a while, poaching awesome intel from some serious subject matter experts... figured I'd stop being a taker and start adding some value, wherever I can. Been hunting elk with rifle and archery tackle since 1983... My father got me into it, now I'm passing it to my son. I've killed my share of elk over the years. A few good bulls, some rag horns and lots of tasty cows. I hail from Texas, so I'm a flatlander and only get to hunt elk 7-10 days a year. Love archery elk hunting but will take them with a rifle or smoke pole wherever I can draw a tag. Mosty hunt NR OTC public land tags in CO. I've been a fan of elknut (Paul) for a long time and have been using his playbook since 2007. Took my first archery bull with one of his grunt tubes in 2008... one of the most rewarding hunting experiences of my life... called him right into my lap... nice little 270" 5x5... blew out the herd bull cause I was stupid and wreck less and settled for one of his minions... but he ate good. Will throw my dog into the ring when I think I've got something to contribute. Nice to be part of the herd now, thanks for having me.
1Elkhunter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 35]

Muzzy, 1Elk, welcome to the forum...glad to have you on board! Send me a PM or email at rory@wapititalk.com and I'll get a super cool WT decal sent your way.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 36]

Welcome to you new Wapiti talk members. Certainly feel free to join in our campfire discussions. As you have probably noticed we are always very serious elk hunters here and have no fun. :D
Swede

Postby Mattfat » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 37]

New guy here; from Greenwood, Indiana (just south of Indianapolis) I've been bowhunting since I was 8 and am turning big 5 0 this year :shock: . I'm a whitetail, turkey and bass fishing and bowhunting junky but for the past 3 years I've been elk hunting. My buddy and I have bowhunted CO, MT and NM. All guided hunts and non-successful* except last year my buddy killed a 6x6 on the last day and hour of our hunt- yes!. Got drawn for WY this year and are looking forward to a DIY. (*nonsuccessful as in killing an elk. Any hunt in my opinion that involves getting outdoors and enjoying Gods beautiful creations is a successful hunt to me*)
Mattfat

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 38]

Mattfat, it is good to have you in camp. I agree the "getting outdoors and enjoying God's beautiful creations is a successful hunt to me." Hopefully you will take home an elk this year as a bonus.
Swede

Postby abow » 07 08, 2017 •  [Post 39]

Howdy -

New Guy here. Originally from Arizona, now living in Colorado. Been hunting for a while, this will be my first elk year in Colorado though. So far I have 4th season in 54 lined up. Still waiting for the leftover deer draw to figure out plans for 2nd/3rd season OTC. Gotten too out of shape over the last year, so spending a lot of time scouting around. Fun country here in Colorado!

Happy to be here, looks like an awesome community!
abow

Postby Swede » 07 08, 2017 •  [Post 40]

It is great to have you at the W.T. campfire. Join in the conversations. We have excellent discussions with some very good people.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 08, 2017 •  [Post 41]

Welcome to our camp abow; its a pleasure to have another Centennial State resident swing by. Send me a PM after you've gotten 3 posts and I'll shoot a Wapiti Talk decal your way.... I've heard, from a guy I know who knows this guy, that merely putting one of our decals in the back window of your hunting rig increases hunting success...just saying :D .. Again, welcome mister. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby sno_gimp » 07 09, 2017 •  [Post 42]

New guy here. Hi, My name is Bryan and I am an elkcaholic. but I dont plan on fixing my addiction :lol: . I am from east Idaho and been chasing wapiti for a long time. I am a 15 Law Enforcement veteran for the local Sheriffs Office and I live for flicking sticks on chilly September mornings. I Hunt white tail and Muley deer as well as antelope. Ive been hunted by wolves and grizz and have even stuck a black bear. This is a great sight and am privileged to be here.

BTW, I shoot a Prime Centergy 70#28in. I carry a rifle at work but rarely do in the hunting field.

Shoot straight my friends.
Prime Logic

Pope and young member

Bluelines N Browtines
sno_gimp

Postby Swede » 07 09, 2017 •  [Post 43]

It is great to have you in camp Sno. Occasionally questions come up about Idaho game laws. I would think you either know the answers or know who does. Anyway it is good to have you in the W.T. camp. Keep your eye on RJ. He is known to occasionally go out hunting with his lucky rabbit's foot in his pocket without a rabbit tag punched and attached. :o
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 09, 2017 •  [Post 44]

Welcome to the campfire Bryan, glad to have you on board. I've hunted with one of your ilk for some 15+ years now..dang crazy elk hole diver, that one ;). Send me a PM once you've got 3 posts and I'll send you a super cool WT decal for your patrol rig :).
WapitiTalk1

Postby JAK » 07 09, 2017 •  [Post 45]

New member here from AZ. I've been hunting elk in northern AZ for most of my life. I did my first out of state elk hunt last year in Colorado, looking to expand my elk hunting knowledge with more out of state hunts in new terrain. So far I have taken several cow elk with my rifle, I finally got a bow this past year and I'm looking to one day get an elk with it. Thanks for letting me join in!
JAK

Postby Bronc » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 46]

Hi everyone. Hunting has been my passion since I was a kid (a considerable time ago). Shot my first buck at the age of 15. Moved to Colorado about 25 years ago, and have been addicted to elk hunting ever since. My preferred hunt is archery elk, but will hunt anything with any method given the chance. Although my goal is to come home with some meat, I have definitely evolved into one of those who love the hunt far more than the kill.
Anyway, thanks for having me. I've already got a lot of info from you guys, and hopefully I'll be able to help some others out with my knowledge (as limited as it is!).
Bronc

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 47]

JAK, Bronc,

Welcome to our elk hunting campfire guys, glad to have you on board. Pull up a log by the fire and chime in whenever you wish; we love to talk about elk hunting here are appreciate everyone's perspectives (and questions) on how to corner the stinky galoots ;). As soon as you guys get at least three posts (you need three posts to be able to send/receive PM's), send me a PM with your mailing info and I'll send a Wapiti Talk decal your way. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 48]

Welcome to all of our new members. It is good to have new people around the campfire adding to the conversation.
Swede

Postby Losefreeze » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 49]

Hey everyone I joined a few days ago but have been reading for sometime as the information on this site has been priceless. I am a first generation hunter in my family originally from NM, took up waterfowl about 6 years ago and big game 4 years ago with rifle hunts. I took up bow hunting last year and so happy I did. Of course not having a lot of hunting experience prior to switching to bow may hurt me but like most things in life I like to dive in head first. I live in a suburb just outside of Denver so have ample opportunities for OTC hunts and one day hope to get a prime Draw for bow.

My first year was not successful in the sense that I didn't harvest and animal but had a great time and learned a lot by group as well as solo hunting the warm woods of September. This year i was lucky enough to pull an either sex Mule tag along with using my OTC tag so if it has 4 legs and not a spike I can shoot it. Makes it much easier as last year trying to decide if that animal half in cover was a deer or elk in the deep woods always made me more tentative. I can't wait to continue learning and sharing my experiences on the board.
Losefreeze

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 50]

Welcome to our campfire Losefreeze; glad to have you on board. Great intro mister! Send me a PM with your mailing info and I'll shoot one of the coveted WT Decals your way. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby LostonPurpose » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 51]

Hello everyone, I've been lurking on the site for a little while now and really appreciate how much information is shared on this forum. I'm excited to participate in the great discussions. I grew up hunting in Colorado, where my family still is. Mostly deer and antelope. Just started hunting New Mexico last year and am hoping to bag my first elk this fall down in the Gila. I can't say I know much but I've been reading all I can and watching a million videos to get ready for the fall. I've only ever hunted rifle, but I'm looking to get more into muzzleloaders.
LostonPurpose

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 52]

Welcome to WapitiTalk LOP, glad to have you on board. Yes sir, this is a great place to share, learn, discuss and generally feed our addiction for elk hunting. Please, pull up a log by the fire and chime in whenever you wish! Send me a PM after you get three posts (that's the law) and I'll shoot you a WT decal buddy. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 53]

Welcome Lost. It is good to have you here. You might want to keep an eye on RJ when you get up to pour yourself a cup of coffee. He has been know move a person's seat to where the smoke is going and set his where you were.
Swede

Postby Grousewit » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 54]

Swede, Did u just figure that out last week on your scouting trip to the gem state with him?
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby MikeCfromWV » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 55]

I'm from southern West Virginia and I love to bow hunt and just to be out in the woods in general. I've never hunted elk but is something I want to definitely do in the future. That's actually the reason I joined this site is to learn and maybe get a helping hand in the progress forward into that adventure.
MikeCfromWV

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 56]

Welcome Mike to the forum. Everyone here is helpful when it comes to getting a new elk hunter started off on the right foot. An OTC free range elk is a challenge for the most experienced hunter in most elk country. If you can learn some things before you start, you have a decent chance. Do not be intimidated, but do your homework.
Join in the discussion here around the campfire. Just be careful when you add a log to the fire, not to stir up a lot of sparks.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 57]

Welcome to the forum Mike, glad to have you on board. Send me a PM with your mailing info and I'll shoot a WT decal your way mister! RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby kgaige13 » 08 09, 2017 •  [Post 58]

Hi there! I'm Katie and I'm from Idaho. I have rifle hunted for a couple of years and this will be my first year bow hunting! I'm very excited to get into this and have had a lot of help from my coworkers on getting this going. I've only hunted mule deer before and this will also be my first year hunting elk. Any tips on elk hunting and hunting solo would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!! :D
kgaige13

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 10, 2017 •  [Post 59]

Welcome to the forum Katie, glad to have you on board. Pull up a log by the fire, beverage of choice, and chime in whenever you wish! Thee is a ton of great information here, and, folks willing to offer some advice based on experience. Send me an email at rory@wapititalk.com with your mailing info and I'll shoot a WT decal your way.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 08 10, 2017 •  [Post 60]

Welcome to the W.T. campfire Katie. We like talking hunting almost as much as scouting and hunting. There is a ton of information available on the forum. Decide how and where you want to hunt elk and see what meets your needs. As RJ said, ask if you don't find what you want. The guys around the fire here will be glad to share what they have learned.
Swede