Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Mexico elk packer

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Mexico elk packer

Postby Deadhead5x5 » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hi,

I was very fortunate to draw a New Mexico late archery elk tag for unit 16a as a non resident this year. My hunting partner and I are looking forward to a DIY hunt in the gila national forest. We would like to hunt a few miles from the roads and in the event we get an elk down a few miles in I'd like to be able to utilize a packer to get the meat out and into cooling as soon as possible. My question is, does anyone here know of any packers I could hire to pack my meat out? So far I've had no success finding an outfitter willing to take this on. Any contacts or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Shaun
Deadhead5x5

Re: New Mexico elk packer

Postby saddlesore » 06 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Very few packers will do this. If they are busy and a good outfit, most of their horses and staff are busy day to day with their clients and you don't want a general camp hand to pack your elk out.. The other less successful outfitters, don't want to mess with the one day deal. I imagine they think that if you need their help,you should have signed on with them.It's kinda like buying parts for your truck and the finding out it is more of a job putting them in than you can handle,so you call a repair shop and ask them to finish the job.

I am in Colorado and last years rate was $400 to pack out an elk and you had to get the elk to where the packer could get the horses.

There is the logistics to it also. Say you get an elk down and call the packer to come get your elk and he says he can't as he is busy but can do it the day after next,. Will your meat last that long not spoiling.So if you find one ask him if he guarantees to come and pack out your elk today.Or maybe,you have to hike out to get cell service. If you can find service, you call the outfitter and you get voice mail.Do you wait around until you talk to him, or leave a message and HOPE he gets it and comes along.There are lot of different scenarios where you could end up with soured meat, in early archery season
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Have you tried the regional office of NM G&F in that area.

Check this page, top right ,NM licensed outfitters
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting ... formation/

Also get a copy of Bugle Magazine of RMEF. THey list NM outfitters in the back of it that have contributed hunts for RMEF. Probably more reputable ones there.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Deadhead5x5 » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Saddlesore,

Thanks for the advice. I definitely agree that I'll have to find a packers that can guarantee there service before I venture to far from the roads and beyond my comfort zone with packing out an elk myself. I'll defiantly check out the link you provided.
Shaun
Deadhead5x5

Postby Indian Summer » 06 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Listen to Saddlesore! I outfitted for 12 years and I know hundreds of outfitters. Depend on nobody for such an important and time sensitive thing. You'd be better off looking at horse lease companies even if you pay full price and only need it one day.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro