Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Spike camp- How close is too close?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Spike camp- How close is too close?

Postby jmorr » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Lets say I find elk 3 miles from camp. I decide to venture from the comfort of the camp trailer for a couple days to cut down on travel time to and fro. How do you experienced folk determine where to camp, and how do you minimize your impact on the elk woods so as to not spook every animal out of the county?
jmorr

Re: Spike camp- How close is too close?

Postby saddlesore » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 2]

It varies due to terrain.Generally I would stay one ridge over from where I would be hunting.Thing is,other hunters usually screw you up. This particular bowl ,I camped in the trees off to the right for many years keeping a quiet camp.I took eight bulls in 8 years (rifle) from the surrounding country of that meadow.All the while outfitters and DYIers passed thru it to go up on top to hunt. I'm thinking I might go back there this coming fall and hunt it, OTC bull,although riding in every day from my camp down below . I haven't hunted it for quite a few years

turret.jpg
turret.jpg (193.44 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Like Saddlesore, I keep things quiet. How far away I am depends on the area. Since I am only in camp in the evening and night, I prefer to camp below my hunting area. That way my scent is not going up to where I expect to find the elk. For me 1/4 mile is usually far enough, but I want to be down in the draw. It is cooler there, but I usually have water, and a fresh place to hunt the next day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby RAMMONT » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

As said, terrain and how quiet your camp is can make a big difference in how far you want to be from your hunting hole but my attitude is that I like at least a quarter mile or so - around 4 or 500 yards. If I had a ridge line between me and the animals I might cut that distance down a bit but not much, maybe down to 300 yards.
RAMMONT

Postby Lefty » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 5]

While hunting the desert, many years I had elk show up under 100 yards from camp.I think elk are a bit more curious in the dark and feel safer
I tried to stay away from areas used by elk. One year I camped in the rocks trying to avoid elk. I had elk rUn between the truck and the tent.
A few,years back a,bulk walked in towards my camp.
Rake a little, then bark, at first it was neat to hear, minutes later the noise became annoying as I dozed off to sleep
One time while camping a elk came in and really set the horses off, , nearly a bad Rodeo
I literally ran after the elk to run them off,
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Lefty wrote:One time while camping a elk came in and really set the horses off, , nearly a bad Rodeo
I literally ran after the elk to run them off,

Yep,real good reason not to use an electric fence to keep livestock in while hunting.Chasing live stock in the dark is never fun.
saddlesore

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 7]

If you spike camp out you are going to effect the game one way or another. Doing so in a minimal way is key. I agree about having a ridge in between you and the area you plan on hunting. Isn't always possible, but is the best. Keeping quiet in camp is key. Just because you are at camp, spike camp, doesn't mean there isn't any game listening to you.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 8]

It is really hard to come up with a rule that fits every situation. Lefty has had elk around his camp. I doubt it was a problem. Oly and I have had elk near where we were sleeping. I don't think it hurt anything. Lefty may be onto something when he said elk are less fearful at night. I know the elk Oly and I observed were not chased or even called to, so they went on with no discernible change in their movement. I would set up to not interfere with the elk, as best you can, without being so far out that it takes up a lot of time and energy to get to where you want to hunt.
Swede

Postby Kentrek » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 9]

From my experience it's most likely far less of an issue then people make it to be...ive spent alot of nights 300 yards from elk....

Another thing that always amazes me is after about ten days camping in one spot how often we get into them about 200 yards down wind of our "poo" stations

Take it for what it's worth but id go find the elk and keep in site of them till dark, hold back under a tree till day break and go kill one....
Kentrek

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I have not found urine or poo to be a deterrent to deer and elk. I still remember reading a magazine article where the author claimed an elk bolted out on an area when it came to where he relieved himself. His claim was that it was the urine that caused the problem. I wonder how he came up with that notion. Besides I have urinated for years from my stand and had zero problem. You won't find a urine jug in my tree. Besides RJ says critters come in for the salt where we will be hunting. I forgot to ask if urinating from my stand it is considered baiting in Idaho.

What convinced me that urine is not a problem was a stunt I did years ago.
I had a ladder set up leaning against a tree that I planned to use for my stand location. I went to check it out one afternoon and found my ladder was moved. I put it back and tied it back to the tree I wanted. I went back a few days later and the ladder was moved again. I thought this is getting ridiculous. I will teach the character who keeps moving my ladder, not to mess with me.
That next week, I peed in a gallon milk jugs every time I needed to relieve myself around home. I gathered up three full gallons of urine and headed back to where the ladder was the afternoon before the season opened. Sure enough there was a stand where I expected to see one. I took the jugs of pee and poured a lot around the water hole in front of his stand. I poured some at the base of his tree and along every trail leading into the area. I used all three gallons up and left. "That will fix him", I smugly thought.
I found out opening day he killed a bear at the water hole and a couple of days after that he killed his elk there. So much for urine ruining a place for hunting.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Should have used a chain and lock to secure the ladder
saddlesore

Postby saddlesore » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I have sat up on top of high vantage points and watched elk filter out of drainages as outfitters, DYIers with horses and back packers move into an area.Banging pots and pans, pounding tent stakes, laughing loud, chopping fire wood,shouting ( Even sighting in rifles at camp and running chain saws).

I watched where the elk went, go shoot one opening day and pack it back down thru that area with the hunters.They are amazed because they haven't seen an elk.Go figure.

If you camp where elk live, you will effect them.How much depends on how much hunter pressure they have seen
saddlesore