Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Buggy about Bugs

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Buggy about Bugs

Postby Rangerz » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Went out scouting first week of June. Bugs were Badddddddddddddddd!

I figured they would be this year with all of the moisture, but dang!

Let's hear your tips for dealing with our little flying friends.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Re: Buggy about Bugs

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 2]

In WA state, they can be brutal... I mean brutal. Skeetos and the tiny black "no see um" gnats (whom will truly, eat the meat off your bones), in concentrated swarms can ruin a hunt. In those really bad years in this state, you have no choice but to wear long sleeve shirts (that are thick enough the skeetos can't poke through), head net, even gloves to keep from running away from a setup screaming (really not enjoyable wearing all that gear when it's hot out). I also have no issues with using highly concentrated bug juice to keep them off me in these types of bad years; just gotta double down on working the wind as always. I haven't had nearly the problem with biting insects in MT or ID for whatever reason.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 3]

It is too late to do anything more than RJ has already mentioned. The problem is your own fault and was preventable with a little advance planning. You could have put away a couple pints of your own blood for evening replenishing what you lose during the day out scouting. Lots of winter snow and a late Spring have sure made mosquitos miserable this year in many areas. Thankfully the little critters should be gone by hunting season. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Rangerz » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Will probably have to load up on bug spray and thermacell refills.

All of the animals I saw looked like they were doing a dance trying to keep the bugs off. One Spike Elk was having a good ole time in a pond trying to dodge the skeeters.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Beendare » 06 20, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Mosquitos love me for some reason. Alaska is some of the worst. We were dropped in a swamp hunting Caribou DIY on the AK peninsula the Mulchatna herd [back when it WAS a herd] and there were clouds of mosquitos that followed me around. Only 1/2 a cloud on my buddy...."I'm from Wisconsin, thats why" he said.

I started treating my clothes beforehand spraying with premethrin. You can hold out your arms and see skeeters just falling off of you dead- its cool. Not one bite during a week in BC wearing my treated clothes.

I also tried a new cream called Picaridin instead of deet. It works....I like it better than deet now.

Thermacell works if its not windy and you aren't moving.....otherwise its worthless.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby Lonnie » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 6]

There not bad here in Idaho yet. Last year was bad. We had a hard winter this last winter so I think it helped.
Lonnie

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Beendare wrote:Mosquitos love me for some reason. Alaska is some of the worst. We were dropped in a swamp hunting Caribou DIY on the AK peninsula the Mulchatna herd [back when it WAS a herd] and there were clouds of mosquitos that followed me around. Only 1/2 a cloud on my buddy...."I'm from Wisconsin, thats why" he said.

I started treating my clothes beforehand spraying with premethrin. You can hold out your arms and see skeeters just falling off of you dead- its cool. Not one bite during a week in BC wearing my treated clothes.

I also tried a new cream called Picaridin instead of deet. It works....I like it better than deet now.

Thermacell works if its not windy and you aren't moving.....otherwise its worthless.

I have a very similar problem. Ill be getting bug bites and swelling up with quarter size marks on my body before others know the bugs are out. I should have taken a picture of my forehead the last time I was out shooting bow. I honestly wouldn't enjoy a hunt on the west coast or Alaska from what others have said about the bugs. I simply couldn't do it and wouldn't enjoy myself.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere