Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's that you said? Episode #3

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's that you said? Episode #3

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

We'll do this one a bit differently; fill in the blank :D . The vast majority of the bugles in this clip are ??????? bugles. Let's talk about these types of bugles.

Do ?????? bugles have the same meaning as locator bugles?
Are ?????? bugles confrontational in nature?
Will a herd bull use these types of bugles even though he already has a harem?
What non-verbal elk sounds may be heard when a bull is throwing out these ?????? bugles?
If you hear a bull using these types of bugles, how should you respond vocally or physically to maximize your chance of ending up close to the bull?

Gotta love ?????? bull bugles ;) .

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What's that you said? Episode #3

Postby Swede » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

They are advertising bugles and not threats. They will use them to draw cows even if they have some. A few cows is good a harem is better. I guess.
I am not sure what you are asking about the nonverbal sound.
Assuming he has some girls with him, I would get as close as possible, without being detected, and try a threat as Elknut describes them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lonnie » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I would agree with Swede. I would throw out some cow calls and then advertis with him and see what the bull wanted next. To me I would think you might even get a response if you did a estrus call. Some of the videos the bulls had cows. On those I might do a cow mixed with a breading sequence. Sounds like they would all be fun to try the many different ways of calling out. Or you could just hit him with a cow call three times right after he bugel. I think of a locate bugel as Tom saying hi to Jerry. These he's saying hi to the local girls. Want to hook up. Lol
Lonnie

Postby elkaholicid » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Most of the bugles are display bugles. It's not a threatening or confrontational bugle but it is a bugle they will use to attract cows or show off. It doesn't matter if the bull has cow as he always wants more and will use this to attract cows to him. Non-verbal sounds could be the bull digging his antlers into the dirt, brush or raking on trees. He will also flip dirt and small bushes into the air showing his dominance. I would do one of two different plays on him. First option, if he has cows and is bugling quite often on his own, I would move to within 70-80 yards, let off two soft cows calls, and then when he bugles I would cut his bugle off with a challenge bugle. Second option, if he isn't bugling that often on his own, I would try and get within 60-70 yards and do a bull calling to cows bugles to make him think another bull has snuck in and is trying to steal his cows.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 01, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Nice guys. Lots of advertising going on here (or display bugles as elcaholidid labeled them). Non verbal sounds such as raking, pawing, even vigorous splashing around in wallows can enhance (in bullwinkles mind at least) his public announcement that "he" is the ONE that all cows should desire. Get in close, pose a challenge to his bullhood, nock an arrow and be ready, particulary if he already is cowed up. Only problem with straight demure cow sounds when you get close is that the herd satellites (if present) will be on you quicker than Montana trout on a grasshopper, if that's a bad thing ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Beendare » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Yeah, he is showing how big and bad he is.

There are many strategies that work on a bull like this....sneak in and challenge or rake probably my top 2.

I've used a decoy on bulls like this and they stand there screaming at you to 'get over here' usually multiple times.... sometimes not walking over...sometimes they do.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics