Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Eating habits

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Eating habits

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Do your eating habits change when elk season roles around? Mine sure seem to. At doesn't seem to matter if it is just an overnighter, week long hunt, or just a day hunt out of spike camp or even a short days hunt from the house.

I always find myself up early, splash some cold water on my face, grab my gear and head off for the days hunt. After things slow down around 9:30 or 10:00 AM, I sit down a brew up a cup of coffee and maybe some oatmeal or something similar for breakfast. Then lunch seems to come around 2:00 o'clock or so with maybe some snacks in between. Then supper (I know some of you city slickers call it dinner) :lol: comes late in the evening after the hunt. While fixing supper, I get my gear rearranged and packed up for the coming day. Then it is time to eat and hit the sack. Same ole thing the next day! How do the rest of you do it?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Eating habits

Postby Lonnie » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Mine the same. I work all year long on the gym. Putting on muscle. When elk season is done. I look like a raisin. Lol. I definitely burn more calories then I take in. I probably only eat twice a day breakfast and dinner when I get back to camp late at night with a glass of wine lol to help me sleep.
Lonnie

Postby Swede » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I usually have a quick breakfast, then head to my tree stand. I have a snack mid morning then get out for lunch. If I go to a nearby stand, then I will come back to camp lunch the return to the tree. Supper is often pretty light, but if my brother is around we eat good. Now this Idaho hunt may be different. I will probably stay in my stand all day, so lunch will be from my day pack.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Good topic WW, I'm curious to hear how others do their daily grazing. I cannot stomach much food early in the morning but have to ear a small bite on the trail in, perhaps a 1/2 a blueberry bagel so I can take my lone MED :roll:. After a few hours of down, up, or sideways... I'll grab an energy bar out of my pack and much that. If I'm not on a serious stalk or hunt by mid day (11:30-12:30ish), it's lunch time and my buddy and I will find a couple of big fat mounds of elk grass to plop down on and have some mid day eat. After that, it's either on to a mid day siesta/lounge on the mountain, or, back to towards camp (or the rig) to screw around till its time to hit another spot for the evening hunt. Once back at camp after all the hunting is over, its usually some form of grilled beast and a side dish for 3 or 4 hunters.. This year it'll be 4. We all bring 3-4 mail meal items (steaks, brats, pulled pork tortilla critters, kielbasas, burgers, pre-made spaghetti sauce with meatballs to heat up and pour on a big box o noodles, and of course... I'll bring my world famous elk chili. On those nights where I'm beat and don't feel like cooking, it's the old freeze dried meal.. This year, I'll have some of the new Paleo Meals to go thrown into my food tote... I have a feeling they're gonna be pretty tasty. Throw my quart bag of day snacks in my pack for the next day, fill up the water bladder, and enjoy a few cold barley pops in the war tent, perhaps a snort or two of fine bourbon, before off to the tent to yell at Lamrith all night to quit snoring or go sleep in his suburban :lol:. Yes sir, can't wait.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Sometimes I'll drink juice or Mt Dew waiting for light.
A few hours later a couple granola bars, this year nut bars.
Before noon: an apple, an egg sandwich , maybe tuna and crackers.
Later another one or two nut bars, and another flavored tuna.
Back at camp a can of soup.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 08 09, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I will eat once or twice a day depending on the day and situation, unless I'm at work, that is pretty standard for me.

A hungry dog hunts better
Roosiebull