Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Tracking/Kill Kits.. what's in your wallet?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Tracking/Kill Kits.. what's in your wallet?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Yep, they are a bit different in my eyes, serve different purposes, and each have their special place in the grand scheme of things. OK, season is almost upon us, let's talk about elk hunt tracking and kill kits. I have a small, lightweight bag that contains my tracking kit (flagging ribbon, spray bottle of peroxide, my tags for state hunted, and a handful of reflective tacks). This little packet stays in the lid of my Exo 3500 pack for quick retrieval. The kill kit, is down in the bottom of my pack, right on top of the first aid packet in another zippered bag. The tracking kit comes out first but once the bull has been located ten toes up, err, four hooves up, out comes the kill kit.. My kill kit contains a fixed blade knife, a replaceable blade knife, lightweight synthetic game bag set, a container of chili powder, tiny diamond sharpening rod, piece of lightweight plastic, bone saw for cutting off skull cap, two black plastic sacks (pack liners for the initial two packers), a couple of pairs of latex gloves, and four lengths of para-cord in case meat needs to be hung. Do you cats pack/carry similar configurations or something different?

TrackingKit.png
TrackingKit.png (602.45 KiB) Viewed 5014 times

Kill Kit.png
Kill Kit.png (622.09 KiB) Viewed 5014 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Tracking/Kill Kits.. what's in your wallet?

Postby saddlesore » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Mine is about the same except instead of para cord, I carry a new pack of standard clothes(about $2) line of about 100 feet. I don't feel bad of cutting it up and that extra length comes in handy if I have to tie leg off, while skinning, to some tree far away.Having to much rope or cord is never a problem.I also carry fixed blade knives and 2-3 of them and latex gloves or the yellow kitchen gloves. I don't hunt very far from my mules so my game bags or in the panniers
I don't carry the peroxide. On the few tracking jobs I have had to do,I would have needed a gallon of it for the distance.Muzzle loader hunting,you usually get a pretty good size hole for blood to leak out
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Here is good deal for your kit.Walgreen carries it ( probably others too). Woundseal. It is four small packets in a small plastic box .Sort of like Quickclot, but small, pour it on a cut and it forms a scab

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wound ... 56-product
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Just ordered the Woundseal off Amazon (free shipping ;) ....). It'll be a nice, lightweight addition to my kill kit. I do like the clothesline vs. the para-chord idea for the cost, but, in my current line of work (and my retired line of work), I have a ton of para-cord on hand so I pack four 25' lengths that will serve all needed purposes. Peroxide is most always not needed in bow hunting either but sometimes, it's not what we want, but there may be a marginal hit (or a hit where the elk takes his merry arse in a direction where the blood trail is sparse for a period of time/distance) that the little spray bottle really helps to keep a guy on track. I would also carry two fixed blade knives but minimizing pack weight is an issue the way I hunt.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 07 30, 2017 •  [Post 5]

My meat handling kit is much bigger.
In my pack I carry a folding knife, my tag, 2 kitchen plastic bags, 60 sq. ft painters plastic, para cord, and toilet paper ( for tracking.)
In camp meat bags, knives, steel, stone/oil saw paper towels, gloves, salt( hide) Im adding chile pepper

I do have peroxide, mainly as first aid cleanser
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Couple things that I add no one has mentioned. #1 is a space blanket. Usually have one in my pack anyway and works as an added area to work on during breaking an elk down. Works great, with one caution not to throw meat downhill as it can act as a slip and slide and send meat down the canyon at an amazing speed.
#2 Blue Star- I don't keep in my pack, but always have in camp after seeing it work. If you haven't seen this stuff it is well worth trying. You can try it on anything you've packed with before, like even last year and having been washed it will still light up.
http://www.bloodglow.com/blood-tracking ... nting-kit/
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby lamrith » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 7]

ishy wrote:Couple things that I add no one has mentioned. #1 is a space blanket. Usually have one in my pack anyway and works as an added area to work on during breaking an elk down. Works great, with one caution not to throw meat downhill as it can act as a slip and slide and send meat down the canyon at an amazing speed.
#2 Blue Star- I don't keep in my pack, but always have in camp after seeing it work. If you haven't seen this stuff it is well worth trying. You can try it on anything you've packed with before, like even last year and having been washed it will still light up.
http://www.bloodglow.com/blood-tracking ... nting-kit/

Cool looking kit.

Hey RJ, you gonna buy that to help track Swede and My bulls this year? You know one of them will run up over the bedding ridge into the abyss... :lol:
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby ABQ_Chica » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 8]

To be honest, I initially misread this as "Elk Tracking Kilts." Sooo many questions! ;)

Thanks for the good info, everyone. I like the idea of separate kits--makes a lot of sense. I'll look into Woundseal. That would be handy in a survival kit, too.
ABQ_Chica

Postby Elkduds » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 9]

[quote="ABQ_Chica"]To be honest, I initially misread this as "Elk Tracking Kilts." Sooo many questions! ;)

kiltcamo.png
kiltcamo.png (87.99 KiB) Viewed 4893 times

Chica, good to see you posting up again. Been a while?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ABQ_Chica » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Elkduds wrote:
kiltcamo.png

Yes, been a long time...wish I had more time to check in. I always learn something here, or hear about handy things I had no idea existed, like Woundseal, Bloodglow, and camo kilts!
ABQ_Chica

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Elkduds wrote:
ABQ_Chica wrote:To be honest, I initially misread this as "Elk Tracking Kilts." Sooo many questions! ;)

kiltcamo.png

Nice! :lol:
WapitiTalk1

Postby jmez » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I don't have a tracking kit of any sort. Kill kit is pretty simple. Tags, replaceable blade knife,( I carry my fixed blade on my belt), BOMB meat bags, 2 1qt ziplock bags, 2 medium length zip ties, 2 long zip ties, that's it.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby twinkieman » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Flagging, game bags, fixed blade knife, and lightweight stone to keep edge on knife
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson