Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pass the Time

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pass the Time

Postby Kessler10 » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I usually read Pauls Playbook while Im waiting out the afternoon or taking a break on the hill. Any good reads I should consider while out in the elk woods this year?
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: Pass the Time

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Luke, thanks! You will love the New APP that we have coming out, it will take hours to go through if you go through everything there. Better to examine & become familiar with it now & not wait till you hit the woods! (grin) Lots of elk stuff out there these days, the APP is just another source, it will take things to the next level of learning how to find elk & put them on the ground! It should be out anytime now!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby saddlesore » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 3]

C.J.Box has a series out about a game warden in Wyoming and his investigations. Not about elk hunting ,but very good reads if like mysteries. Start at the beginning of his books as they are progressive.

Another good author that I am currently reading is Michael McGarrity. His first three books to read are: Hard Country, Backlands, and Last Ranch.They deal with a family that ranched in SW New Mexico before the White Sands Missile Range took them over. Pre 1900 on forward.Then he has series about the last member of that family from then forward being the chief of Police of Santa Fe,NM
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 4]

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Season-Joe-Pickett-Novel/dp/0399576606/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497883829&sr=8-2&keywords=open+season

Saddlesore hit it out of the park with his recommendation

This is the first book in a great fun series. Setting : Murders in Elk Camp, Bighorn Mountains , Wyoming. Warning: this series is highly addictive. Just a fun entertaining read. Will not make you a better elk hunter , smarter, or a better person. Just a great diversion passing time in the woods.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Kessler10 wrote:I usually read Pauls Playbook while Im waiting out the afternoon or taking a break on the hill.

I find that comment amusing. No offence, but I have read Paul's book enough now that it is second to the last one I would take out for an afternoon read. BTW: The last book I would take out for something to read would be the tree stand elk book. If you are suffering from insomnia, you can forget everything I just said, as both books could help you a lot.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I actually was just thinking of this topic last night thinking about what a difference several recent reads have done for me. In the middle of "The Runner's Dream" about a high school girl that looses her leg in an accident just hours after setting a league record in the 400. Great book, that will change how you interact with those around you. Next "Ego is the enemy". I heard about this one on a Gritty Bowman podcast, and yes it will make you a better hunter. Hubener vs. Hitler three Mormon teenagers in Hamburg Germany that were one of the earliest and most informative resistance groups in Germany before most Germans knew what Hitler was really doing by distributing leaflets throughout Hamburg. On deck is "It's just a mountain" haven't cracked it yet, but can't wait. Story of the Dad, Dick Hoyt that inspired me to do Ironman after seeing him take his adult son with Cerebral Palsy the entire 140.6 miles.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby chipick » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 7]

We will throw out a locate bugle every now and then and and get bugles back more then I would have expected otherwise find a shaded spot for a nap
chipick