Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting time!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting time!

Postby olympushunt » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Swede and I checked a cam on Saturday. We are learning some new turf and seeing some good sign! Hope we see the bulls come season!

https://youtu.be/52t4DXE_Buw
olympushunt

Re: Scouting time!

Postby Lonnie » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Where at. LOL
Lonnie

Postby olympushunt » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Lonnie wrote:Where at. LOL

I meant to mention that! This is Oregon coastal Rosie territory. We traditionally hunt Rocky Mtn elk but are starting to put out effort into new areas as the area we have hunted on the east side has been getting worse. It is always good to have a plan B, C, D etc. This area has a decent amount of elk but will take a ton of time to learn where they like to hang out and their travel routes. I left a pen and paper behind on that trail so I am hoping they write down their travel plans for this September. I don't want to be late to the party!!!
:lol:
olympushunt

Postby Lonnie » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 4]

What type of elk do they have.
Lonnie

Postby olympushunt » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Lonnie wrote:What type of elk do they have.

Roosevelt Elk. Is that what you are asking? At the risk of sounding like a complete smart arss I was going to say the type that are entirely made up of delicious meat.
olympushunt

Postby Lonnie » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I did not know if that was close enough to hunt the Tule Elk being that close to the coast. Before I get to old I'm going to try to hunt them one of these years. Does Oregon have Tule or just California do you know.
Lonnie

Postby olympushunt » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Ya, a true Roosie bull is a bucket list thing for me. That is why I am putting more time in scouting for them. Oregon only has Roosevelt and Rocky Mtn elk. Good question though Lonnie. I'm not sure how far north on the coast of California the Tule elk range. I know there are some just north of the bay area but to what extent they go north I don't know. Someone else on here might be able to chime in on that.
I've past on cows in the Cascade range but some argue that they are a Rosie/Rocky mix. I would love to down a true Roosevelt. Big big bodies and DARK chocolate antlers.
olympushunt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Sidebar: I believe that in Washington, Roosevelt Elk, for the purpose of B&C and P&Y eligibility, are only considered eligible (pure) if they're on the west side of I5; this is due to the cross breeding of Rocky Mountain elk with Roosey's on the east side of the big road. Is it the same in Oregon?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby stringunner » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Opened up the paper today to find out that that there will be rainbow gathering of people 10-30,000 estimated, though I doubt that many will show, in the murders creek unit and then the solar E. passing through prime parts of eastern Oregon hunting as well. I think your plan to look at different locations is a good year to do so....

What kind of impact on the elk herds in those areas do you think 30,000 in July and another 100,000 plus in August will have on the hunting the end of August? :-)
stringunner

Postby Swede » 06 19, 2017 •  [Post 10]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Sidebar: I believe that in Washington, Roosevelt Elk, for the purpose of B&C and P&Y eligibility, are only considered eligible (pure) if they're on the west side of I5; this is due to the cross breeding of Rocky Mountain elk with Roosey's on the east side of the big road. Is it the same in Oregon?

Interstate 5 is pretty much the boundary in Oregon. If you think you have a record book animal, you would do well if you were east of I5 to check and be sure. That way you know how far to drag your bull or buck to be safe. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics