Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Going Solo

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Going Solo

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I would like some opinions on my hunt for this fall.
I'm coming from Missouri and this will be a otc diy archery hunt in Colorado for 10-14 days or so

Years past I've hunted solo but always had someone to stay with at base camp and possibly to help pack an animal if I needed a little help. This year they won't be able to go so I'm looking at other options. I've asked one really good buddy to go but I would be really shocked if he will. Ive been thinking I might be better off going by myself if he can't go so I don't have to worry about someone else and or disappointing them, plus I can go on my time frame and not have to move or shorten the hunt for someone else. On the other hand I'm not sure if going completely solo is a good option or not as I have no experience with that yet.
I can ask other guys if they would like to go but I'm just not sure what to do......

Anyone who does the whole trip solo and hunt solo who has some experience I would like to hear what you think about it or maybe things I could do differently or look at!
Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

Right now I like the idea of going solo and I'm not scared to do it. I just want to have a good experience!

Thanks!
MidMoElkNut

First Name: Dave

Re: Going Solo

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 2]

If I was going alone, and I do often, I would have a very good base camp and hunt out of it. You can back pack in and bivy for a day or two in good weather, but limit your hunts to where you can pack out your critter. You will not last long if you are cold, wet and miserable all the time. When you are alone there is no one to share the chores. Give yourself enough time to ensure you are comfortable. Have a dry change of clothes and dry boots. That may mean you need a good stove in your tent and extra boots. You will hunt longer and better if you take good care of yourself. Take time to make yourself a cup of coffee. Call home when you can. Enjoy the experience.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Heartwood » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Swede said it all, I totally agree. I have hunted solo for up to 14 days in the back country, with Llamas some of the time. The thing is, if you are not in elk it can take a lot of work to move to a new area. Most guys are much more mobile hunting from a good comfortable base camp for sure. Your truck can carry you quickly to other parts of your unit. Thanks to the cell phone, I find that a call home every few days can keep the spirits up and help keep you safe. Remember to move even 10 yards or more after you do a calling sequence and especially if you suspect a bull is on the way to you. He will still be focused on the spot where you last called. Solo hunting is a very different and rewarding experience and sometimes we all need to do it when the situation calls. I wish you the best of luck and stay safe.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys for all your advice!

Years past I had a base camp at the truck and would take an atv to get closer to where I wanted to hunt.
Last year (and this is where I plan to hunt this year) I found a good place to hunt but it is a 45 min to an hour atv ride one way from the truck(base camp)..
My plan this year if I was by myself would be to camp by the atv instead of the truck and if I needed something I could always go back to the truck.

Previous years we stayed in a livestock trailer with a wood stove but if I go by myself I wasn't going to take a trailer so that won't be an option unless something changes so it would be just tent camping with a simple camp!
MidMoElkNut

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 5]

In order to really give advice, could you possibly give a little more information. What season (archery/gun) what state, what unit? Often there might be someone here or on other sites that may have good advice or be good contacts for you if needed.

Hunting solo is the ultimate way to hunt elk. Having someone to share camp with you is great mainly just to make sure you make it in every night. Also good company to share stories with in the evening over a campfire. But splitting up and hunting on your own is great. The pride of defeating an elk all by yourself at his own game is totally awesome. And if you goof up there is no one to blame but yourself.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I'm all about hunting solo. But solo camp life is just not the level of fun I prefer. Who will laugh at my awesome jokes? I like my alone time but I'd go stir crazy being in silence every night for 10 or more days.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 7]

WW it will be September archery otc in North central Colorado
I've never killed an elk but this will be my sixth year archery hunting this area.
MidMoElkNut

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer yes I agree it would be pretty lonely but I'm not sure how hard I should look for someone else to go with or if I'm better off going solo.
I know it's going to be hard to find someone that will go but I can always try to or would I be better to go alone?
This is what I'm really trying to decide.
I don't know anyone who I could ask that has ever been archery elk hunting either so it would be asking people who are all new to it!
MidMoElkNut

Postby Swede » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I would rather hunt and camp alone than to have someone that was a distraction or was going to drag me down. Some people want to go home soon after they arrive. Others just have a different agenda, but the worst are the complainers. They can find problems in paradise.
Swede

Postby Brendan » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:I'm all about hunting solo. But solo camp life is just not the level of fun I prefer. Who will laugh at my awesome jokes? I like my alone time but I'd go stir crazy being in silence every night for 10 or more days.

I just start talking to myself and laugh at my own jokes :lol:

To break up the time - I generally split my 10-12 day hunt in half and head into town for a meal and to call home, and recharge for the rest of the hunt. I also like having a base camp I can set up and take down quickly next to the truck, plus having an option for a spike camp or even ultralight camp that I can bring in with me. Makes it easier to adapt to where you find the Elk, or move quickly if you don't.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby RO1459 » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I hunt solo many years and for what appears to be the same reason you have said you will. My biggest concern was how to get the kill back to camp when alone. At 68 that becomes a bigger problem each year. I hunt close to an outfitter and one day asked if they would, for a price, pack out my elk. They were most happy to charge me for that service. After all they are in the business of making money. They charge $450 plus tip to the packer of $50. So for $500 all I have do is skin the elk, cut it in quarters, and mark its location. If Sombrero horse rental is in your hunt area, you can call them and for $550 they will pack out your elk. The tip is included.

Good luck in your hunt and pack out.
RO1459

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 12]

MidMO: I sent you a PM
>>>---WW---->

Postby Beendare » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 13]

FWIW, I always have better success hunting solo.

Everything except calling and meat hauling is easier with one guy. I do use a decoy more when going solo for elk....or sharing camp with a guy then hunting solo.

I don't usually get lonely on a hunt as I'm so wrapped up in figuring them out, up early back late [exhausted!] that type of thing.... I don't think about it much. The only down time is usually mid day....and then I'm napping as getting up at 4 am back a couple hours after dark and hiking those mtns takes a toll on you.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Thanks everyone!!!!

I don't think I will have a problem going solo I've always hunted solo at least for the most part but the past three years my girlfriend would camp with me but she can't make it this year.
I think with her not going I will be able to hunt more and harder because before I would feel bad if I didn't spend time with her which cut into my hunting but we still had fun.
With her not going just means I'll be by myself camping mainly.

As far as packing out goes I have never done it but I shouldn't have a problem with it, it would just take a lot of time by myself.
I'm young and in ok of shape and I feel confident enough about everything that I should be fine but I guess you never know.
MidMoElkNut

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 15]

WW I sent you a pm
MidMoElkNut

Postby saddlesore » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I'm a little old for it now ,but in my younger fit days,I hunted solo a lot. No problem,go for i .
I was wondering,you said you previously camped in the stock trailer.Is it possible for you to bring livestock. With a horse, you can take it to where you camp. .No problem of leaving it like the ATV. The biggest thing is you don't have to limit where you can hunt so you would be able to pack out an elk on your back, and you get it done quicker.

Walk in, pack what you nee on the horse.10- 1 4 days, you will probably have to go back to the truck and restock. During archery season finding grass for the horse is no problem and it can subsist without grain if required. Let it graze mid day when you won' t be hunting
I have had guys along with me rent Sombrero horse on the average they were pretty good,but there were some broncs. They will deliver most anywhere in Northern Colorado
This is how I was able to hunt solo all my years that I did so.
The question is.Can you pack an elk out on yoor back by yourself and then go back and pack your camp out. That will tell you if you can go solo
saddlesore

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Saddlesore
Yes I can take the livestock trailer and the only reason I wouldn't is to save $ on fuel and get around easier.
I don't have any horses myself and don't really know anyone who has one that's used to packing animals but I wouldn't be opposed to it. It seems like horses would be a lot of work or aggravation?

My plan was to take just the truck with an atv in the back, I would park the truck where we would normally have a base camp and take the atv from there closer to where I want to hunt which is about 5 miles. I would probably then camp at or close to where I park the atv and I would probably hunt around a mile or two maybe three miles from the atv.

I know I will have to go to the truck to refuel up on things off and on.
I don't plan on going real far in to where I know if I do kill one I won't be able to get it out solo and I believe if I stay within a couple miles of the atv I can do that.

Anyone have any idea on what the cost of renting a horse for this situation would be and or more info?

Thanks
MidMoElkNut

Postby poisonarrow » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 18]

I hunt by myself most of the time. I live here in Colorado so I have options.I would highly recommend a InReach. You can text home to your family every night, and in a disaster you can get help. Your loved ones can ping your InReach anytime they want to and see where you are. When you are by yourself, you are by yourself!

God forbid , but if you were killed out there they could find you. It is a big world when you are on the mountain by yourself.
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby Lefty » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Im generally gone Friday night and Saturday nights. Not extended times. So the time isnt a burden.
So much depends on you and your reason for hunting. Lots of advantages to hunting alone. Maybe even more advantages sharing a hunt. Calling home. a shower a warm dry camp all make it easier.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 20]

some people like hunting solo, some don't, some love hunting solo, that's me.

the woods are my time to unwind, and get away from humans, I love the alone time and solitude, and hunting elk gives you a darn good excuse to do it. when I broke away from my "hunting group" I started killing elk, like a couple others mentioned, killing an elk solo is much easier, other than calling and packing as beendare mentioned. I enjoy hunting at my own pace, and I feel more focused on the task hunting alone.

you don't have to worry about finding a big bull in the morning, backing out because of the wind...or whatever, meet back at camp with your buddies, tell them about the big bull and where it is, now they all want to join you in making a play on that bull :?

you get to be as selfish as you want to be, and it takes a lot of the stress out of it, there isn't a hurry when it's just you.

don't kill anything outside of your physical means, if you are going to learn to hunt solo, nobody can be there to teach you ;) take advantage of this season to learn the ins and outs, you will enjoy it, and in the future you may be trying to sneak out of town without any company when September rolls around.
Roosiebull

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Thanks guys I think I will like hunting solo it's nice just to get away like some have mentioned.
I may look into an Inreach too just in case

Thanks
MidMoElkNut

Postby Backyard » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I found that the hardest part of "going solo" was the drive out and back, coming from Minnesota.
As far as something along the lines of Inreach, I showed my Wife how to use CalTopo and every evening I would text her my coordinates so that she knew exactly where I was then. I was on foot so she knew that I wouldn't be moving very far if any the next day or so. I also hunt North Central Co. and never had a problem getting service.

Good luck!
Backyard

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 23]

I will look into the inreach and see what it costs and what it's all about.
It's about a 15 hour drive for me which isn't to bad I guess. I try not to stop much and would rather not spend money on a hotel.
I did have enough service in spots to send a text and maybe make a phone call so it's not like I won't be able to let someone know how everything is going.
MidMoElkNut

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 24]

To me, I think you have a good plan with the atv. I have pack out a lot of elk with horses and a few on my back. No doubt horses are easy when packing but with your situation I would go with your plan.... Idk Colorado rules but if you can debone the meat it saves a ton of weight and a guy can pack an elk out pretty reasonable by himself in a few trips. I think you have a good plan! Good luck
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkduds » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Solo hunting takes some adjustment, then it grows on you. You have time to think deep thoughts, no thoughts, or both. You pay more attention to nature and hunting, because nobody is talking to you, going to meet you, expecting your return, upset w you. I have found it relaxing and rewarding to hunt solo. It is not fun if you do not feel safe, so beacon/inreach, NOAA weather forecasts daily, and personal contact w nearby hunters are all good ideas. I usually let hunters I encounter know I am solo, most offer help if needed and some will share a campfire.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby COElkNut » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 26]

In September here in Colorado you will most usually be greeted with pleasant weather. Hunting in a t-shirt is a wonderful thing!!!

I wholeheartedly encourage it - just be super aware of and be prepared for the possibility of wildly changing conditions. Also, be brutally honest with yourself in evaluating your strengths/limitations/fitness to persevere through an accident.

I don't wanna be a "doom and gloom" nay-saying ninny....or a "know-it-all, internet keyboard commando butt-head" either, but these things are important to consider.

I primarily hunt solo (like 99.99999999% of the time). For me, just about everything about solo backcountry camping/hunting becomes more enjoyable the fewer the number in camp (except with my kids - i ADORE having them come with me!!!!!).

Depending on how high you plan on camping/hunting you could also get some snow. Knowing what and how to be comfortable in those conditions has a huge impact on the hunt. Those conditions can also create life-threatening conditions.
COElkNut

First Name: COE

Postby stealthycat » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 27]

I use to go elk hunting every year - late 1990's to early 2000's. I was pretty successful at DIY hunts, either backpacking in or using llamas. Last time was in 2007 and it sucked in southern Colorado.

I was 40 then ... 3 knee surgeries and vertigo and 8 years later and I drew a unit 77/78 muzz tag and planning solo backpack hunt like I did when I was younger. Its going to be hard, I've already re aggravated my left knee. No pain no gain right? I fully intend to go back into the Weminuche, hunt solo, backpack .... and see what happens.
stealthycat

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 28]

Welcome to the forum stealthycat, glad to have you on board. Congrats on your tag draw and best of luck on your upcoming hunt mister!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 29]

It is good to have your here Stealthycat. Good luck on your hunt.
Swede

Postby stealthycat » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 30]

trying to reabsorb elk hunting wisdom

I was very successful back in the day ... but I can't do what i did then which was walk/bugle/walk/call/walk/call .... you get the idea :D At 48 I won't be able to hike 20 miles a day. The elk are way more educated.

my best bull .... from 1996 maybe ??

stealthycat

Postby COElkNut » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 31]

stealthycat wrote:trying to reabsorb elk hunting wisdom

I was very successful back in the day ... but I can't do what i did then which was walk/bugle/walk/call/walk/call .... you get the idea :D At 48 I won't be able to hike 20 miles a day. The elk are way more educated.

my best bull .... from 1996 maybe ??

That sure is a beauty of a bull!!!
COElkNut

First Name: COE

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 32]

Stealthycat good luck on your hunt and be safe!

Going Solo is nice because I can go at my own comfortable pace and have a good time! : )
MidMoElkNut

Postby Beendare » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 33]

Dang Stealthy...you calling 48 old?

Blasphemy......you're only 1/2 way there bro....
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby stealthycat » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 34]

my mind is 25, my body is 48 ... my knees are 120 I'm afraid !!

a little under 3 months to get ready ... I did 40 minutes of bleaches a couple of weeks back, I ran up them with a 40# pack, walked down them ... then played 1:30 of hard racquetball.

I did that day 1 no problem ... next day did it again and 30 minutes into racquetball and my left knee tweaked. Too much too fast maybe? So scaled back for 2 weeks, its better, doesn't feel structurally damaged (again) .....

I'm supposed to take my son to Colorado mid-July for some backcountry packing ... I'll know then if my knee will hold

thanks on the bull - I got between him and his cows, I was kneeling under the boughs of a tree and he was at 12 steps rubbing a tree looking right at me. I drew once, had to let down, drew twice, and again had to let down I held so long him raking his antlers. 3rd draw and he turned to rub from the other side and I shot. He was big bodied, IIRC he's got 9 1/2" bases .... really heavy. 5x5 with a little 6th on one side to make him a 5x6 I guess .....

can I top him this year ? I shot at 2 bulls bigger - one was was a 350 bull ...first year I elk hunted, might have been first bull I ever shot at. Never forget that bull ...
stealthycat

Postby Swede » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 35]

My mind is almost 70 (my wife says 70 going on 10) and my body feels like it needs a ground-up restoration. I am hoping I can keep up with RJ this season and Oly cuts me some slack so I can have a chance to fill an Idaho tag. Between the two of them I may feel more like 80.
Swede

Postby stealthycat » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 36]

I drug my Dad to Colorado when he was 69 and we used llamas and packed into remote areas .... don't know how the man did it.
stealthycat

Postby Navesgane » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 37]

Have you checked out the looking for partner thread?
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby stealthycat » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 38]

I could get a partner - I want to do this my way. Me, myself, the physical and mental parts all on me .... and I really want to kill a bull, and pack it all out myself

Its a challenge for me. Having someone else along would be safer ... but they'd alter my hunt, my challenges etc. I might invest in a SPOT to keep the wife happy or something ....
stealthycat

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 39]

Ok, I've got some experience here that I can share. I've done a few solo's, all were for archery elk in CO on public land in a wilderness area. Here are my thoughts...

1) think ahead about what you're going to do logistically if you get an animal down, particularly an elk, much less a mature bull. This should determine where you're going to hunt, so that you can get the meat out before it turns in the early season heat. Also, be real with yourself on your ability... can you haul up to 300 lbs of boned meat on you back possibly up to several
miles? If you've not made arrangements for a packer, or have animals of your own, and will be packing everything in and out on your back then you can't think this part through enough. I had to pass (twice no less) on what would have been my largest bull ever (of any method of take) in 2010 in CO because I hadn't really thought it through before I followed a heard down into a hole that I could barely get myself out of. I am proud of myself for making the decision to let down on what I estimated to be a 340" bull on public land... it was not an easy decision to not let me demons win the day.

2) are you prepared to live in your own head, by yourself for an extenders period (several days)? Another point to really think through. Are you ok with you own company? Are you set motivated and driven? These are legitimate questions. Not everyone has the grit to keep going when your cold, tired, hungry or scared, lonely and missing your loved ones after x days. I'll be honest, it's tough for me, and I'm not what most would consider a wussie. In fact I'm a pretty hard mofo. But I don't like hunting solo. I will over the choice of not hunting at all but I'd rasher share the experience with friends and family.

3) it's tougher to call a bull in when your solo... not impossible but it makes it more difficult. They are pretty good about pinpointing your exact location so you have to be mindful to move after you call as a general rule. The benefit though is it's easier to go stealth mode when your solo.

I know guys that love, even prefer solo hunting... they are some hard dudes! But to me, it's just a bit lonely. I don't get to hunt nearly as much as I'd like to so I want those times to be about making memories with the people in my life hat I love, many of which are already gone to the Lord. Just my opinion... either way have fun, be safe and kill somethin'
1Elkhunter

Postby stealthycat » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 40]

I killed a bull first year I went solo elk hunting. The next 4 years I either killed a bull or passed killing shots. Backpacked a couple out, used llamas on a couple, had an outfitter get the meat once. I did it multiple ways.

My signature pic bull was very large bodied animal.

First night alone in the wilderness is different for sure. I had a sow and 3 cubs eat my camp up one time with me watching from 100 yards away - couldn't run that aggressive sow off until they ate everything we packed in !!

Only 1 thing 'm really afraid of ... lightning. Been spooked ever since I crossed a bare ridge top in the Holy Cross area years back and a fast storm lit us up. You could feel the electricity in the air. I hate it now.

I've read enough on beetle kill to be very wary where I place my tent. i'm afraid the Weminuche has changed greatly in 10 years
stealthycat