Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bull Calling Cows Bugle

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bull Calling Cows Bugle

Postby CurlyTail » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Check out this you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0GLwTya44c

Try to ignore the "think like a mammal" distractions, but I feel that this strategy has merit, and is going to get tried, by me, this September. Mr. Turner is an excellent caller and I like strategies that are simple and easy to execute. Plus - this technique targets Herd Bulls, which I am quite interested in targeting. I also think I detect some Elknut influence in his thinking.

I would be interested in member comments/thoughts
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Re: Bull Calling Cows Bugle

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Yes! This is a great bull sound to make when in close to a herd bull. Joel really breaks down the purpose and effectiveness of this call it very well. This same call is offered/explained in the Elknut philosophy/teachings. Good stuff Curly, thanks for posting this! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 3]

In real life I stayed away from the hussie in the bushes!!
Good stuff!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Losefreeze » 07 25, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Paul,

I would love to get your take on this. What he is calling the "bull calling cows bugle" would that be what you describe as a round-up bugle in the app/playbook. The videos he puts out are solid and I like how he presents them in an actual situation with response.

thx,
LF
Losefreeze

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 26, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Jim, yes Joel had talked with me a while back about this sound & I had mentioned it's use to him, he said he wanted to use it in his teaching & asked if I minded, of course I said go for it, if it helps others then that's good in my book!

Here's a short explanation as found on the APP as well as in the ElkNut 5 DVD. Joel is using a Lip Bawl Bugle in his clip, it is a more urgent tone a bull will use when he wants action NOW from a cow or cows! The APP shares much more on this sound as does the DVD.

The sound Joel called Search Bugle was a Pant or Moan, this shows excitement on the bulls part & gives a direction when in close quarters letting the cow know where he was so she would come to him. There's much more on the APP about "When A Bull Pants"

ElkNut/Paul

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Lip Bawl Bugle is a signature sound giving each bull a recognizable identity to his harem and to other cows. Bull elk use Lip Bawls when they have cows in estrus they are keeping close and defending. Noting the length and intensity of a Lip Bawl will dictate the message being sent.

For instance a herd bull feeling a threat to his harem would use a loud intense Lip Bawl Bugle to urgently gather his cows close for departure while at the same time warning another bull to stay back or regret it.

In another instance a Lip Bawl Bugle can be directed towards a single or multiple cows (such as a hunter imitating a small group of cows). The bull would be compelling these cows to him with a lower volume lip bawl.

Generally it’s heard when a bull has attempted to call his cows to him using other sounds with no luck. The lip bawl is a firm insistent bugle requiring quick action from his cows.
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby stealthycat » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 6]

love that video

wish i could bugle/scream raspy and gutterly like that
stealthycat