Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Connections

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Connections

Postby Lonnie » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Ok so I have not been on this site as long as the old men who run it. Lol no offense. But let's all get reintroduced and say what general hunting area and state. I think it will help some of us make new friends or close hunting partners.

I'm Lonnie from Weiser Idaho. I usually hunt unit 22, 31, 32.

If anyone wants info on these areas I would be glad to help on areas.
Lonnie

Re: Connections

Postby saddlesore » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I'm Vince Mautino,. Close to Colorado Springs, I hunt units 12, 25, 54. I have hunted 6,161, 36, 201, 82,86
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 3]

John Erickson. I have hunted quite a few units in the State of Oregon, and a little in Washington. I am an instigator, agitator, and sometimes a little helpful.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby poisonarrow » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I am james Jantzen . Live in Del Norte Co. Hunt 68,81,80,79, he ,he, and this year I am going to hunt unit?
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby CurlyTail » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Jim Bunker

I live in North Platte , Nebraska where I am a Dermatologist who loves to hunt Ducks, Geese, Pheasant, Quail, Prarie Chickens in Western Nebraska. I am also a bit of a Turkey Hunting nut.

I hunt mostly Colorado with my brother. We started on muzzleloader hunts, and now prefer Archery elk hunting.

I am hunting Wyoming this year and hopefully will begin to put Wyoming into the rotation

My family has a DIY wilderness cabin in remote Northern Saskatchewan so I enjoy fishing for Walleye and big Pike as well.

I got my once in a lifetime Nebraska elk last season, so I guess life is downhill from here
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Tigger » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Dean Krebs from Minnesota, eh? I have hunted WY 21 and MT 121 in the past and hopefully in the future and will hunt MT 323, 324, and 327 this year.
Tigger

Postby Elkduds » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Old Mark Scott, CO Springs. Archery, ML, rifle. CO gmus 8, 10, 12, 214, 22, 30, 31, 32, 36, 40, Grand Mesa, Gunnison/West Elks, Uncompahgre Plateau, South Park, 60, 67, 711, 82, 85, 851. Maybe others, memory isn't what it was.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I'm Cody Jacobson from Idaho. I used to hunt unit 61, & 59... now I mainly hunt unit 43
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Dennis Hauser
I have lived in Pocatello for the past 14 years, Perry Utah for 7 years, Vancouver Washington for 7 years and raised in Minnesota.
I cut my teeth archery elk hunting the Central Idaho desert, Now I archery elk hunt the Mountains of SE Idaho
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Im Joe Ferraro. Gemini with brown eyes. I like camping and romantic walks.... in the mountains.... with bows and guns and an elk tag! Ive hunted Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming a lot! This year Ill be in western Wyoming.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Eldonvieira » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Eldon Vieira Idaho Falls normally hint the Tex creek zone
Eldonvieira

First Name: Eldon
Last Name: Vieira

Postby six » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Mark Cool

I've hunted 21 231 54 36 in Colorado. I'll be in 36 one more year banking points. Bought a prefference point for my son and I last week for Wyoming.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:Im Joe Ferraro. Gemini with brown eyes. I like camping and romantic walks.... in the mountains.... with bows and guns and an elk tag! Ive hunted Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming a lot! This year Ill be in western Wyoming.

And... I've never missed a Sturgis rendezvous since the 80s :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Cripes, this is like ElkHarmony.com... a bit suspicious Lonnie ;)

RJ here... Grew up and experienced all that NW MT has to offer back in the day. Army life from 79-82 and 87-2004. Still working with/for America's finest Soldiers on Ft. Lewis in the Evergreen State. I hunt because that is part of my DNA, always has been...was ingrained in me by logger pop ("son, if you don't kill your own food, you're just a scavenger"). Uncle Sam has taken away a good handful of my September adventures into the elk country but no worries, it was worth the diversion in many ways. When I first got to WA State in 87, life was monumental with an elk in every pot, and, around every tree... It's changed a ton since then and I no longer target the state I live in but instead migrate during that most special time of the fall, the elk rut, to either N Idaho or NW MT. For the past 5 years if my old pea brain remembers correctly, it has been Idaho. Yes, there are still wild places where the elk sing like birds, the season(s) are plentiful, and the opportunities are to be had if a hunter has the bark on and knows their business. I've resigned myself to the fact that in my current position in my aging hunting life, that I enjoy the hunt almost (almost) as much as the kill so for me..... it's the nature of what we do, and what we experience, that makes a successful season. I like to talk to Wapiti and do my best to invite them home for dinner. If a particular event does not shake out with hide on the ground, no problem, I eagerly anticipate the next day's adventure! A few years ago, perhaps the absolute best of the somewhat modern day Elk whisperers, Mr. Paul Medel/Elknut.... asked me if I'd like to take over his forum as his business was blowing up (in a most positive way) and he perhaps, couldn't give his fine forum the attention it so deserved. After a few days of pondering this large task, I agreed and we now have what we call the WapitiTalk Elk Hunting Forum (lotsa work I'll tell you and trying to keep my stinky moderators and you member on track is a herculean task :)....). So far so good and our membership is growing constantly... Sure glad to have you cats on board and continue what Mr. Elknut started. Thanks for your participation in our meager forum and looking forward to many, many more years of interaction and "passing it on". RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Ben Nicholson » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Ft Lewis? My father in law works there (actually he's in Korea for a couple more weeks, but he's based at Lewis.

All of my elk hunting has been in Colorado and WA. Good chance I'll be trying ID this year.

If any of you need intel on Iowa deer let me know.

Good luck,
Ben
Ben Nicholson

Postby Roosiebull » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 16]

RJ, great reply! I am younger, and younger in the game, but the killing part is not why I do it, and the year I am not successful, I will be perfectly content, just being present in the elk woods is magical.

I am Mike Ashmon, live on the central oregon coast (kernville to be exact) I only hunt Roosevelt elk, never have hunted a rocky, though I plan to at some point.

I live a life of wild harvest, I have made almost every dollar of my life on the ocean, and my only recreation is fishing and hunting.
If anyone wants to know about fishing and hunting the oregon coast, let me know, I can give you some good starting points.
Roosiebull

Postby WYO_ELK » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Kyle Peep
SE Wyoming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WYO_ELK

Postby stringunner » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Jeremy Green

Live in Prineville OR, center of the state.

Hunt mainly Swede's treestand spots that I have become a pro at finding. 8-)

Central and eastern Oregon, several different units.

And SE Wyoming for a few years aswell when we lived there. Should be hunting it again in a year or two as my dad has max points and I'm one behind max.
stringunner

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Eric Strusz, from Minnesooota doon't you knoow. I have hunted rifle in Colorado zone 77,78,771 2nd season. Because of job reason I had to switch to stick and string and thought heck I may as well switch states and found Idaho to be pretty nice. This year I burned all my preference points on a muzz tag in zone 84 and 69 in Colorado.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby elkaholicid » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Michael Batease from Boise, Idaho.

I have been extremely blessed and fortunate to have bow hunted quite a bit of this state along with Montana and Colorado. I do have a decent amount of knowledge to share on the parts of Idaho I have hunted along with a skill set within the elk calling realm.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Hi, Jim Stephens. I live in east central Illinois. I enjoy long walks with my bow in Idaho Unit 62A and Colorado Unit 80.
Elkhntr08

Postby ishy » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 22]

Bryan Langford from Cda, Idaho. I usually hunt the panhandle, and have gone south a few times just to try somewhere I can see more than 30 yards.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby NorthIDTLH » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 23]

Tim Hanna, grew up in Post Falls ID, now live in Blanchard ID...about 45 min north.

I've hunted close to where I live in unit 1, will be going old school this year for elk and heading to a hopefully forgotten honey hole in unit 7.

In reading all these replies, I've forgotten what the point of this is. I'm open to helping out people looking to hunt this neck of the woods in any way I can.

I have September off from about the 5th on...
NorthIDTLH

Postby wawhitey » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 24]

NorthIDTLH wrote:Tim Hanna, grew up in Post Falls ID, now live in Blanchard ID...about 45 min north.

I've hunted close to where I live in unit 1, will be going old school this year for elk and heading to a hopefully forgotten honey hole in unit 7.

In reading all these replies, I've forgotten what the point of this is. I'm open to helping out people looking to hunt this neck of the woods in any way I can.

I have September off from about the 5th on...

You said it. Big whitetails, please and thank you. (170+)
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby chipick » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 25]

I am John Rosenlund I live in the NW corner of Oregon and primarily hunt unit 11, and 10, I'm still not sure what I'm doing yet but have taken 2 elk home so far in the 4 years I have been archery hunting, mainly because I have an awesome partner to hunt with who loves to call but is scared to shoot. That's what I tell him at least
chipick

Postby Stick » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 26]

Anthony Lester here. I live in Blair, ok. I'm a minister and pastor a church. I'll preach you an elk huntin sermon if you care to hear it. Lol

I've hunted Colorado unit 62,40,65 and another one or two. Also Wyoming for the past 2 years.

I have two tags this fall, 1. General Wyoming will do archery 2. New Mexico unit 17 muzzle loader :D

I'm a trapper, noodler, turkey hunter........

Hunted deer all over the place.

Yukon moose is at the top of my bucket list.
Not all who wander are lost!
Stick

Postby Lonnie » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 27]

Wawhitey the point of this post was to reintroduced everyone. There are a lot of guys who hunt alone. If you see someone in your area on this post and need a hunting partner don't be afraid to pm them a message. I think for some of us that like to hunt different units or states having a way to contact someone from that area could make the hunt more successful. Some guys are scarred to put their units out there. But the truth is there are plenty of elk out there.
Lonnie

Postby wawhitey » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 28]

Lonnie wrote:Wawhitey the point of this post was to reintroduced everyone. There are a lot of guys who hunt alone. If you see someone in your area on this post and need a hunting partner don't be afraid to pm them a message. I think for some of us that like to hunt different units or states having a way to contact someone from that area could make the hunt more successful. Some guys are scarred to put their units out there. But the truth is there are plenty of elk out there.

I was just cracking a joke demanding whitetail honey holes from the panhandle guys.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lonnie » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 29]

Wawhitey. I got you. Hay the positive thing about this post. Is I bet no matter what hunting unit you are in. Someone can tell you where a cold beer can be bought within an hour of your hunting area. Lol
Lonnie

Postby MidMoElkNut » 08 11, 2017 •  [Post 30]

Hey I'm Dave Otto from central (Linn) Missouri
I'm a rookie but I'm trying to figure this whole thing out but that's what makes it fun!

I've been elk hunting 5 years now in Colorado units 14 and 161
So far they have been otc diy solo archery hunts and I'm addicted even though I've yet to tag an elk!

If anyone is looking for a partner to elk hunt with in the future let me know maybe we can work something out!
I would like to do other hunts and in other states as well.
I love bow hunting but would like to try gun or muzzleloader hunting.

Good luck to everyone this year!
MidMoElkNut

First Name: Dave

Postby Fozziebear2000 » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 31]

Howdy to all. Randy Foster here, in Olympia Washington. Lifelong hunter starting to really focus on elk. Currently most active in the area around Naselle, Washington. Might need to hire a packer late archery season this year. P.m. me if you know somebody in that area that might be interested. Also open to making new friends, I've been hunting alone recently.

This year I'm spending the days of early archery elk season with family. We are meeting up in Wyoming to chase antelope together.

Haven't had a bull come all the way in to my calling yet. Hope that will change thanks to recent practice, and instruction from ElkNut and Iron Mind - thanks for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fozziebear2000

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 32]

Welcome to the forum Fozzie. I hope things change for you when you go elk hunting again. Join in the conversations around the campfire as we all share ideas and insights on hunting. Contribute as you feel led to.
Swede

Postby abow » 08 16, 2017 •  [Post 33]

Howdy All -

Name is Adam. I'm originally from Arizona, now living in Colorado (Denver Area).
This is my first year hunting in Colorado, and I'm ready for the Fall! I have a Deer hunt in Idaho, 3rd season Doe in GMU 15, and 4th season Bull in GMU 54.

Excited to be here!
abow

Postby scubohuntr » 08 16, 2017 •  [Post 34]

Kevin Krogstad, Helena Montana.

I've been solo elk hunting exactly twice (unsuccessfully) in the last 35 years. This year I'm fixin' to do it a bit more seriously (but no less solo and probably no more successfully). I don't really know what I'm doing, but I got a general deer and elk license and I'm going to see how many units I can hunt with it, archery and rifle. I gave the bears and pronghorns a one-year free pass. Next year I'll know where to apply for permits. I'm looking at GMUs 422, 420, 423, 339, 343, 293, 680, 455, 380, and others for this year. Some for elk, some for deer, some for both. It's my first year hunting in Montana. Pretty much public land and Block Management; I have no connections. I've got a lot of Midwest whitetail experience, but I'm an old newbie in the mountains.

I'm not an antler snob; I'll be perfectly happy with a cow. I'd like to put some elk and venison in the freezer this year. I'd also love to find out where they keep the ruffed grouse in Montana.

Maybe in a year or two I'll have something to offer, but right now I'm pretty much a data sponge.
scubohuntr

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2017 •  [Post 35]

A huge welcome to all of you new members. It would be fun seeing if we could get RJ to put a mortgage on the house due to the extra demand for WapitiTalk bumper stickers. Maybe it would be more fun just having more new members around the W.T. campfire.
Swede

Postby dhoey » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 36]

Danny Hoey Spokane Valley, Wa

Elk hunted the westside of Wa for a few years, then moved east to the Spokane area. Bow hunted around here for the last two years and have came damn close to popping the cherry but hasn't quite happened yet.

I will be venturing into the Gem State this year for the first time, down in Wieser in 13 days to be exact. Any tips, feel free to PM :D e-scouted the best I can but haven't made it down there.
dhoey

Postby 2MANY » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 37]

My name is Hugh Jardon.
I enjoy the rut and work in the film industry.
:mrgreen:
2MANY

Postby Lonnie » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 38]

Ok so some good feed back about learning where everyone is from. I had a call tonight from DHOEY. About a area around where I have hunted. Good talk. This web site is full of good guys, and one cranky one Swede. But full of knowledge. Don't be afraid to pm people like Swede who has been hunting for over 60 years. These are great peices of knowledge to help us in our future hunts. And I have thought about the name of the post connections. Ya it sounds gay. Lol. But I'm glad it is helping people hook up and find new hunting units.
Lonnie

Postby sasquatch » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 39]

Blake, live in Louisiana. Only 2 elk seasons under my belt. One in Colorado and the other Wyoming. Will be back in Wyoming this year.

Hunt ducks, deer, elk, turkey all over and saltwater fish.

Blake
sasquatch

Postby Waygoner » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 40]

Todd from Gunnison, Colorado. Been here since 1999. Muzzle loader is my preferred weapon. I hunt elk and turkey every year, deer when I can draw a tag.
Waygoner

Postby dhoey » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 41]

Big thanks for Lonnie for starting this thread and being a stand up guy! It can be hard to find guys with equal passion for what we do, and be willing to share some knowledge.

The season is fast approaching so stay safe, have fun and lets kill some elk 8-)
dhoey

Postby Tigger » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 42]

I did a little business with Sasquatch (Blake). He was a pleasure to do business with. Not sure if he looks like Sasquatch or not though.
Tigger

Postby jmorr » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 43]

Joel Morris, Spokane WA. 2nd year elk hunting, hunting the panhandle this year for the first time 3rd week of September.
jmorr

Postby sasquatch » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 44]

Tigger wrote:I did a little business with Sasquatch (Blake). He was a pleasure to do business with. Not sure if he looks like Sasquatch or not though.

Thanks, same to you. And nah Sasquatch was just a name I came up with, no resemblance lol.

Blake
sasquatch

Postby one_elk » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 45]

dougo, have hunted in CO since the late 60's units 201, 61 (they were fun!), 86, 80, 81, 82, 481, 43, 521 couple of units over by Meeker can't remember the GMU # also have hunted in Montana, lived there for 8 years and New Mexico, of course like the rest of us like to have the area to myself when I am hunting but then it's not bad so see others, "wanting to learn how to pack an elk out" when you have something on the ground...good luck to all
one_elk

Postby RO1459 » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 46]

Ray Orgera, Chattanooga, TN area, this will be my 35th year hunting Elk. Hunt GMU 12 and 24 third season and have hunted GMU's 161, 131. Mostly go now to be able to walk around with a license in the snow and beautiful mountains. Most of my hunting partners are either dead or no longer hunt Elk. May take a cow this year since we have no more Elk meat in the freezer. ;)
RO1459

Postby Lonnie » 08 25, 2017 •  [Post 47]

Well it is nice to meet everyone. Hope you guys will share pictures of the monster (ELK) you kill this year.
Lonnie

Postby Deanmac » 08 25, 2017 •  [Post 48]

Dean McFarlin, LIve in a small town, 50 miles west of Atlanta Georgia. Retired from school teaching three years ago and this year will be my third trip to Colorado. First two years were in unit 711 and this year it will be 54.
Deanmac

Postby Brendan » 08 26, 2017 •  [Post 49]

Brendan from Boston, MA of all places... Most of my hunting is in Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. 3 Elk trips under my belt to Montana and Wyoming, heading back to Montana in 2 weeks. Not sure if anyone else has that kind of mileage to get to the Elk woods - it'll be 5000 miles of round trip driving for me.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan