Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best Tip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best Tip

Postby Swede » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

If you can remember, tell us what the best one or two elk hunting tips you have picked up from someone on this internet site.

1. How to setup when calling elk. Before Paul straightened me out, I had far too many hang ups. I don't hunt on the ground much any more, but hope to get to this coming season.
2. Better use of calls. I had some old tapes of different sounds, but again Paul explains them so they are a much more useful tool. I personally believe we can simplify his detailed package, but it is hard to argue against the calls.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Best Tip

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Thanks! My tip would be for ones to realize that when elk info is shared either here or through the info we carry is to understand these are Guidelines to consider, they are not set in stone! (grin) Heck, we too tweak our thoughts & methods as an encounter requires it. There's nothing working 100% of the time, sometimes we are adapting & adjusting on the fly to make things happen! Boots on the ground coupled with 100's of elk encounters doesn't hurt matters either! (grin) Sooner or later something works out according to plan! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Old school » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I have gleaned many "tips" from conversations and threads started here. Top 2 would probably be:

1. Camp by the truck so you can stay mobile rather than packing in many miles and restricting yourself to just one area.
2. Elk aren't always 3+ miles back in, don't be afraid to hunt close to the road.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby twinkieman » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 4]

1. Elk are where you find them, don't waste valuable time, hunting in an area that elk are not.
2. Don't call from a setup, where the elk you are calling can see, and he expects to see an elk, before he's in archery range.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby elkaholicid » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 5]

It wasn't on this site but the best advice I have ever received was, "Keep the wind in your face when approaching a bull and he will never smell you"
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

1. Elk do communicate needs, desires, challenges, warnings, contentment, etc., with their vocalization, mannerisms, and physical actions, they are not just out there barking at the moon like dogs ;). Elknut a' la mode right there.
2. Use peroxide in a small spray bottle for blood trailing (got that from old WW).
3. You can safely whizz on a bear's head, only if you're sitting 25' up a tree (Swede).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:3. You can safely whizz on a bear's head, only if you're sitting 25' up a tree (Swede).

If that came from Swede it was disguised; and really a double-dog-dare!!!

My best tip Ok it took me a while ( years) elk are not white-tails.
I still dont believe in " the first good shot" , "take it"
Whats your goal Know what you want out of your hunts

White-tail hunting habits are tough to give up when I first elk hunted . My wife use to laugh. "You dont hunt that way,....."
I hunted out of a stand for mule deer, ( still a great location )
I had ridiculously great opportunities hunting elk in the desert at water out of a box blind
I still dont believe in the first good shot , take it
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Learn how to direct traffic.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Wapiti » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Patience. Give them time to come in. Remember they do not have a clock and they have all the time in the world.
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Swede » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 10]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Learn how to direct traffic.

You may have something there. I would not have to wait for the lights to turn red on Burnside Street in Portland before I entered the roadway next to camp.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lonnie » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 11]

In my book they are all good. I have friends that want to become good elk hunters but just can't spend 20 min a night to learn. I really feel that all of the comments good and bad on this site will help me become a better elk hunter. Thanks to everyone. Keep the post coming.
Lonnie

Postby Heartwood » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 12]

All great tips and suggestions above.
One that works for me is to do something every day to become a better elk hunter and caller. Physical conditioning some days, studying Elknut material, mastering the mouth reed and on and on. It takes a unique set of skills that when combined make you into an effective elk hunter.

The one event that helped me personally become a better more effective elk hunter is the knowledge gleaned from Elknut's various materials. Thanks to Twinkieman for convincing me to read the playbook. That is what got me started.

During the season, never give up no matter how down you get from blown opportunities or close calls or trouble finding elk. Good things will happen when you keep hammering and create encounters with the beast. Mental toughness is the key.

Surround yourself with people that also want to keep improving their elk skills. It is contagious as heck. This forum is a great example of that.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 13]

One I heard here & have used many times is "Elk Hunters Are Good Sufferer's" -- Awesome! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Hunt every day like it's the first day of your hunt!

Elk have no idea what day it is!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro