Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk camp technology

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk camp technology

Postby Lefty » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

RJ , my signal is too weak for the modpanal to work, m just ready to pack into set some trail cams.
Just think of how much simpler elk camp was 30 years ago, no gps, cell phone, I mean mobile devise hunt maps, my CPAP and solar charger , trail cams, water bladder, fleese sleepwhere, comfortable sleeping pad.
Heck I'm sitting on a mtside, miles from the nearest rach, and connected to the Internet.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Elk camp technology

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I haven't been elk hunting for 30 years, but I would miss the generator, my hot shower on demand (zodi), GPS, I don't know how to run a compass other than walking a straight line and many others thing. My guess thats why the mountain are full of people in elktember. But just think of all the great product that have been made 30 years ago. Maybe a lucky coat or hat, the 10x12 wall tent, comfy cot and sleeping bag, how about the Colman stove or lantern, the map with all the kill spot market on it that you keep in the safe next to your most prized possessions.
Lefty your are right I bet know one has any electronic from 30 years ago.
Good luck with the game camera's, be safe and have fun.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I don't have many of the things you mention but I sure like the products I do have & will most likely purchase more as needed! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 4]

No doubt the GPS, rangefinder, and cell phone are great inventions. I would give them all up in a minute to get the solitude of hunting the 1960s. Getting game is just as easy now or easier, but hunting has changed. It is too commercial and too much about bragging rights. That is why I enjoy reading posts by Saddlesore and some of the other older hunters so much. I well remember a time when no one asked or even gave a thought to how an animal scored. A buck was a forked horn 3 point or four point. That is all. When all was said and done the rack was hanging over a joist in the garage or wood shed. Does anyone still even have a wood shed?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I do have a range finder and if I am hunting with someone ,I carry a little two way.That's about it in the field.

I remember hunting the 60's. We would put our bed roll in the back of the saddle. Put what we needed for 3-4days in the saddle bag.We each took one of those big military paunchos that was a shelter half. Where we were at the end of the day is where we camped. Cooked on an open fire. My elk bugle was made out of a piece of 3/4" conduit. When we got some thing down,we lashed it to the saddle and walked out. Loved every minute of it. I converted my wood shed to a storage shed when we got natural gas out front on the county road. We haven't burned a piece of wood since then.

Now days,I have a little popup slide in camper.In the AM, I reach down and turn the heater on. When it gets toasty enough,I get out of the bunk, put the coffee on,take eggs and such out of the refridgerator and fix breakfeast
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Does anyone still even have a wood shed?

I do, what do i win?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Anyone that still has a woodshed can be a leader of many men and the heart throb of a thousand beautiful ladies. You just have to find and round them up yourself. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Anyone that still has a woodshed can be a leader of many men and the heart throb of a thousand beautiful ladies. You just have to find and round them up yourself. :D

As a leader of many men, i shall decree that my followers must go forth and round up my thousand beautiful ladies for me, cause i cant seem to find em around here.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 9]

well of course! I thought everyone had a woodshed! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Scorpyd shooter » 08 09, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Lol, that's a funny one
Scorpyd shooter

Postby Elkduds » 08 10, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I have a shed, its built of wood. Send the ladies around 3, better make that 5 @ a time :shock:
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott