Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Late season water

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Late season water

Postby Steve G » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I've read a lot about how elk need water. This seems like a no brainer during early season. Do elk still need to water daily when there is snow on the ground and the temps are below 0 F?
Steve G

Re: Late season water

Postby Swede » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Normally in late season there is much more water available in the mountains. Even the vegetation they eat is wet. The high desert has received some Fall rain or a little snow. The temperatures are much cooler. The need for water is less and the availability is greater. That is not a good combination for the water hole hunter.
When we hike and the temps are in the 80s, we need a lot more water than when the temps are in the 30s or 40s. Elk are the same way. I would not sit at a water hole in the cooler seasons where I hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Steve G » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Swede. I agree that sitting on water is likely a waste of time.

I am planning a December hunt in an area that I am unfamiliar with. What I am wondering is can I disregard water as I narrow down my hunt area if I can find the other needs such as cover and feed?
Steve G

Postby Swede » 06 15, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Are you rifle hunting or is it a late season bow hunt? If you can find actively used trails usually between bedding and feeding grounds it can be productive. If I am going to sit in December, I like a good fire. Don't worry about one scaring the elk. A good hill side with trails to watch can be good if elk move through the area. Also sometimes locations where several trails come together can be good. The key Is whatever you are watching needs to be getting active use. Be careful to distinguish between an active trail and one that had a herd pass over it recently, but there is no continuous use. Saddles between ridges can be a good place to watch. If you are going to ambush elk, you need to know they will be coming around somewhat frequently. You don't want to be like Charlie Brown waiting for the Great Pumpkin. I don't need to remind you what his friends think about his waiting in the pumpkin patch all night.
Swede

Postby Steve G » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I will be rifle hunting late season antler-less elk. Unlike Linus Brown, I don't have the patience to ambush hunt. Mostly I sit and glass or hike and glass to cover areas that just aren't visible from any good vantage points.

Thanks again,
Steve
Steve G

Postby Swede » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I forgot it was Linus that wasted all night waiting up for the Great Pumpkin. I watched it when Oly and his sisters were young. That was about 30 years ago. Time slips away and so does my recollection. I hate to admit it but there may be other things that get twisted around in my memory. :lol:
Swede

Postby Steve G » 06 16, 2017 •  [Post 7]

My wife loves all of the Peanuts movies so I still see it EVERY YEAR.
Steve G