Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mistakes we've learned from

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mistakes we've learned from

Postby Lonnie » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Ok I want you guys to let go of your pride and throw out some mistakes you have made in the past hunting years. Also post what you did to correct and make your next hunt better.

Me in my past I looked at a peice of mountain and thought it would be good to hunt. I would tromp around on that big hill all day and see no elk. My mind said they were there so I stayed on that same spot and hunted when there were no elk.

Now if I don't see elk I will move a whole dranage over. If you don't see or hear elk you have to move your area to another hill. Time in the field is valable. Keep moving areas until you find elk.
Lonnie

Re: Mistakes we've learned from

Postby twinkieman » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I've made too many mistakes to even think about listing them all, I also learn as much or more from mistakes, as I do from successes.

Calling from a place where an elk can see there is no elk, and expecting him to come all the way in, was one I made in the earlier days.

Trying to call an elk from too far away, yeah we all have had those that seem to want to commit suicide, and come from a loooong ways out, that's the exception though, rather than the rule. Now I get as close as I possibly can.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Lonnie there are two types of elk hunters. There are those that will admit to making mistakes and those that won't for whatever reason. I suspect I have made every mistake common to elk hunting. Here are a few:

Calling from in the open. I thought there are no elk nearby. ooops!
Moving too soon after calling. ooops!
Not staying in cover when moving. ooops!
Not paying attention when moving around and dropping my guard. ooops!
Poor setups were common for years.
I have made the wrong calls too many times.

Not getting my bow up in the tree quick enough and getting busted. That one really hurt.
Moving to get a shot, thinking I could not be seen because I was up 25 feet in a tree. The elk could have caught a hint of my scent.
Returning a bull's bugle I heard from my tree stand. Big ooops! I was a slow learner on this. It took a few ooops to learn better.
Not going up high enough above the ground to place my stand. I learned about this quicker.

Ok, before I sound like a complete idiot, I will let someone else chime in.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Where to start, there have been so many and I will make more and more every year.

First one I ever made on my first day of archery hunting (19 years ago) as a junior in high school. The hunt opened on a Saturday and I headed to the hills solo for my first ever archery hunt that I had dreamt of all year. I spent the morning wandering around and calling here and there. No bugles, no elk. Around 10:30 am I figured the morning hunt was over and I sat down on a pile of wood (old logging area) to have a snack before heading back to the pickup to go to another area for evening. I decided no one was around and so I started playing with my calls, some bugles, some cow calls, I played for about ten minutes. Jumped up to head for the pickup and after about 20 steps I catch movement to my right. A bull at about 25 yards whirls and heads crashing into the timber! :o :shock: :shock: ... I learned on my first day that when you call set up and wait. Make sure you are in a good spot and that bulls will come in silent. I also learned that that area that everyone drove right by held lots of elk.
Elkhunttoo

Postby saddlesore » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 5]

If it's been done wrong, I have done it.

Moving too fast is one that took me a LONG time to fix
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby stealthycat » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 6]

don't call, wait 3 minutes and leave. Wait longer
don't call without having an arrow nocked - a bull can run in fast
don't expect call bulls to bugle and come in - they come in silent (wait longer)
don't put your pack down thinking you'll come back for it later (met a guy who forgot where his was ... including the Swarovski's in it)
don't put your pack down on a steep hill - they can roll a long ways
don't forget to drink and eat ... sounds silly, but it happens
don't wear new boots (not me, a buddy of mine ... man his feet were blistered bad)
stealthycat

Postby Lefty » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Be ready to shoot before you call. So I wonder how often I have been soo close to elk and never saw them.
Dont expect elk to come into you from one specific direction

Be able to shoot any direction from you location :oops:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 8]

1) Never, ever, ever forget about the wind and/or thermals. Be mindful constantly on this single topic. It's easy to forget about in the heat of the moment but will surely bust you 100% of the time if overlooked. And then it will still betray you at be worst possible time.

2) never set up behind cover... get in front or behind, even out in he open is better than being behind something because I promise that bull will always find a way to come straight in from the worst possible angle relative to what's in front of you.

3) if you can see the bull's eyeball he can see you. Try and draw when he's behind cover or looking away. This is a general rule and sometimes you can't help it (e.g. Primitive archery gear). If he does bolt, I'll throw a hard grunt at him or an aggressive cow call from a mouth call, most times they'll give you a second chance if your ready and they've not got your wind yet.

4) Elk always seem to come in from where you least expect it. I've seen them circle downwind more often than not. Be ready to improvise and once your set up be mindful of your movements... he may already be watching you trying to figure out what you are!

5) and the obvious... and this seems to be a cliche anymore, but... never pass up a bull on the first day that you'd be happy with on the last! Set your priorities or goal before you start the hunt. I've done it and gone home empty handed. I've killed some pretty decent bulls, and one day I'd love to kill a 350", but I like to eat elk meat more than look at big antlers, so I've morfed into a first legal bull hunter as I've aged... I know, which means I might never kill that 350"'er.
1Elkhunter

Postby Old school » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Thinking you are in good enough shape.

waiting on a bull that is below you bugling and answering your calls making his way up towards you. Big fat dummy - get busting it downhill and get on his same elevation out in front of him. By the time I thought of that, he was less than 50 yards directly below me and since it was early morning with downward thermals - game over. If I would have moved down and over when he first responded to my bugle, I believe I would've killed that bull.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Lonnie » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Ya putting elk pee on your clothes. I did this one year. I bet the mountain lions thought I smelled pretty good. I didn't smell one elk just my self.

Now I just use non scent soaps. And the funny thing is. Now when I smell elk, it really is elk.
Lonnie

Postby Swede » 06 24, 2017 •  [Post 11]

On the Complete Elk Hunter thread, Oly brought up an almost forgotten incident. He had a comment about a time I messed up years ago. You would think he could find something more recent as that was in the mid 1990s. I have certainly made plenty more mistakes since then. Anyway here is what happened.
Oly had told me we need to keep shrink tubing on the prongs of our TM Hunter rests. He mentioned it to me several times. We were shooting aluminum arrows, and they squeaked some when we drew our bows if we had no shrink tubing on the prongs. My shrink tubing occasionally fell off one prong or the other. If one tube fell off I needed to replace it and re-sight the bow or take the other off and re-sight the bow once and for all. We all know which of those two options was easier. I argued that the shrink tubing was not really necessary. After all I had killed a couple of elk with no problem with the little squeak. They were not spooked by the sound. Well, a couple of dead head elk does not tell a hunter the whole story. (There is something in that part of the lesson for anyone to consider that has killed only a couple of elk.) Some are brain dead. Others are like they are spring loaded, just waiting for the slightest thing to trigger their explosion. As you have figured by now, my nest encounter with elk was with one of those spring loaded critters.
It was lesson learned. Of coarse Oly was gracious and understood my pain. He only mentioned, "I told you so" a few times. Still today I have a felt barrier between my rest and arrow. I try hard to keep my bow very quiet when it is being drawn. There are just not enough brain dead elk.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 06 24, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Wonder what the American Indian did as they only had their hand as an arrow rest. :lol:
saddlesore

Postby Roosiebull » 06 24, 2017 •  [Post 13]

tough to narrow it down enough to put it in text :D

I did a huge amount wrong in the beginning (still do more often than i'd like to admit) I had nobody to teach me, no mentors, first outdoorsman in my family as far back as I know about.....I started from scratch.

I would say the 2 biggest mistakes I made frequently in the early years, that when I corrected it, I started killing elk...

first was my strategy, I would walk around and find tracks, and track the elk until I bumped them, then keep tracking them....this was a no win game, it's not really a plan or strategy...it's an activity.

second was hunting with people who did the same thing, and wouldn't quit doing it....once I changed my tactics, and diversified, and started hunting solo, I started finding success. I don't see as many elk as I use to, but I turn a lot more encounters into meat packing.

I still follow tracks, and have gotten good at not bumping them, I can read situations much better now....I can tell if they should still be on their feet, or if likely bedded (that is important to know if you are sneaking in on them) by location and time of day.

instead of running them down, I slowed down and started learning about elk, and what they do, and areas they use, and what they use them for. now I am better equipped to sneak up on them in the thick jungle I hunt, or have a pretty good plan for an ambush...those are my most common tactics. I think it's custom tailored for solo calling too, and plan on focusing on that more in the future...but I do like sneaking in on them.
Roosiebull

Postby Lonnie » 06 25, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Ok here is one. In my past when scouting I was always looking for the bulls. I would find out where they would spend their summers. Come hunting season I would go to where I seen those summer bulls hanging out and they were not there. So I tromped around the woods looking for them.

Now I only look for the cows. I want to know where they are feeding and beding. The bulls that I was looking for and found were not in their summer grounds because they moved down to the cows.

Yes I guess you could say that some bulls don't go down to gather cows. Because they already have a pecing order long before the cows get gethered. But now I focus my time on the cows.

Is this what you guys are doing. Thanks
Lonnie

Postby Roosiebull » 06 25, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Lonnie wrote:Ok here is one. In my past when scouting I was always looking for the bulls. I would find out where they would spend their summers. Come hunting season I would go to where I seen those summer bulls hanging out and they were not there. So I tromped around the woods looking for them.

Now I only look for the cows. I want to know where they are feeding and beding. The bulls that I was looking for and found were not in their summer grounds because they moved down to the cows.

Yes I guess you could say that some bulls don't go down to gather cows. Because they already have a pecing order long before the cows get gethered. But now I focus my time on the cows.

Is this what you guys are doing. Thanks

very good point! very often that is very much true. a few years ago I was keeping tabs on a very nice roosie, he was all by himself, and in the same area every day, very easy to find, I was very excited, no extra eyes, and too far away for anyone to find him.

2 days before the season I could not find him, day before couldn't find him....uh oh

I hunted the first 2 days and could not locate him, but did find a nice 6x6 on sunday afternoon, it was south wind and rain, so I backed out. Monday I dropped in there, about 2 miles from where I parked is where they were, and the second mile was cross country through reprod. I got in there a little after daylight, treading lightly to not bump them. I location bugled and get a more aggressive response than I expected, and close!

I snuck down the ridge I was on, and got within about 50 yds of the bull, and it was the guy I was looking for :shock: he kicked the smaller bull out, and it was only day 3 of the season. I worked on getting close for the next 2 hours, they were moving through the reprod, and I finally got everything right....but 3 cows came straight at me, and busted me at about 3 yds, after the initial chaos I drew, knowing the bull was close, he stepped out at about 20 yds, looking at me, no vitals in sight and he bolted...stopped around 40, I let draw down to range him, he busted again as I drew the second time...ugh!

a kid I know (who impresses me) ended up finding him 2 days later in the evening, improvised by sleeping in the woods that night with nothing set up for spending the night, and killed him first thing the next morning....I lost track of the bull after they mixed in with a couple other small groups of elk, and circled back to where I originally found him. though I felt like I had unfinished with that bull, I was VERY happy for Tony, and he absolutely deserved that bull, he ended up being 288" net, very nice roosie.

that bull went 5.2 miles as the crow flies in 2 days, from where he summered to where his cows were...not pressured at all, on a whim. I learned a lot from that whole situation. opening day, they may not be anywhere close to where they have been the past month.
Roosiebull

Postby Tigger » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I have waffled back and forth on whether this was a mistake, a learning experience, or a success.

My buddy and I hear a bull partway down the mountainside. No drainages, just mountainside. We drop down and get close and give a few soft cow calls. He fires up fairly well and we expect him to come into our setup. Nothing. Nothing. Then he bugles further away. So we close the distance and I cow call and the same thing happens. So the next time we get close I bugle. Same thing happens. I could stop him, I could even get him to come back a little. But I couldn't get him to come in despite 6-8 setups. However, my buddy did get him to within 40 yards twice but a branch was in the way both times. So take away that branch and we would have been high fiving thus maybe it was a success. Not 100% sure what I learned from it, other than if it happens again, the shooter has to leave the caller in the dust and make something happen while the caller keeps him vocal.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Tigger, I suspect the bull thought you were a bull with cows. You did not say, but I suspect it was mid to late September and he was a smaller rag-horn or satellite bull and wanted no part of you. After getting thrashed by a herd bull already that year, he was cautious. He was curious, but reluctant to come to your calls. Great experience since you learned something.
Swede

Postby Lonnie » 07 11, 2017 •  [Post 18]

So I went to the Indian Head bow range tonight. My 30 yard pin is now low. Which makes me want to shot my 40, 50, and 60 now. From my point of view. Confidence in your shooting is a must. So now I better fix this problem before hunting season which is about a month and a half. So this is a mistake I have learned from and corrected. It is never to early to go and shoot your bow. A guy I work with is going bow hunting and waites until two weeks before season to shoot. I think this just doesn't add up. What do you guys think. And while standing in line yesterday to get my tags. I over heard a fellow talking about how he shot at five different bulls last year and missed all. I was laughing in my head and thinking he should have practiced.
Lonnie

Postby Swede » 07 11, 2017 •  [Post 19]

There are a lot of things to practice. I agree that starting early is the best way. I too know of hunters that don't practice until right before the season opens. Shooting often not only helps you aim, but strengthens your muscles so you are steady and it improves your form.
Something many of us have gotten lazy about in this day of range finders is estimating distance in the field. Do you always have the time to get your range finder out when a bull appears in front of you? There are cases when we need to be able to make good range estimates in a hurry.
Can you shoot well with a rain coat on, or whatever you are wearing when hunting? Can you shoot down or uphill as well as you can on the level, and what about in the wind. Practice and more practice.
Swede

Postby msd1228 » 07 12, 2017 •  [Post 20]

My biggest mistake during the early years (which I made again, and again, and again, and again............and again) was not properly picking set-up spots. I called one hell of a lot of elk to within 30 yards, but rarely did I ever get a shot at one because I wasn't setting myself up properly. Just because an area looks like a great calling spot doesn't actually make it so. You need to position yourself in such a manner that the elk has to come into a shooting lane in order to visually locate your calling position. Countless times I found myself in a situation where I could see the elk within bow range, but it was impossible to get an arrow into where it was standing due to various obstructions. These obstructions were not sufficient to prevent the elk from getting a visual on me (as I was also able to get a visual on him), but they were more than enough to prevent an arrow from slipping through. Look for natural barriers to entry into your calling sets and use them to your advantage to funnel elk into shooting lanes.
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby Lonnie » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 21]

How about this one. I hunted a unit in Idaho. There was moo cows every where. I keep hearing the sounds of horns brushing dry limbs with the moo cows so I never thought anything about it. Come to find out ,it was a bull hanging out with moo cows. Lol. My father in law has always told me when you see moo cows that there is no elk. Boy was he wrong. So now I check the moo cows. I guess even elk get lonely. The only thing I could figure was the bull was using the moo cows as extra eyes.
Lonnie

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 08 09, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I guess that bull wasn't prejudiced! Lol
Wow this thread is awesome, I hope I can remember enough to help me in the bighorns
Scorpyd shooter

Postby cohunter » 08 10, 2017 •  [Post 23]

Here's one from last season in another post. It was a 'rookie mistake' if there ever was one, but live and learn! :oops: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8004
cohunter

Postby Lonnie » 08 20, 2017 •  [Post 24]

So I was washing my hunting clothes tonight in non sent soap. I had two loads of camos. I put the first load in the laundry basket. When I went back to put the second in the laundry basket. I found my son's dirty laundry in my clean non sent clothes. Hum. So now I'm washing the first load again. So note to self. When teaching kids to do laundry make a dirty basket so they don't put smelly socks back in your clean camos. Lol
Lonnie