Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best time to hunt for calling in 2017

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best time to hunt for calling in 2017

Postby Lonnie » 05 19, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Ok I have looked at the full moon cycle for 2017. I fill that the Sept 10th threw the 17th is going to be great for calling. Because bulls will gather in there harm. What do you guys think is the best time for getting out. I'm going to hit opening week, rut, and end of month this year. I have a new neighbor my wife is happy. Just a joke.
Lonnie

Re: Best time to hunt for calling in 2017

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 19, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Great topic, and I hope you are right, my brother in law is going to come from Oklahoma to archery hunt with us this year. He had to set his dates at work two weeks ago and he took the week of the 11-16th off. And as far as which week goes I think that will be a good one, I just hope the weather agrees
Elkhunttoo

Postby elkaholicid » 05 20, 2017 •  [Post 3]

The week of September 17th-23rd looks like it could be awesome. The Autumn Equinox falls in that week and there is no moon at all.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby Cbb » 05 21, 2017 •  [Post 4]

elkaholicid wrote:The week of September 17th-23rd looks like it could be awesome. The Autumn Equinox falls in that week and there is no moon at all.

PERFECT! I'm leaving for MT the 14th.
Cbb

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 21, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Any Sept day! Adjust calling & techniques to be used according to phase of the rut. Full moon really has no bearing on glassing or calling elk, they still perform their same elk duties as during any time frame. No doubt all Elk can become more vocal from the 8th-10th & on throughout the month. I've called in countless bulls & cows in the Aug 30th opener & on for many years. Anyday hunting elk is a good day! (grin) The biggest concern for us is to make sure we do not limit ourselves to just a few days here & there. It's best to hunt 7-10 consecutive days & have 1/2 dozen different spots to hunt if needed in your chosen zone or unit! Elk hunting is a blast, have fun with it.

p.s. do not be afraid to call/bugle even if you hear no calling yourself, many days we have to trigger a response to give away their position then the hunt is on! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lonnie » 05 24, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Elknut1. I know by asking this question I'm going to cause your fingers to get a cramp. But I'm going to ask. How does your calling strategies change in pre, rut, and post. I would think your location bugel is all the time. Then it all depends on what the bull is asking, or not. If it's in the heat of the rut. Then you could be more aggressive depending on the situation. Thanks for your comments.
Lonnie

Postby EdvinJones » 05 29, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Hey guys, I was wondering as a novice in this field of the best time to call in hunting. How really does it affect the route of Elk? I would also appreciate it if someone advises me here on the best UTG AND LEAPERS SCOPE for Elk hunting. Can a tripod for spotting also be used for Elk hunting? Appreciations folks.
EdvinJones

Postby Wapiti » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Our season starts on Aug 25th.I'll be out then !! Last year on Aug 25th we called in a nice 5X5 and shot him as he pushed his cow's past us at 27 yards !! He was bugling the whole way in !!

Get out whenever you can !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Wapiti » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Lonnie,

Early season I always start out in the morning with a few cow mews only. If bulls are close they will answer as they are wanting you to come to them. Keep your bugles non-aggressive in the early season and ramp your bugling up as the bulls get more aggressive.

Also early season finds me doing more groans and grunting type sounds along with whines. Put emotion into your calling and you'll be amazed what comes into your calling. As well I do a lot of chuckling.

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea