Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Drop camp Etiquette

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Drop camp Etiquette

Postby Deanmac » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I know this is similar to another thread but a little different twist. I saw a few comments on the subject in the past, but want to seek any other advice.

My party of four have booked a drop camp hunt first rifle season in Colorado. This is public land in West Elk Wilderness, I understand it is about 6 miles into the wilderness area at about 10,000 ft.
I have talked to several hunters that used the outfitter in the past and the party that hunted the same camp last 1st rifle season. Everything I heard was very positive, except from the guys that hunted the same camp last year. They told me another hunter group (Two) set up their camp just up the trail from the outfitters drop camp. I understand you pretty much have to walk through the camp to hunt north of the outfitters camp (steep and narrow trail coming into and out of area). The guys last year had scouted out a big draw were the second camp was placed, this was the day before the other hunters camp in and set up camp ( they too had horses and mules). The non outfitter group made it clear they were hunting the draw at their camp, they were there last year (2015) and will be there next year (2017). Now guy I talked with said it was not a big deal they just avoided that area, they said the other hunters took a bull opening day and spent a couple more days in area before moving out.

I sent the outfitter an email about this situation, Asking did they know the hunters and if they would be back in 2017. I thought I could maybe talk to them and try to figure out a good solution for us. I did not receive a reply from outfitter, therefore, I figured it was not anything he had control of. The other three in my party did not seem to be concerned so I had really just forgot about it.

I know it is public land, but the outfitter has had that camp for years and I am sure they would not have set up close to someone else. LOL

We will get to drop camp on Thursday before opening day on Saturday. Just did not want to scout out a stand site and have another hunter come in Friday afternoon and claim it for Saturday. LOL
Deanmac

Re: Drop camp Etiquette

Postby scubohuntr » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Personally, I wouldn't set up that close to another camp. Of course, it may be impossible to avoid everyone. The one time I hunted the West Elk Wilderness, 35 years ago, it was pretty much bumper to bumper horse trailers along the road for miles.
scubohuntr

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 3]

How you communicate with another camp is your business. It is illegal to take control of public land and claim it as your own. They can't say, and neither can you; "we are hunting this area, stay away." The "stay away" part is where the offender crosses the line of being illegal.
How bad do you want to hunt the canyon? Hopefully you can negotiate a reasonable solution to your dilemma. You could tell your outfitter you have a small extra tent you are going to set up where the other camp locates their tent. You could use it as a sleeping tent and be two camps. If the outsiders then try to run you off, inform the Forest Service law enforcement.

What you describe happens to tree stand hunters in densely hunted areas.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Swede read my mind. You are free to camp anywhere you want just like any other hunters. Chances are you'll be able find the spot where they camp. It sounds like you'll be in there before them. Pack a small tent in and set up a spike camp of your own back in that spot. Problem solved.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Deanmac.I wonder if you are booked with Tenderfoot Outfitters.His main camp is about 6 miles back in,but it is right on the wilderness boundary, not in it. First season that entire area has a lot of pressure. I ride past his camp at times,and it is nothing to see 2-3 camps within a1/2 mile of the main camp in all directions.I have heard that Tenderfoot is not doing drop camps anymore so maybe it isn't him.

In 1st elk rifle ,units 53, 54, and5 5 get hit pretty hard hunter wise. If you can find the elk, you stand a good chance of filling your tag. By day 3-4 of 1st season,on the east side of unit 54, most of the elk are then residing on private land along Ohio Creek .

That is big country down there and there is room for everyone ( Except maybe at the trail head parking lots)
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Deanmac » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Saddlesore
Outfitter-- Eagle mountain Jon & Karen Sund

Our camp is East Soap creek it is just SW of west Elk mountain peak and the fatherest east of the camps
The closest camp is about 4 miles west

I have a map of all the 9 camps and they all appear to be spread apart and a long ways from base camp

Thanks guys on the tent idea. I might just have to take one!!!
Deanmac

Postby N2mywake » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Deanmac wrote:Saddlesore
Outfitter-- Eagle mountain Jon & Karen Sund

Our camp is East Soap creek it is just SW of west Elk mountain peak and the fatherest east of the camps
The closest camp is about 4 miles west

I have a map of all the 9 camps and they all appear to be spread apart and a long ways from base camp

Thanks guys on the tent idea. I might just have to take one!!!

I'm hunting with Eagle My this year for the first time. We will be at the West Soap camp the last week of Archery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Lefty » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Deanmac wrote:,...Thanks guys on the tent idea. I might just have to take one!!!

Ive done similar, Two tents at camp,.. extra chairs boots and gear. . Parking a truck or ATV.
But remember it is public land and they could very well place their tent next to yours. My Father in Law became great friends with a fellow when two groups got stuck in deep snow and they camped together . The one fellow had the worlds largest elk shot in the soviet union, for year his pic was used in Cabelas . But a lasting friendship.
Sort of an interesting side note. When I was invited to that elk camp. The unwritten ethical rule. If an ATV, pack or clothing item was visible above a canyon or draw you moved on.

I was hunting with a group in Montana, one fellow from the group got bent out of shape because guide had a camp " jusT 100 yards" from a great location.
I finally got the fellow to shut up and quit his griping when I asked him why he didnt set camp at the location.
Last year a Washington buddy had a big buck glassed out. His group of four were out early set on prime glassing location to spot the big buck.
Unfortunately another group of hunters had the same plan for the buck. Knowing my buddies group was set up they went into the thick of things at first light, bumped the big buck, and my friend ended up killing it.
Some times just move on, sometimes lay claim(spike camp), other go in and hunt.
Now if they have horses and you dont,... be nice. 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Deanmac » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 9]

N2mywake wrote:
Deanmac wrote:]
I'm hunting with Eagle My this year for the first time. We will be at the West Soap camp the last week of Archery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good luck to you, you will be about 7 miles east of our camp
Deanmac