Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Worst Tip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Worst Tip

Postby Swede » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 1]

We have a best tip thread, so to have a counter lets have a worst tip thread. They can be like salt and pepper, or maybe oil and water, though I doubt this thread will be very long. Usually we get good tips and not poor ones. Anyway you get the idea.

The worst tip that comes to mind goes something like, "elk are all on the north slope." Another mistake that you hear or read about is avoiding bedding areas. For sure you need to be careful around bedding areas, but they are not a no hunting zone.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Worst Tip

Postby saddlesore » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 2]

You have to wear out boot leather to find elk
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Elknut will love this one!

You cannot call in public land elk!
Tigger

Postby elkaholicid » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 4]

"If you want to beat the elks nose, then you need to smell like an elk. Put some cow in heat urine down on the bottom of you pant legs."

I covered a lot of ground that day because I was constantly smelling elk and knew I had to be close. After several miles I realized that I had actually been smelling and chasing myself around all day.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby twinkieman » 06 07, 2017 •  [Post 5]

You can't bugle and call in a bull.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Heartwood » 06 08, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Never ever hunt elk in their bedding area.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Full moon means bad hunting.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Fridaythe13th wrote:Full moon means bad hunting.

I still read folks asking about the moon phase when they are planning their hunts. The moon phase is similar to not hunting an area after someone makes a kill. "There is the scent of death in the air." :lol:
Swede

Postby olympushunt » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 9]

"Elk bed on north facing slopes." That is true, sure, but try telling the elk you kicked out from the south facing slope as you hurried through there that they are in the wrong spot!
"Elk that are hit well run down hill." I've seen them go uphill and I've seen them not run off. I thought my buddy missed once because this bull ran about 4 feet and stopped. I was getting ready to shoot him (if my buddy can't getter done I will!) as the bull was looking around and suddenly coughed blood everywhere and started to wobble. He fell over right there.
olympushunt

Postby 82ndreddevil » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:
Fridaythe13th wrote:Full moon means bad hunting.

I still read folks asking about the moon phase when they are planning their hunts. The moon phase is similar to not hunting an area after someone makes a kill. "There is the scent of death in the air." :lol:

Swede is probably talking about me LOL. I am guilty of worrying about hunting during a full moon. I have even had guides tell me that hunting during the full moon is rough. Well I am glad I proved that wrong this year. This last September I hunted the full moon and on this public land hunt I saw more elk all day than I have ever seen.
82ndreddevil

Postby Swede » 06 09, 2017 •  [Post 11]

82nd, I think the full moon superstition is the oldest tale in the books. I have no idea where or when it started. I kinda wish everybody believed it so I could have the forest to myself. I have killed a few elk more on or near a full moon than any other time, but not enough to be statistically significant.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 06 10, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Gotta go high for big bulls
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby oldnovice » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Lefty wrote:Gotta go high for big bulls

Yea, riiiiight. This one was SOOO wrong last year! All the bulls (and cows) headed down early last year because the food was scarce up high due to no summer rainstorms. The store owner in Clark said herds were already on his low land in September last year, two months early.
Old guy getting back into hunting after 40 year layoff!

Savage Axis 30-06 with Boyds Prairie Hunter stock, Osprey scope
Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R with ATI stock
oldnovice

Postby Indian Summer » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 14]

It's ok to shoot elk at last light because finding them in the dark is just as easy as in broad daylight.

Haha kidding Swede! I like to make sure your blood pressure doesn't get too low. :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Indian Summer wrote:Haha kidding Swede! I like to make sure your blood pressure doesn't get too low.

Don't worry. My blood pressure is fine. You are a wise and experienced hunter. I respect you and your opinion. You make good points worthy of consideration. I would rather argue with you than someone that just heard about the subject.

Here is a question for you to ponder. I know a hunter that has the night vision optics that the military uses in combat. I have looked through them and they are astonishing. Should he not hunt all of the daylight available to him? In other words can a person's equipment make the difference?
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Swede,
I think he might as well hunt the night as well as the day! I can only think of one reason why he wouldn't!

The worst tip I got was by a well wisher who knew where a herd of elk fed in the bottoms on private and then headed up this drainage to bed. Nobody hunted there for some reason. So we decided to try it. Now I know why nobody hunted there. A mountain goat would have had trouble getting to that spot from the access point. or you could have spent an entire day hiking around it to come from the backside....to hunt within 400 yards of a road! If we would have had more time to figure something out.....
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Tigger wrote:I think he might as well hunt the night as well as the day! I can only think of one reason why he wouldn't!

He doesn't have a night vision scope on his 30-06???
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 18]

That particular piece of equipment would definitely make all the difference in the world. I know a guy guy owns 2 different top of the line night vision devices and the difference they make in what you can do is truly..... night and day. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro