Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Decoy Usage

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Decoy Usage

Postby larry83 » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I was just curious if anyone uses decoys when hunting elk? I am wondering if they are worth the extra weight packing in. Personally thinking calling, glassing, and stalking will be enough but any advantage works.Thank you for any assistance.
larry83

Re: Decoy Usage

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I like a decoy when hunting alone on the ground. I call from the decoy and move a short distance, approximately 20 yards on average, then set up after the call. I do not want a decoy where I tree stand hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Glad you asked. Yes, the Poison Arrow Gear pretty cow face decoy is always mounted to the last arrow in my quiver. Weighs next to nothing, works like nobody's business diverting/capturing an elks attention almost every time I've deployed it, and hides your draw to boot. Link to the website is above if you want to learn more.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

RJ's point is well taken. I have not used that decoy, so I can't give a testimonial one way or the other, but when you are calling, an elk expects to see what was making the sound when they get close. The decoy gives them what they expect and reassures them at the same time. I would not use a decoy where I am not calling. I have tried and you may get away with it, but just as likely they will see the unexpected elk decoy and leave in a hurry.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkaholicid » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Decoys can be highly effective tools if used properly. The 2 I use are either the Cow Elk from Stalker Decoys which mounts to the front of your bow with a shoot through slot in it. It is light weight, hides your draw movements and also allows you to hide behind it while on a stalk.

The second is the Butt Head from Native by Carlton. I mainly use this one when I am back behind the shooter as the caller.

Key on both of these is to add a little bit of "real" movement. I will reach up and move one of the ears to give the appearance of a cow flicking her ear at a fly.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor

Postby ishy » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 6]

We've had mixed results. Sometimes it works just like a charm, others it seems to run elk off. I think the movement mentioned above might be the ticket. The smaller decoys that attach to your bow seem like your better option as you can move them easily. I thought about the bigger decoys and their positions-when have you ever seen a cow stand still with its head up for any length of time? Only when they are nervous! So its easy to see that could be a negative in using most of the stand alone decoys.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby poisonarrow » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I think the Poison Arrow Gear decoy is awesome! ;)
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby larry83 » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Thank you for all the advice looks to me that it may be worth a try and weight.
larry83

Postby 1Elkhunter » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I've used a Montana Decoy for years... it's the cow butt one... I don't know what it's called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes an Elk's life... some of you will get that... hint... Tropic Thunder. Anyhew... In a two person shooter/caller scenario, I've seen several times how that decoy can make that bull commit and come on in after he would have typically hung up. I can watch them when they see that cow butt all hot and sexy, and they can stand it. In my experience, it has proven to be very effective, and it folds up to the size of a dinner plate, and doesn't weight much. I don't use the stake thingy that came with it, I've got a piece of string tied in a loop at the top and hang it on a tree branch, or just hold it up. A couple times I've pulled my fixed blade knife, stuck it into a tree and hung it on that. I don't always pull it out, but since I'm usually the caller, and a pretty good distance from the shooter, I can pull it out and flash it (the decoy) if the need arises. :)
1Elkhunter

Postby Lonnie » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I'm taking my daughter hunting this year. She is 14. We are definitely going to use a cow decoy to shoot a dumb Spike are rage horn. They definitely have there place. She can take her time and pull her bow back behind the decoy.
Lonnie