Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Questions about hunting the Gila

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Questions about hunting the Gila

Postby LostonPurpose » 07 24, 2017 •  [Post 1]

This year I drew a mid October tag for NM unit 21A. This is only my second elk hunt in NM. I got skunked last year in Unit 51. I'm thinking of hunting the upper portions of the Aldo Leopold Wilderness, just east of the unit border. Any thoughts on this area?

Also, my wife is not anti-hunting but is not really willing for me to butcher game on her dining room table. Can anyone recommend a good game processor between Rio Rancho and T or C? What kind of pricing am I looking at to get a bull processed?

Thanks!
LostonPurpose

Re: Questions about hunting the Gila

Postby Grousewit » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 2]

FYI--In Meeker ,CO the avg price is $275 cut, wrapped, and froze in 1# packs.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Game Planner Maps » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Game Planner Maps makes a lot of maps for New Mexico tag holders. Be sure to use check out our Custom Maps. The Game Planner Free Map Viewer is really helpful for map scouting your unit. Its free to register and only requires a valid email. Good luck!

Ed
The Ultimate Map Resource for the DIY Public Land Hunter
www.GAMEPLANNERMAPS.com
Whats Your Game Plan?
Game Planner Maps
Game Planner Maps

Postby Wapiti7 » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 4]

If you're coming out through VLA and going through Magdalena, I'd use Heads n Tails Taxidermy (and meat cutter). If not (doesn't sound like you are), I'd use Green Valley Meats in Albuquerque. $275 sounds about right.
Wapiti7

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hix

Postby TLowell02 » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

LostonPurpose wrote:This year I drew a mid October tag for NM unit 21A. This is only my second elk hunt in NM. I got skunked last year in Unit 51. I'm thinking of hunting the upper portions of the Aldo Leopold Wilderness, just east of the unit border. Any thoughts on this area?

Also, my wife is not anti-hunting but is not really willing for me to butcher game on her dining room table. Can anyone recommend a good game processor between Rio Rancho and T or C? What kind of pricing am I looking at to get a bull processed?

Thanks!

Sounds like you need to retrain your wife :lol:
TLowell02

Postby LostonPurpose » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 6]

TLowell02 wrote:
Sounds like you need to retrain your wife :lol:

I think you ought to come on down to NM and show me how that's done. I'd really like to see this. I'll even bring the popcorn!
LostonPurpose

Postby LostonPurpose » 07 29, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Wapiti7 wrote:If you're coming out through VLA and going through Magdalena, I'd use Heads n Tails Taxidermy (and meat cutter). If not (doesn't sound like you are), I'd use Green Valley Meats in Albuquerque. $275 sounds about right.

Wow that's a little more than I was expecting but thanks for the recommend. I will be heading straight up 25 from T or C so I'll check out Green Valley.
LostonPurpose