Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your goal this fall?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your goal this fall?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 1]

First legal elk in your area hunted/allowed, first branch antlered bull, first mature bull, etc. What is your target this fall?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Your goal this fall?

Postby Swede » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I will not hold out for him unless the cameras show a real likelihood of his showing up near my tree stand, but I have my eye on the bull RJ has for an avatar. :twisted:
I admit I will be pleased to pack him out for RJ if he can get him, or if it is someone else in the party. That old bull needs an arrow.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Im lowering my standard goal, Little bulls and cows get a pass the first week unless its close to a trail :)
I want my daughter to kill any elk,.. If that happens early , then all cows and small bulls receive a pass..maybe :?

I want to kill a big bull sometime, and I wont be doing that if my tag is punched for a cow
How's that for a solid answer?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 4]

We hunt OTC units on public land so we don't get real picky, I will take the 1st 5+ point bull but will be looking hard for at least a 6 point. No cows, spikes or smaller that a 5.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby saddlesore » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Since my ML tags says antlerless, first cow goes down.I already have tagged enough bulls and three fairly good ones. They justdon't eat as good
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Old school » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 6]

First elk the boys and I have an opportunity at. Even if we get one down early, will probably have the same mentality for the 2nd. We can dream about all 3 of us tagging out :-) Maybe the 3rd guy gets a little more picky, then again, maybe not.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby twinkieman » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 7]

6 point bull, one of two I have been hunting for a few seasons.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Heartwood » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I'll hold out for a 6 point bull as long as I can. We won't need as much meat this year as my daughter and i both harvested elk last year. I'm not real good at passing on opportunities at any bull elk but I intend to be more selective this season. I also hope to call as many bulls as I can for various hunting buddies. I enjoy calling for others as much as for myself.
I'm also excited about my daughter getting started learning to call this season. :D
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Roosiebull » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 9]

same goal as always, first branch bull....that doesn't mean spikes are safe, that just means I don't intend on shooting one, unless I change my mind with a spike in front of me :D

i'm in no hurry this season as of now, so spikes are likely ok, maybe pass a small branch bull early, but I wouldn't put money on it.

I will try as hard as I can, and have fun, the rest works itself out, win, lose, or draw.
Roosiebull

Postby Sticknstringer » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 10]

It's our first time elk hunting for all 3 of us. I'm looking for the experience. If I can get a nice bull down that would be awesome but my focus is learning how to hunt them for the future years. A cow won't be safe if none of us have tagged out.
Sticknstringer

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 11]

6 for me... my main goal is to get my wife a bull, or her brother who is going to join us this year.
Elkhunttoo

Postby T.B. » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Hear lots of bugling. That being said just one bugle from a 6x6 ending with a good shot would be great too!
T.B.

Postby Indian Summer » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 13]

ElkNut1 wrote:We hunt OTC units on public land so we don't get real picky, I will take the 1st 5+ point bull but will be looking hard for at least a 6 point. No cows, spikes or smaller that a 5.

ElkNut1

I think that most public land hunters should be thinking like Elknut. You have to be realistic and ask yourself if you need a 6 point bull bad enough to set yourself up to become one of the approximately 75% of people who go home empty handed. Would a 5 point bull..... or a cow not be better than that? Kill your elk, pack it out, and then take your camera and gps and go scout during open season and make an even better plan for next year.

Everyone knows what kind of potential their area has. Hopefully you also know what kind of competition to expect. That said I'll pass on anything but a 6 point for several days. They are there! After that I might have to push on a bit further where I'll have a whole new world of unhunted country to tap into but you wouldn't want to be a 5 point bull midway through my week. I'm happy with a 5 this season because I killed a dandy 6 last year. But to start my week a mature bull is always the goal.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Cbb » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I hope to have a good experience on my first western hunt this fall. By that I would say if I am near elk and can work them with a call its a win.

The first brow tined bull in range qith a good shot opportunity is going to get an arrow in the lungs. If I am struggling into the second week of the hunt and a cow presents itself she is in trouble.

I also have a deer tag, so any whitetail or muley buck will be in trouble if I get an opportunity.
Cbb

Postby RO1459 » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 15]

After over 30 years of hunting elk, and killing several really nice bulls, I will take the first cow that comes along. I will then wait for a large 5 by 5 to use my bull license. If I don't see the right one, I'll still have a great time in Colorado during he third season. I purchase two licenses so that I can stay out as long as possible. But as others have said, cows eat better. IMO.
RO1459

Postby Beendare » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 16]

my goal;

a Moose/Elk double with my recurve....If the moose doesn't snap off my arrow....I will resharpen and shoot an elk with it.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby NorthIDTLH » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 17]

First bull I can find! Tag soup is no good and Idaho is still being skimpy on opening up cow elk...even for archery!
NorthIDTLH

Postby Roosiebull » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:
ElkNut1 wrote:We hunt OTC units on public land so we don't get real picky, I will take the 1st 5+ point bull but will be looking hard for at least a 6 point. No cows, spikes or smaller that a 5.

ElkNut1

I think that most public land hunters should be thinking like Elknut. You have to be realistic and ask yourself if you need a 6 point bull bad enough to set yourself up to become one of the approximately 75% of people who go home empty handed. Would a 5 point bull..... or a cow not be better than that? Kill your elk, pack it out, and then take your camera and gps and go scout during open season and make an even better plan for next year.

I agree, the 2 units I hunt have 12 and 13% success rate for archery elk, if I want to kill one every year (and I do want to :mrgreen: ) I cannot realistically let too many branch bulls walk by. 3 years ago I had to hunt late cow season to fill my freezer, don't get me wrong, it was a bunch of fun trying to get within bow range of cows that had just been run around like crazy by 2 weeks of rifle hunters :mrgreen: , the previous 8 years I had killed a bull 1st season, and the last 2 years I have as well, but my biggest I have killed was my bull last year, if I held out every year for a 6x6, I think I would have an empty freezer some years, and we like eating elk.
Roosiebull

Postby ishy » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 19]

First legal elk.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Have fun, learn something new about myself, get closer to God while being humbled by his amazing creation, make and share memories with a new hunting partner (hunted together last year for the first time), get home to my family safely with a cooler full of elk meat. I also want to do everything I can to help my buddy take his first archery elk on public land with an OTC tag!
1Elkhunter

Postby stealthycat » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Kill a 6x6 bull

That will hinge on me successfully backpacking in solo, which is all part of the entire goal. I don't want a raghorn
stealthycat

Postby tikka » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I recently found out my friends dad, who is 74 yr old, is going rifle hunting in Montana and I am going with him. I consider him my surrogate hunting dad as my dad can not hunt any more. 6 years ago I went with him and he got a 5X4 and I got a 5X5( I got it mounted). 2 years ago he went and I couldn't go, that was tough, so this year I am going. My goal-have fun, be safe, enjoy the hunt. Bonus if either of us get elk. Who am I kidding-elk is too good to not fill a tag. I am shooting first legal elk I see. My mounted elk isn't huge but i like it.
tikka

Postby CurlyTail » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 23]

We have a group of 4 guys archery hunting Wyoming

I am very much interested in the success of our group as a whole rather than my own success.

I am hoping to call in a couple of elk for my buddies, and won't be at all picky for myself - any legal Elk, cow or spike OK with me.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Rangerz » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 24]

Normally I would be happy with any elk, but this year drew a good tag and plan to hold out for a good one.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Can you be more specific Rangerz? I consider a down elk to be a good one, but there are some better than others. I was a little surprised that the last cow I killed was not more tender. She was dry and fat, but also a bit on the chewy side.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Rangerz » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 26]

I would really like to get a nice 6 point. It is an anterled elk only tag in an area known for producing big elk. My hunting partner got a 345 6 point in a neighboring unit a few years ago. Not that I am necessarily a trophy hunter, but this unit represents a great opportunity to do just that.

I am hopeful that I can get on a nice elk and at the very least have some fun encounters and see some elk. I have the whole season to hunt (except for one day when I have to go to town for work).

I have meat in the freezer thanks to a winter deer I got in AZ and still have some of my buddies elk left. If I end up eating tag soup then so be it, but either way I will be ineligible to apply for a Bull tag for 7 years in NV.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Lonnie » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 27]

To get my daughter her first bow elk kill. She's 14 and ready to hunt.
Lonnie

Postby Grousewit » 06 23, 2017 •  [Post 28]

Seeing as how I will probably die b4 gettin an elk tag in PA(17yrs now). I have to drive 2000 miles to CO this year. So I will harvest the first legal bull (4pt) I see if possible. I will also try to enjoy every minute of the trip.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby NebrCatMan » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 29]

Just to get to the rocky mountains, take in the frosty mornings, fog covered valleys, enjoy camp and my hunting buddies. And have a chance at an elk... first legal elk will fill my tag.
NebrCatMan

First Name: Johnny
Last Name: Barta

Postby Tigger » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 30]

I have 2, no make that 3 goals:

First, I would like to go 2 for 4 as a group.

Secondly, I will shoot any branch antlered bull up until the last day and then might shoot a cow.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I don't wanna get eaten by a bear.
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 31]

Tigger wrote:I have 2, no make that 3 goals:

First, I would like to go 2 for 4 as a group.

Secondly, I will shoot any branch antlered bull up until the last day and then might shoot a cow.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I don't wanna get eaten by a bear.

the last one should be easy, they usually don't eat you after the mauling :shock:
Roosiebull

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 32]

We drew for one of them funny zones in Colorado 69/84. I have to brush up on the rules more, but we have 5 bull tags for muzzy season, I think any bull or spike I can shoot (no point or tine restriction). How long do the spikes have to be???? I know Minnesota whitetails have to be 3" to be a buck.
A very happy hunting trip would be 3 for 5 but like most tip 1 in the freezer is a success. Only about $40 per lbs LOL.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Grousewit » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 33]

Units 69 & 84 antler must b 5" long.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Da White Shoe » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 34]

Swede wrote:I will not hold out for him unless the cameras show a real likelihood of his showing up near my tree stand, but I have my eye on the bull RJ has for an avatar. :twisted:
I admit I will be pleased to pack him out for RJ if he can get him, or if it is someone else in the party. That old bull needs an arrow.

Man! That's a nice bull!
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby Da White Shoe » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 35]

I'll be in Alaska for moose... no SD draw, so.... no elk for me. :(
I do get to call a couple weekends for my buddy that got an archery tag in the Hills... so, that'll be fun.
My plan... (not sure how committed I am...), is to kill a big bull and this time, bow only or I'll go home with my tag.
We do have a rifle hunter with us, so there'll be meat for everyone to take home anyway... more than likely.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby SilverDollars » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 36]

If you ask me? Mine, is to harvest a mature bull in 1 of the 2 (new to me) units I drew for the 4th rifle season in CO.

It is a late season hunt and should be a spot, stalk, and ambush hunt. I'll be looking for remote bull honey holes and perhaps some migration action as well. This all depends on Mother Nature ya know.

A part of that same goal is to safely return home. Proper planning, improves execution, success, luck, and safety.
SilverDollars

Postby Sask hunter » 06 29, 2017 •  [Post 37]

A elk
Sask hunter