Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Muzzloader elk in Colorado units 11/211

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Muzzloader elk in Colorado units 11/211

Postby Muzzyvselk » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hello all.
My first topic post here please be kind.
My friend and I are thinking of burning a point next year and muzzloader hunting elk in Colorado units 11/211. They butt up against each other. Iv been doing due diligence online and think I have enough info to contact the local co. Iv read so many helpful ideas and just freely shared info from posters on wapitytalk I thought I'd ask for any of you guys/girls thought or info
On these areas. Not looking for anybody's honey hole. We usually hunt Montana but are looking for a closer drive and Colorado has lots of elk I hear. Thanks in advance for all responses.
Muzzyvselk

Re: Muzzloader elk in Colorado units 11/211

Postby saddlesore » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I can't help here as I have never hunted those areas
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Welcome. I have not hunted but I'm sure someone well help.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Mostly hi-desert country with some quakie pockets along the Danforth hills and Devel's hole. The success rates look good but it is mostly from private land. If you have good contacts you could do OK.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby brettb34 » 09 11, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Hunted unit 11 the last few years as OTC archery!
Like was stated earlier that most success comes from Private and Outfitters and locals with secret hot spots!
I just finished packing out a bull out of my spot and likely wont shoot one again there unless I can get a horse packer! wich was great 2 years ago with another bull!
this year we called and they said they couldnt do it! this year we would have had to pack the elk just to get it accessible to horses! and talked with some smoke polers that had seen or heard anything excpet a bear! and a bear tag would be a great idea if you go in 11!

so personally if you are going blind on public you will likely be unhappy with your hunt! and its miserbly hot dry country! only reason i hunt it is because no one else wants to or gives up after a day or 2! the obvious SWA's will see much pressure and poof elk will be on private where the water and feed are! 211 has alot of private as well! maybe focus around some ranches if you really want to give it a go! I would look elsewhere.
brettb34

Postby Muzzyvselk » 09 12, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Brettb34.
Congrats on the bull! Thank you for the info also. Google earth shows like you say "dry arid country" and steep. I actually have a couple horses to bring with so maybe if I get into elk I'll get to use em. They sure make things easier. Good tip on the bear tag. It gives me a different state of mind when in bear country if I have one. I'm thinking right now of unit 11 but it'll be next year. I'll post some pics on wapititalk if I get a bull. Thanks again for responding.
Muzzyvselk