Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

O dark Thirty

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

O dark Thirty

Postby jmorr » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Last year my hunting partner was ready to kill me because I wouldn't let him turn his headlamp on on our trek towards the morning bugles. It was treacherous, but we were hunting open Nevada country where we could be spotted from a good distance away. How do the rest of you handle the hike in? From what distance do you think animals will spot you?
jmorr

Re: O dark Thirty

Postby Roosiebull » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 2]

normally I can get away with using a light, it's pretty thick around here. I have snuck through timber that had some nasty salmon berry patches I had to avoid, to get to the edge of a clear cut, where I could be spotted, I used a red light.

I have terrible night vision, but up until about 6 or 7 years ago, I never used a light walking in. most places it's not that bad, but getting into a brush hole in the dark can sure be irritating without light. I know I have used lots of trucker language under my breath hiking in pre dawn.

now I use a light most of the time, and have no issues, I don't think they will see you very far away if you keep the light at your feet and don't wave it around much, steady movement, and keep the beam pointed just ahead of your feet, I think you can get away with quite a bit.
Roosiebull

Postby saddlesore » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Use red LED instead of white
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I don't worry about scaring elk with my light. Even butchering with a light on does not bother other elk around me. The only thing a light does it tell other people that you are there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I will hold my headlamp in my hand and only allow enough light through to see where I step. Keeping the light low to the ground, and pointed down does a lot of good. But I am a big proponent of keeping the lamp off whenever possible.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby N2mywake » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Red LED (OR green)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Lefty » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 7]

When I hunted in the desert I carried a light and never used it. However one night I should have dug it out. during a long walk back

Swedes right about others seeing you. That can work both ways for you.
I do use a red lens when hunting other game, but hunting elk in grizzle country I dont spend a lot of time in the dark,.. or maybe a good excuse to stay in bed hours longer :? :shock:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 8]

It's the other guys that don't turn them off when they stand face to face talking to you that getsme.

I use them when riding in before light in the morning. Mules can see in the dark, but I can't see the branches that are higher than the average hike's head.

I keep the light on until we are ready to tie up , but don't shine it around. After the mules get use to it, they will follow the spot,and if you shine it off the trail they go off the trail.

Years ago, another hunting buddy convinced me I didn't need to have the light on.The mules will follow the trail and don't need it he said. So I left it off.. The mule I was riding must never had that course in mule school. After the 3rd or 4th branch smacked me in the face ,I turned on the light. There wasn't a trail in sight and I had no idea where it was.I had to wait until it was light enough to see where I was which screwed up that morning's hunt
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I spose heading in to a spot in more open country may be a bit of a conundrum (light vs. no light for ingress). But, as others have mentioned, keep the light use to a minimum (low beam), used pointed at the trail and not flashing across the horizon, and I don't think its an issue. Honestly, in the areas I hunt (not so open/flat) there are very few trails that I work in on in the dark that I would not use a headlamp on low beam (I don't play with the risk of falling down the slide, twisting my ankle on an unseen rock, stumbling and screwing up my bow, or stepping in a big ol fresh pile of bear, cat, or other crap :o ). Also, with two guys moving in... really, only the lead guy needs to have his lamp on and the second guy follows closely. It's a good thing to have a headlamp that has a very low, soft light, low level for just this purpose.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 10]

You young whiper snappers may not be old enough to remember this. But years ago, there was a company that made a small red light that used a small watch battery. It was designed to pin on your hat or jacket and was for the purpose of letting other hunters know you were a hunter and not an elk or deer. This was designed to protect you from the so called (SOUND SHOOTERS) that might hear you coming before daylite. It hit the market shortly after a bowhunter was shot and killed back east by another bowhunter before dawn.

I always use a light when walking in the dark. I feel using a light is better than breaking a leg in downfall timber. Besides, elk are used to seeing lights from airplanes, ranchers pole lights, and other sorces.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 11]

saddlesore wrote: The mule I was riding must never had that course in mule school.,,,

I thought all mule courses the rider is suppose to register for and attend ;) not the mule.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:I will hold my headlamp in my hand and only allow enough light through to see where I step. Keeping the light low to the ground, and pointed down does a lot of good. But I am a big proponent of keeping the lamp off whenever possible.

Ding ding! That^
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Lefty wrote:
saddlesore wrote: The mule I was riding must never had that course in mule school.,,,

I thought all mule courses the rider is suppose to register for and attend ;) not the mule.

Oh no, we only go along for the ride. :lol:
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I do not know if deer and elk even recognize light. It does not seem to bother them. They sure don't seem to mind a light outside the house or a car light. I have had elk bugle nearby when I was butchering at night, and they did not leave for a long time. I think what disturbs elk at night are the same things that disturb them in the day--people.
Swede

Postby Charina » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Swede, your observations re light while butchering is interesting, but I don't think there is much value in referencing stationary pole/porch lights. That's in a different category.

I can't think of a bobbing light through the woods having any positive effect. Neutral perhaps. But there primarily seems like potential downside. Some of the cows may have been around for 20+ years, and in that time have seen numerous hunting seasons come about. First they hear the elevated traffic levels, then they see bobbing lights through the woods, then the shooting starts. I could be just imagining things, but it would seem pretty easy for a mature cow to associate foreign objects floating through the woods with the resultant invasion by smelly humans and start of rifle season. Such association probably affects archery as well, just because they have learned over time that danger follows when lights invade.

As long as you have enough light to be safe, I don't see much downside to limiting the light when you can.
Charina

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 16]

There is no downside to keeping your light low as far as game is concerned. I would be a lot more concerned about my scent than the light. Even the noise I make would be more of a concern. Car/truck lights are common. Log trucks go in at 0 dark thirty.
Do deer and elk recognize light that is intense and in their eyes? If they don't recognize indirect light then they won't associate it with people. They still recognize people, but not relate it to light. I am not sure about this, but don't want to base my actions on something that is akin to a wives tale.
The two times I had a bull bugling near me at night was after I killed a cow from the herd. I was low on the hill or on the other side, so the bugling bull did not scent me. I was by myself, so there was no human voice being made.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote:There is no downside to keeping your light low as far as game is concerned. I would be a lot more concerned about my scent than the light. Even the noise I make would be more of a concern. Car/truck lights are common. Log trucks go in at 0 dark thirty.
Do deer and elk recognize light that is intense and in their eyes? If they don't recognize indirect light then they won't associate it with people. They still recognize people, but not relate it to light. I am not sure about this, but don't want to base my actions on something that is akin to a wives tale.
The two times I had a bull bugling near me at night was after I killed a cow from the herd. I was low on the hill or on the other side, so the bugling bull did not scent me. I was by myself, so there was no human voice being made.

Last year, when I killed bull, I found it, and started taking care of things, my father in law heard and called me, I answered the phone.

I wasn't talking quiet or anything, and after a minute I hear cows chirping, I tell him I need to get off the phone, but he won't quit talking, then the band of cows come over the ridge to me, still talking.

They sat there about 20 yrs, looking at me and moving their ears around, stayed for a bit, and finally walked off, still chirping, and never even picked up speed. That was 2nd morning of the season.

Another odd one, my sister in law killed a nice bull by herself one evening, I was home cutting mine up. After she shot the bull, she came over, and we are dinner and went to go Track it after dark. It was very deep brush, like chest deep, I was a little concerned. We got to where she shot, and I went down the hill so she could tell me where the bull was. I hear something and shine my light and see eyes glowing 100yds away...crap, I hope that's not the bull. I continue down, hear it again and shine the light, same eyes, but twice as close and I see it's a cow.

Long story short, the bull didn't go anywhere, and we found him easy, the whole time we were there, we were hearing elk all around, they never left. I do think we give them too much credit at times
Roosiebull

Postby Timber » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 18]

I use a light as minimal as possible. I have excellent vision at night and the worst thing I worry about is getting shot by some dim wit that does not belong out there with a weapon in their hands.
Timber

Postby saddlesore » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Roosiebull. I have had elk go over and sniff another elk that I just shot, and have had elk come into a kill site to investigate the smell. One year both of us had two cow tags each,we killed three cows within100 feet of each within about 5 minutes as they were milling about, sniffing and talking. Could have killed the 4th one,but figured we had more than enough work cut out for us. Even with the tree,it was a darn long day
saddlesore

Postby Old school » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 20]

I have the same concern as Timber does. I use a light, not necessarily for sight, but so some K-Mart Cowboy doesn't mistake me for an elk, bear or something else and shoot me.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Roosiebull » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 21]

saddlesore wrote:Roosiebull. I have had elk go over and sniff another elk that I just shot, and have had elk come into a kill site to investigate the smell. One year both of us had two cow tags each,we killed three cows within100 feet of each within about 5 minutes as they were milling about, sniffing and talking. Could have killed the 4th one,but figured we had more than enough work cut out for us. Even with the tree,it was a darn long day

that does not surprise me at all (even not killing a 4th :D I don't blame ya!)
Roosiebull