Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting Battle Rhythm.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting Battle Rhythm.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 11, 2017 •  [Post 1]

In the armed forces, battle rhythm is a well thought out and planned build up to being mentally and physically prepared to do what needs to be done, at the unexpected moment it must be done (paraphrasing). Things such as mental and physical readiness, temperature and elevation acclimation, etc...must be adjusted to/moved through for a few days to several before the individual/team is ready to react/attack accordingly when the opposition reveals itself. It's somewhat similar in elk hunting. Honestly, we don't do this stuff through out the year on a daily basis (sure we practice calling, shooting, going over tactics in our heads, and work on physical conditioning, etc. but its not the real deal when the moment of truth arrives) so I'm asking....how long does it take you as an elk hunter to be in your peak battle rhythm once your 5, 7, 10 day elk hunt starts? Just throwing it out for discussion.... ;) .
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Hunting Battle Rhythm.

Postby Swede » 06 11, 2017 •  [Post 2]

As many times as I have gone through the start of elk season, you would thing it would be automatic, but it isn't. It takes me two or three days at least before everything is routine again, and I have everything in the truck I need, everything is in my pack where I want it, and the stands are the way I want them.
Maybe on the first hunt I forgot to bring some item, so I improvise or do without. Things need to be trimmed a little here and there in the tree. How far out are the objects I will use to guesstimate yardage from? It is just little things that need to be readied. Can I shoot one the first morning or for that matter as soon as I have my bow up the tree. Of coarse, but will I need an extra trip back to the truck, or even camp? There is a good chance I will.
Another way I can tell I am not battle ready, is in the amount of time it takes me to get out of camp. The first few days I need to think too much. Things are not automatic like they will be in a few days.
One thing I do is when I set up each stand for the first time is, write down on my note pad the items I need to bring in for my first hunt. If someone else is hunting that stand, I inform them about what it is lacking.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 3]

About four days in,which is why I dislike the 5 day seasons in Colorado. I spend the 1st 2-3 days finding the elk. Then again ,I 'm not too interested in killing one the1st day or two, but I'll sure put one down if a stupid one walks by me
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby RAMMONT » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I'm trying really hard not to react badly to the use of military jargon but I really have become annoyed with this societal need to use military labels for civilian activities. I'm not a war with elk, I hunt recreationally and for the harvest. But after having retired from the military, I've earned the right to say that there is absolutely no reason to use military language to describe what we do when we hunt, there really is no comparison whatsoever. As a civilian I choose to go hunting at my discretion, leaving when I feel like it, coming back when I feel like it, going where I want to, and when I get home I sit in the hot tub and then take a warm shower and then I have a good meal and watch a little TV and finally I go to sleep in a warm, dry bed. That's quite a different story from my old military life of days filled with anxiety and intensive effort trying to succeed at achieving goals and taking care of my Marines, eating MREs, and sleeping where ever I could fit my body and my equipment.

I know that you are trying to describe the need to adjust to your environment but that's what we all do every time we go some place new, we adapt to new sounds, feelings, and perceptions, that's just humane nature, we are actually dealing with our need for personal security. I don't know of any way to force that adjustment and everybody is different, some people adapt immediately and others take days to feel like their in tune. I have an unfair advantage though since I now live in the wilderness, but I can remember what it was like to travel to a hunting area after months of planning and then having to spend the first couple of days getting mentally adjusted to a new place. For me, when hunting season comes around, I simply go out and enjoy myself. But I've also lost that intensive need to succeed at all costs, nowadays I don't 'need' to get my animal, if I succeed then that's nice, but I don't have to.
RAMMONT

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 5]

RAMMONT,

Thank you for your service mister! I'm retired Army myself. Ya, just trying to query how long our elk hunters/forum members feel it takes to acclimate to the physical rigors and mental sharpness (peak performance) once they arrive at their elk hunting destination each fall. I still work for DoD as a civilian and work with Soldiers on a daily basis so I guess I still have the military language in my vocabulary. Heck, I still say HOOAH when civilians ask me a question instead of yes :?. I understand your thoughts though; it is not a battle for me either to elk hunt, more of a physically/mentally demanding vacation ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I never understood the question to be about combat, but about focus and readiness. Just as important as getting everything in order is staying focused. I can let down, and be caught off guard too. That comes after spending weeks out.
I don't have to get an elk to be satisfied. I have to do my best or I am not pleased with me. I am not a machine, so I make allowance for rest and recuperation time. I really don't blame others if I don't succeed, even though I realize hunting activity and ranching have changed the nature of the hunting experience where I have been. I agree elk hunting is about the experience and the fun. When it becomes combat, I am staying home.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby six » 06 13, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I spend 350 days a year planning for my Elk hunting adventure. I know where I'll be spending my 1st day and then the 2nd if I don't locate and elk on the first and so on and so on. We park the truck and hit the ground running so to speak. Physically I'm not feeling 100% until day 3 +/- do to the change in elevation. As far as tweeking equipment that has been done and re done throughout the summer.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lefty » 06 13, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Rammont at tmes we use analogies, terminology that can be offensive to others.
While not the same in seriousness, my daugher is quite the fisherwoman. No fish is a monster, hog or pig. In her fishing circle.
As a kid growing up in our house, our Dad was very clear no woman would ever be addressed as th old-lady, bitch, nag, hog, pig or other potentially derogatory terminology towards women of any age.

Back to the origibal topic.
I' like the BSA motto.
BE PREPARED.
My shooting should be as good as it gets, All my gear is in the best shape and ready to go from oil changs and tire pressure, washed as scent free clothes for all conditions, scouting. I may not be in the best physical condition of the year, but physically and mentally ready.

A musky fishing buddy use to say, make every cast as if is your only cast.

When I step out of the truck I'm ready
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H