Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Aspens or Spruce/fir

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Aspens or Spruce/fir

Postby BobcatJerry » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Heading to Colorado in three weeks. From Google Earth, I can see that some of the area I plan to hunt is spruce/fir timber, and there is a line on the southern face of the hill where the the timber looks like it turns to aspen and appears to be a dense area of primarily aspen and rather extensive +/- 700 acres. When I zoom in at an angle from GE I can see the white trunks. The grade is about the same, but the area with the aspen must be moister or cooler. Question, do the elk prefer the spruce/fir timber or the aspen, or does it matter. Where I've hunted in the past there were no aspen to speak of. Do they feed there, bed there, prefer one area over the other? Any help appreciated.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Re: Aspens or Spruce/fir

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I would make no plans now based on the different timber type. Check on the ground when you get there. It is likely the elk move back and forth through a large area. You could find a good tree stand location in one are or the other, so if I was hunting there, I would focus on where trails merge near, rubs and stinking water holes. Good luck on your Colorado hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cohunter » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 3]

They prefer both :D The best place to find animals is on the edge or transition zone between habitat types. They're more likely to bed, for example, just inside the edge of the dark timber than 100s of yards deep. Also, 700 acres is a pretty small area for elk. They may be in there thick for a couple of days and then move on to a new feeding/bedding area. Don't be too tightly tied to that area especially without finding reliable water and bedding sites.
cohunter

Postby saddlesore » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Altitude plays more into tree types than moisture. Low country ,sagebrush turning too oak brush as it gets higher ,then to aspen and finally spruce.
Elk can be found in any of that depending on time of day, month of the year and water available.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics