Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Passing It On.... Contest

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Passing It On.... Contest

Postby Indian Summer » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Ok so lucky me won the May photo contest. But I already have a few Clip Shots so I'm going to pass on my winnings.

So here's the deal: I want to hear from you what motivates you most to hunt and kill elk. Mind you.... those are TWO different questions. Perhaps you hunt elk because you like to punish yourself. But you are motivated to do everything in your power to kill one because you want to prove your manliness to the girl of your dreams. :lol:

I'll be honest I haven't decided how to pick the winner yet. I might number the replies and pick a number from my Sitka Jetstream hat. Or..... if the stories get interesting and creative.... or super humorous etc. I might select the best reply.

I'll run this thread until the last day of June. Wapiti1 will ship the Clip Shot to the lucky winner shortly thereafter. And go!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Passing It On.... Contest

Postby Swede » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I am motivated to "hunt" them because they like having me around. Late August and September is our special time together. They enjoy the hunting games. They enjoy seeing "that little moron" slipping around in the woods trying to get close. They love watching me get frustrated or just sitting there alone in a tree.
I try to kill one if I can. It is sort of revenge. They think they are so darn smart and can outwit me. Well 99.9% of them do, so they feel pretty good about being on Team Elk.

I like sharing my motivation, but don't put my name in the hat. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I was thinking about this today. If I ask "why" too much, I run out of answers, but the drive is still there. So I guess I was born to hunt. :mrgreen:

p.s. you don't need to put me in for the prize.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 06 14, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Mildred the lead cows suddenly stops. She looks back at the herd following. "Swedes back guys. I see him up the hill sitting on a log munching on something."
The herd stops and stays put. Ralph says to his calf son. "Carefully look out of the bush ahead and check out Swede. Remember all those human calls you have been learning all Summer? Watch carefully now and I will give out a Four Eyes Grunt. Swede will instantly drop what he is eating, make a mess, stumble around and start glaring our way. He will be checking us out through some really long eyes he usually carries around his neck." "Grunt"
"Pretty cool huh?"
Minutes pass and Swede tries to salvage the remains of his half eaten sandwich.
"Now I will give him the ole Echo Bugle. In a minute he will try to sound just like I did, only worse." "EEEYAAA"
"It happens every time. He is as predictable as a squirrel scolding another for stealing their cone."
"Ok, I have one more call and then lets ease out of here. This is my favorite. The Peekaboo Bark. As soon as I let out a short bark, he quickly hides behind whatever cover is closest to him." "Bark"
"Swede is harmless fun. As we leave I will show him a little butt and antlers. He will continue roaming around here in a circle for the next two hours."
"Son, what I like about these humans is how you can make them respond, and how predictable they are. When you learn their language, you can really mess them." "Can you believe it; they think they are smarter than we are?"

And you guys wonder why I hate elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I have read a lot of hunting stories either in Outdoor Life or Bugle. For some reason, the allure of a crisp mountain morning, smelling the smells of autumn just trigger something deep within me. I cannot explain why I have been bitten with the elk hunting bug as some are bitten by the ocean or rock climbing or what have you. It is just there. I try and always take the time to appreciate the sights, sounds, smells and....well not so much the taste...of the mountains. To hear a bugle or to smell the aspens or to see an elk camp all set up just really trips the old trigger! I think elk, more than any other animal, encompass all the things that I really enjoy. Mountains...check. Bugles (sounds) check. Rutting actions....check. Aspens...check. Big antlers....check. Great meat...check. hard work...check. a sense of accomplishment whether successful or not....check. I fully realize how lucky I am to be able to hunt elk. not many can do it and fewer still do it like I do it. Not to mention great hunting buddies. And another thought...it keeps me in shape!

I will also recuse myself from the contest, however, it isn't because I don't like Clip-shots, it is because I like them so much I have a bunch. Time for some others to get some!
Tigger

Postby js80138 » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Because I never want to forget that my life is much easier than any generation that came before me. Before frozen dinners, convenient stores and grocery isles in Wal-Mart. Before Whole Foods and King Soopers. I hunt because I want to truley feel Grace and give sincere grattitude when I say my prayers before eating the meal I harvested. Most importantly I want my children to see their father provide in ways that can't be purchased by money.
js80138

Postby ishy » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I hunt because at 14 my Dad took my to scout for an upcoming rifle spike elk hunt in a limited entry unit in Utah. When we stepped out the canyon was going nuts with bulls bugling and crashing antlers. I don't recall even seeing an animal, but it was the coolest thing I ever experienced. It was magical! I have spent almost every fall since trying to find that magic. Be it with a camera, guiding, or hunting myself I am drawn every fall just like John Muir '"The mountains are calling and I must go" I struggle to explain it to someone that has never experienced September in the woods because my vocabulary doesn't encompass what it does for me.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Kessler10 » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 8]

what motivates me to hunt.....

wanting to see how far I can push myself to explore areas most others are either scared to go or cannot physically go. Gettgin back to the old days and my roots by Unplugging and getting off the grid. Knowing that I am in full control of everything and am depending on no one else except myself to sustain and survive. Knowing i am stepping out of my comfort zone and into the Elk's home field.

Motivate me to Kill.....

Achieving a goal I set out to do. Sharing my harvest with family and friends
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby Steve G » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 9]

What motivates me to hunt is the same thing that makes me scratch a mosquito bite, and like a mosquito bite the scratching only seams to make the itch worse.

What motivates me to kill the elk is the fresh meat in the cooler.
Steve G

Postby Indian Summer » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 10]

The replies have gotten much more interesting since I last checked in. Looks like we have some competition! Next???
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 11]

What motivates me to hunt elk - what a question! Lets consider this - way before the season starts, you get to wear a 50# pack and walk the hills in humid, 90+ degree heat for months on end attempting to get in the ever elusive "elk shape." Then you get to drive 15+ hours to get to "your" spot, only to find others think "your" spot is theirs, then you spend your nights sleeping in a freezing tent, you awake at 3:30AM and walk at least 5 miles at high altitude in the attempt to find/hunt elk, you spend meal time eating food that only tastes good when eaten in the mountains, then you go to bed at 11:00PM and repeating this cycle for 10 straight days without taking a hot shower. Why in the world do I spend my precious vacation time hunting elk? Who in their right mind would be motivated to do this? Oh yeah, I forgot, it's the priceless time spent in God's country with friends or family. It's the time spent cooking over an open fire next to a canvas tent. It's the shrill of a bugle cutting through the air at midnight, it's the whistling, raspy bugle down the slope as you approach that hidden meadow. It's the breathtaking beautiful, rugged country you get to explore in an attempt to find "the spot". It's the smile that comes across your sons face when they hear that first bugle and they exclaim "did you hear that!" I guess, for me, I cannot narrow it down to one thing - it's simply the whole package of adventure, there's just something about chasing bugling bulls around the mountains in September.

What motivates me to kill an elk? To know I've traveled to a distant state in an unknown area and challenged the elk on his home turf - and won.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I think elk hunt is to piss the wife off, you know my elk hunting buddy's come over and all we do is talk elk, or getting the calls out and chasing her out of the house. LOL.. Just kidding. I think it's the order of the hunt, it starts with planning. Who is going, where we are going, how much it's going to cost. Once we figure the who and where now the mapping and goggle earth starts finding 5-8 campsites area to hunt. Now buy new stuff, packing getting in shape. Then the drive, finding one of those campsites, unpacking setting up, shooting your bow. Opening day, hearing the 1st bugle, see the 1st elk, the smell of the air, the view from the top of the world, the story's around the campfire at night. And the best part of it all the drive home where we start planning for the next year trip.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Mattfat » 06 23, 2017 •  [Post 13]

What motivates me to hunt elk: I think it is a combination of a lot of things for me as well as most but if I had to pick one it would be something like this. Communicating with and understanding the language, movements, habits of free ranging elk. Interestingly enough when I was single i was interested most in trying to talk to, looking at and studying the habits of free ranging babes but after I got married I have been most obsessed in talking to and listening to and studying fish and mammals that don't tell me to take out the trash, mow the lawn and your not wearing that are you?
We are just a speck on this earth and I realize that most when I'm out west. I've been hunting in general since i was 8 and am almost 50 now. I've learned most of everything I know about hunting elk just the same as I've learned about whitetails and turkeys ; reading articles, watching shows, going on forums such as this and then going out in the woods and applying anything that I've learned to see if it works. And every now and then it does! And when it does it's like :shock: Then you want more :shock: When you get more
:shock: It's like an addiction. I'm still pretty green when it comes to elk hunting so I don't have too many
:shock: built up but plenty of :oops: but I've had enough to be addicted to chasing bulls with my bow and don't see and end in sight.
As far as what motivates me to kill an elk goes that's an easy one. Cuz it's freaking hard!!
Mattfat

Postby Indian Summer » 07 03, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Upon further review we have a winner! It wasn't easy. I picked several answers that were right down my alley and put those names in a hat and picked one. The lucky guy is a fairly new member Mattfat. He only has 2 posts and it takes 3 to be able to send him a PM. So in the event he has vanished forever the runner up is js80138.

I'll give you a week to claim your prize Matt. If Wapiti1 doesn't hear from you by July 10th it'll be going once twice three times gone to our runner up.

So now I'll answer my own question. I hunt elk for two reasons. One is because I am super goal oriented. I like to set the bar high and then set aside enough time to do whatever it takes to achieve my goal and earn a handsome reward. Killing a bull elk is a pretty high bar and a dead bull to me is the ultimate paycheck. When you go through all the things we go through walking up on a downed bull elk is WAY better than going to the bank and cashing any paycheck. But for me it is the lure of the mountains. Tigger if you hadn't bowed out I would have handed you the prize buddy! If elk lived in a swamp in Louisiana I might never have killed one. If rats roamed the Rocky Mountains I'd probably be an avid rat hunter with full body mounts all over the house. I was born to be a mountain man. I'm very comfortable up there and I've become very good at living comfortably in the hills under any conditions. Just being there puts me in a great frame of mind.

What pushes me to persevere until I kill a bull? Because I'm very competitive WITH MYSELF! I'm the same way at work. Push push push. Failure is not an option and I do not use the word "can't". It's that simple. Plus I have lived on elk meat since 99 and don't plan on changing that any time soon. Elk.... it's what's for dinner! :D
Indian Summer

Postby Roosiebull » 07 03, 2017 •  [Post 15]

now that the contest is over, I will try to convey my thoughts on what motivates me.

I feel my motivation has changed through the years. it started out as this new thing that I was instantly obsessed with, I didn't need anything to motivate me.

the time between my first early season and the late cow season, I started feeling like I was putting some things together, and I might actually get a chance to shoot at an elk....my first motivation was born, I need to learn to shoot my bow good enough to kill one when I get a chance.

the next 3 years I just wanted to kill an elk, it wasn't about anything meaningful, it was just one of those stubborn "i need to accomplish this" through those 2 years I learned what buck fever was, I got a few shots at elk, but not a hair was harmed....my new motivation was learning to control my emotions with elk in archery range.

the last week of the season, my 4th season everything lined up, and I killed my first elk, it was a cow, and I was super excited....a new motivation came to life....all of that food!

the next several years I had meat as my main motivation, but of course the desire to "hunt" only strengthened. when I was younger, I was always scared of losing the desire to hunt, that it would become less interesting as time went on, thankfully, that couldn't be further from the truth.

once I killed my first elk, I started having success every year, and my motivation became to keep that roll going. a few years ago, I think that started taking away from the hunt, adding un needed stress, and came to the conclusion I would just try as hard as I could, and let the chips fall where they did.

the past couple years have been really fun, no pressure, just figure if I try every day, an opportunity will present itself during the season, and have just came to appreciate every aspect of every day in the woods. I feel like I don't have any motivations anymore, I don't need any. I don't hunt to prove anything, I will not starve if I have a blank year at some point, I just really enjoy being there anymore.

I don't really set goals, one day I may pass a small bull, and the next day I may kill a smaller one :D I take the season one day at a time, and am thankful for every day in the woods, and the ability to be there and do it.

I don't need to push myself to see what i'm made of, i'm comfortable with that, and have way more fun when i'm just out hunting for that day...don't need to stress about the rest of the season. I have the desire to hunt, I guess that's all I need anymore to try as hard as I can.
Roosiebull

Postby Dr. Rx » 07 04, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I love this topic.. Good post Indian

What motivates me... "The Encounter"

Last year I experienced My first "The Encounter". It was a very sacred moment, He saw me at 43 yards, I saw him from the neck above behind a bush that was covering all of his key vitals. No real chance at a shot.

We had a 2 minute stare down with one another. I was in such awe of his amazing Ivory tip rack. I was frozen by the beauty of this animal. "The Encounter" was set in motion

He looked at me and I looked at him. He knew He had the upper hand and I had no shot. More Importantly, even if I did have a shot, that Elk deserved to be taken the right way. I did not trick the quarry the ethical way on my terms. I was really proud by Not taking an ill advised shot through the brush or a neck shot. The temptation is always there.

He gave me a cool nod saying "not today" and gently turned and walked away like a ghost in the forest.

Was an amazing experience that "The Encounter"

Hooked for Life

Kris
Dr. Rx

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 07, 2017 •  [Post 17]

I posted this last year but it is a poem I wrote that sums up hunting for me.

O that one special time
I dream of all year
That Opening Day
Just rings through my ear

The arrows I shoot
The tapes that I play
That Opening Day
Seems so far away

The calls get worked
And the halls get walked
That Opening Day
Seems my only thought

Now the older I get
The more you would think
That Opening Day
Would come in a blink

But as time ticks faster
And the years go around
That Opening Day
Can still never be found

O to be in the Rockies
This one time of year
That Opening Day
The whistles you'll hear

You yearn for the breath
That You see from a bull
That Opening Day
It just seems, so cool

The brisk air you feel
The big bull looking at me
That Opening Day
Through a v-cut tree

And then you remember
It's not just a thought
That Opening Day
The one that you sought

The leaves start to change
And the time is right
That Opening Day
O what a sight

It's finally here
Back in the country we know
That Opening Day
Come rain wind or snow

Then I sit down and think
On Gods majestic hill so tall
That Opening Day
Still comes each and every fall!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 07 07, 2017 •  [Post 18]

For me , I really dont know the answer to both questions.
the hunt,..maybe to be outdoors, I know there is more drive to hunt than to hike in the woods.

I do like elk meat better than goose,.. well maybe the change from goose meat.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lark Bunting » 07 09, 2017 •  [Post 19]

I'm not posting for the prize but I like the question and wanted to participate.

My motivation to hunt comes from a conversation my son and I had 7 years ago when he was 8. We were in the garage one day enjoying shooting his Red Rider BB gun and his cheap Bear bow. He was learning the basics of gun handling safety and how to shoot a bow properly. He looked up to me and asked if I could teach him how to hunt, my honest answer was, "no, I can't...but we can learn together!". I didn't grow up hunting. I had spent nearly my whole life as a fly fisherman so the outdoors were not new to me...as long as there was a trout stream nearby. I had always had a serious affection for shooting sports though and pretty much always owned a bow of some sort my entire life. I had shot BB guns and was a great shot as a kid, heck my friend and I used to have a game where we would walk the dirt road on his property and shoot grasshoppers that jumped onto the road. I never once lost. You have to be 10 in Colorado to take your hunter's safety test so we waited a couple years and we took it together. We slowly have acquired gear, and more importantly experience the last few years. We started with small game and progressed to big game when he was 12. I took a deer three years ago but we have never taken an elk. That's what motivates me, the fact that I made a promise that we would learn to hunt together, father and son. We both drew a tag this season that took us three years to get and it's got a great population of elk, and we have friends that have hunted there and have been successful. I feel this is the year we finally get it done. That desire is what got me up today at 6:00 on a Sunday so I could get in a 5 mile run before it got too hot. It's why I came home and shot 40 arrows before my morning coffee. It's why I'm online researching for any little nugget of information that I can and hopefully recall it this September when the situation calls for it. I have a primal desire to hunt and kill an elk to feed my family something as wholesome as an elk, or a deer.
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Going 3 times.... GONE! Hey Waputi1 how about sending our next in line a PM. If you don't hear back let me know. Thanks.
Indian Summer

Postby Mattfat » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 21]

I'm here!
Sorry, was on vacation in Key West. No elk in Key West btw but lots of, well I'm sure you all can think of some funny stuff to put in there. lol
Mattfat

Postby Indian Summer » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 22]

You are forgiven! I do Key West every year. Other than the mountains its my favorite place to be. Where did you stay?
Attachments
IMG_0600.JPG
Indian Summer

Postby Mattfat » 07 10, 2017 •  [Post 23]

My 1st time going there. I've always worked 6-7 days a week all my life and normally stay home and work and let my wife take the kids. Well now my kids are 18 and 20 ; struggling marriage and life is passing me by. So, a couple years ago I hired an assistant to help with my business and have started to do more things with my kids and myself . It's worked out great! We flew to Ft Lauderdale then rented a suv and drove the 3 1/2 hr scenic highway in. (My idea). I love to drive.
We stayed at Southernmost. I really didn't want to leave. Even took my wife and kids on deep sea charters something I've always wanted to do.
Mattfat

Postby Deanmac » 07 11, 2017 •  [Post 24]

Mattfat wrote:My 1st time going there. I've always worked 6-7 days a week all my life and normally stay home and work and let my wife take the kids. Well now my kids are 18 and 20 ; struggling marriage and life is passing me by. So, a couple years ago I hired an assistant to help with my business and have started to do more things with my kids and myself . It's worked out great! We flew to Ft Lauderdale then rented a suv and drove the 3 1/2 hr scenic highway in. (My idea). I love to drive.
We stayed at Southernmost. I really didn't want to leave. Even took my wife and kids on deep sea charters something I've always wanted to do.

Sounds like a great trip
Deanmac

Postby Mattfat » 07 11, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Indian Summer- I don't know how to post pics from my iPhone but I have several pics that look like yours with the same ship and everything!

As it's pouring down rain here in Indiana today it's nice to reflect back on.
Mattfat