Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

It's time for scouting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

It's time for scouting

Postby Lonnie » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So when you guys are out scouting. What are you looking for.

I look for lots of tracks usually. I went scouting with a new hunting partner a couple of weeks ago. Man can I say I learned a lot. And yes I will give up the rest of what I learned but for now this is the starter.

So let's here what you guys are looking for to find those elk.
Lonnie

Re: It's time for scouting

Postby 2Rivers » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I'm looking for good elevation, open parks or meadows near dark timber, and a water source nearby.
The absence of drivable roads is a pulse too.
2Rivers

Postby LarryBud » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 3]

How far from the roads. Let's say its public land in Northern Colorado, mid September.

Also, you think saddles worth messing with? Thought is other hunters may push them through?
LarryBud

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Anywhere I think elk will push into when they have pressure from hunters that people will overlook.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lonnie » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Larrybud. If you have good horses and mules that is great. I am an old mule packer. I will tell you it takes a lot of work to feed and take care of animals. Before I thought about breaking the horse's out I would look for ground that I could do on foot. You can Google most of this. Look for green Meadows, and watering holes. I look for old elk trails and you can sometimes spot old wallows from Goole. I would look for elk that is reachable from foot before I drag the stock out. I believe the less time I have taken care of camp the more Time I have in the field.
Lonnie

Postby RAMMONT » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Where elk are now may not be where they will be when hunting season comes around. Prior to hunting season, I try to find a ridge that elk are on. If I find a ridge that shows sign of elk then I start to look for running water. Once I find running water I look for small open grass parks among heavy timber within a mile or so of the water. I try to get familiar with the locations of these features on all sides of the ridge and during the hunting season, I'll concentrate on the side that has the most current elk sign. Most often that will be the side that has good cover, minimum human traffic, food, and running water.
RAMMONT

Postby saddlesore » 07 13, 2017 •  [Post 7]

If I were scouting I would be looking at terrain etc, and get to know the country.Whether there are elk there in mid summer doesn't' make a hoot of difference because if they are there now, they won't be in hunting season and if they are not there,they probably will be in hunting season.
I think Larrybud was referring to saddles on ridges,not horses or mules. However,I use mules and if you know how,they are not much trouble. If I didn't have them, I couldn't even hunt, and they are sure enough better company than a lot of hunting partners I have encountered
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Grousewit » 07 14, 2017 •  [Post 8]

How true!
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby RAMMONT » 07 14, 2017 •  [Post 9]

In my area, saddles are a useful feature but they aren't used a lot, as you pointed out they are used mostly as an escape route or simply as a quick way to move from one side of a ridge to another, which means that if they are used then the elk will only be in that spot for a couple of minutes at most. On the other hand, if you find a small grassy park among heavy blowdowns close to a saddle then I'd recommend sitting on the grass because the elk will bed in the trees around there during the day and use the saddle to escape if a hunter shows up. That saddle will become even more important if it leads to water on the other side.

In my hunting area (heavy timber with lots of blowdowns), the most useful terrain feature is a draw or a drainage, elk like to use them a lot, especially if there is moving water in them. Another thing I've noticed in my area is that elk like to use horizontal trails along a ridge to move longer distances but vertical trails are usually for specific needs over a short distance. For example, an elk might use a horizontal trail to move along a ridge to a north facing point when it's hot but when they get to the point they might change direction along a vertical trail to get to grass on the top.
RAMMONT

Postby Lonnie » 07 14, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Rammont. I agree that the saddle are where elk will use as travel route's. But I don't look at that so much. I look for northern slopes where there's feed and water. The sun comes up in the east and setting in the west. Any temp above 85 is hot for a elk. So they will be looking for shady cool spots with water. So if you see a saddle that is a eastern slope it might be to hot to even worry about checking out. If there is good tember on a southern slope I will also consider it a spot to watch.
Lonnie

Postby RAMMONT » 07 14, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Lonnie wrote:Rammont. I agree that the saddle are where elk will use as travel route's. But I don't look at that so much. I look for northern slopes where there's feed and water. The sun comes up in the east and setting in the west. Any temp above 85 is hot for a elk. So they will be looking for shady cool spots with water. So if you see a saddle that is a eastern slope it might be to hot to even worry about checking out. If there is good tember on a southern slope I will also consider it a spot to watch.

Actually I was trying to say that saddles aren't a priority for me, like you I look at northern slopes in hot temperatures and, regardless of the temperature, I'll always look at drainages with water and small grassy benches surrounded by heavy timber.
RAMMONT

Postby saddlesore » 07 15, 2017 •  [Post 12]

About the only good thing about hunting a saddle is that they are usually escape routes used by elk when pushed by other hunters.
I wouldn't sit on a saddle about as I would not sit on a wallow after the usual time period that they are in use.

Saddles are about like the " Get out of Dodge route for elk.

IMO,the best scouting is done during the season. Scouting in summer only lets you get familiar with the land,not the elk there. Same thing for scouting a few days before the season. Go tramping around in prime elk habitat before you can shoot one, spreads your scent around. Any elk you spook or jump will most likely not be there opening day then.

I don't know how many times a few days before season guys dropped by my camp and tell me about all the elk they saw.Then two days after opener,they are complaining all the elk must have moved out. DUH!!!! .I wonder why.

When I get to a hunting area, usually Wed. before opening day,I spend a few days riding the trails, checking out where other camps are, and getting familiar with the area. I NEVER go into the timber or where I think elk might be living. If I go in the summer,it is usually to check conditions of access roads and look for camp spots
saddlesore

Postby Lonnie » 07 15, 2017 •  [Post 13]

For those of us that used to look for trees with rub marked. I think we have all found on opening day those bulls that made those rubs we're not there.

So I have made this mistake of going to where those bulls made there rubs and spent many days looking for those bulls. Ya I didn't shoot anything.

Now I look for where the cows are. Those bulls that made those rubs have moved down to gather cows. They might make it back to where they have their rubs. But from what I have learned is to find cows. In scouting time find water, feed, and shady northern slopes. Don't look at the top of the mountain but half way to three quarters way up. That's were the cows will be.
Lonnie

Postby stealthycat » 07 17, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I peeked into unit 76 this past week ... maybe 11,500' area here
Attachments
DSCN8735.JPG
DSCN8735.JPG (270.81 KiB) Viewed 12399 times
stealthycat

Postby Lonnie » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 15]

stealthycat nice picture. Where did you say you took that picture. GPS location please. lol
Lonnie

Postby stealthycat » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 16]

not far from Wolf Creek pass - in 76

won't help you come hunting season , horse trail runs right in there and I imagine outfitters use it well !
stealthycat

Postby Lefty » 07 18, 2017 •  [Post 17]

stealthycat wrote:I peeked into unit 76 this past week ... maybe 11,500' area here

Ahh you beat me to the post

I was going to say there isnt any 11,500 in Idaho unit 76
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lonnie » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 18]

I here the Huckleberry's are getting ripe for picking. Any one seeing that to when out scouting. That's always a good reason to get the kids and wife to go Elk scouting when you can promise them a patch of huckleberry's.
Lonnie

Postby Grousewit » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Huckleberry custard pie just came out of oven!!!
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Grousewit wrote:Huckleberry custard pie just came out of oven!!!

Did you bring enough for everybody mister :evil:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Lonnie wrote:I here the Huckleberry's are getting ripe for picking. Any one seeing that to when out scouting. That's always a good reason to get the kids and wife to go Elk scouting when you can promise them a patch of huckleberry's.

I just got back from higher up near Alta Wyoming. Saw plenty of berry bushes, not a single berry o the one I checked
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lonnie » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I'm not a computer nerd. It takes me a minute to figure out a computer. This year I have used Google Earth as a pre scouting tool. Wow. I think it is a good tool for pre scouting. I have also learned to have multiple plans on different areas. Don't confine yourself to one big hill. Find multiple areas in your hunting unit. This can all be done on Google. Once you have a plan, go put the boots on the ground and see if your plan will work. By the way Google's elevation sucks. You will find that when you put the boots on the ground that the hill you was looking at is much bigger. Lol
Lonnie

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 23]

Heading out this weekend for new country. Learning the lay of the land. Ive seen it enough on maps and google earth (way too much). While learning trails and easier access ill notice scat and rubs. It will at least show me that elk frequent the area. Morning and evening will be spent looking for groups of cows. Find groups of cows and youll find bulls with them or near by come September. Also going to be making a cache of fire wood. I have a new tent system this year and adding a stove is going to be AWESOME when the weather turns. Because it will. Having that part setup and a nice spot to camp will be nice. Planning on having two areas designated for camp and that doesnt count for road side camping. Thats usually dictated when other hunters show up. Having different access points and parking spots is also key for me. I pay attention to road maps and road closures. When they occur and what vehicles are allowed on them. You can bet the nicer trail heads and ends of roads will have more people than a small turn off point with no trail.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Kentrek » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 24]

Big rubs is the main thing I want to see and I wana see a cluster of them
Kentrek

Postby Charina » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Lonnie wrote:By the way Google's elevation sucks. You will find that when you put the boots on the ground that the hill you was looking at is much bigger. Lol

Lonnie, in GE go to Tools -> Options, and in the open dialog box, just below center is a box labeled "Terrain". The first item is "Elevation Exaggeration". Bump that number up. I put it to 1.5 (perhaps a little exaggerated from reality), and it will give you a better 3d view of how the terrain actually looks.
Charina

Postby saddlesore » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 26]

Same place that I left them last year

saddlesore