Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Weather for the upcoming season

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Weather for the upcoming season

Postby Losefreeze » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So with only 2 weeks left before opening day here in CO I was hoping to "predict" what the weather will be like this year. Last year, was brutal with how hot it was so i turned to the Farmer's Almanac which to my delight expects this fall to be wetter and cooler than average.

Question is do any of you rely/believe in the farmer's almanac and if not what do you use to hopefully get some insight into the upcoming season?
Losefreeze

Re: Weather for the upcoming season

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I don't put any stock in the Farmer's Almanac. I hardly believe the daily weather forecasts. I look out in the morning, and if the sky is clear, I leave my rain gear in camp or in a box in the back of the truck. If it is overcast, I throw the rain gear up front in the truck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

It has been raining every day here in CO since mid July. My experience in ML season which is mid way in archery season is one can expect to been rained on at least two days out of 9 at a minimum and it is always warmer than I want.

Weather prediction in the mountains is difficult. A clear blue bird sky in the AM can and does turn into a wet rain the the afternoon.
The Farmers Almanac is based on past history over many years so it has some validity.Weather patterns seem to rotate around a ten year period, so last years weather will probably not change much this year, but there is always the possibility of a freak storm.Which is why a person must be prepared for any weather.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I prefer a weather rock. Always accurate!!

I have a limited amount of days to hunt. While Im not a fan of hunting in the rain Ill do it somehow anyway, Rain does make stalking easier an often the thermals and winds more consistent.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkduds » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 5]

There is this: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... php?lead=1

It says the monsoon will persist through late Aug. That means rain almost daily, often a lot. Since the monsoon comes into CO from the south and slightly southwest, the southern half of the state gets more monsoon precip. Sept and Oct are forecast by NOAA to have average precip and above average temps. This forecast is not clear about when the monsoon will wind down, so plan on rainy afternoons, take tire chains. I have often seen elk, deer, bears be more active between the end of rainstorms and dusk.

Last Sept. a hurricane came north from Mexico the 2nd week of Sept. In far SW CO where I was hunting, it brought 3 afternoons of violent rain and thunderstorms w hail. I learned the DWR on my old Ascent pants was long gone, but I was dry everywhere my rain jacket covered. I always take rainwear in CO until Oct, then it is typically fair or snowy. Good luck.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Losefreeze » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Thanks guys. I will take rainy and cooler any day compared to the 75+ degree weather we dealt with last year until the final weekend.
Losefreeze

Postby saddlesore » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 7]

There is rainy and then there is rain. Rain so heavy you can't see 50 feet. We sat under my lash tarp two hours one morning last year,under a big pine tree, it was raining so hard.Looked like it was done. We got about 100 yards and it started again..Yea,we got soaked.
saddlesore

Postby COElkNut » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Yeah, for hunting i'm more inclined towards cooler weather. I'm not a fan of hunting in a deluge though.

Last year the weather was such a crap-shoot with emphasis on the crap part. I'm hoping we'll have better atmospherics this year - i no likey tag soup!

I was finally able to mow my back yard today we've had so much rain here this month. I feel for the guys in northern plain states...
COElkNut

First Name: COE

Postby cohunter » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Looks like a HOT opening weekend for the western half of Colorado... :roll:
cohunter

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 24, 2017 •  [Post 10]

cohunter wrote:Looks like a HOT opening weekend for the western half of Colorado... :roll:

Same for Idaho... I'm hoping RJ can bring some cold weather with him on the 9th.
Elkhunttoo

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 24, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Looks warm all over for the different areas I looked into for this season. The weather can change on a dime in September. I know that all too well.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby one_elk » 08 24, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Yup, hot for the weekend here in CO, but then it looks like temperatures, not a huge drop +/- 5 to 7 degrees, could drop and we could see some more precipitation. But of course it can change quickly...
one_elk

Postby Losefreeze » 08 24, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Yeah a warm one for sure here in Colorado. I talked with the local wildlife biologist out of the Sulfer Springs office for around the Granby area. She said the good news is not as dry as last year and in fact there are some grasses in areas above waste height. So at least it doesn't sound as dire as the conditions from last season. Very little winter kill and lower take numbers for last year could certaintly help all our chances. Good luck and maybe we will run into eachother up there this weekend.

Cheers,

Justin
Losefreeze

Postby saddlesore » 08 24, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Tonight's weather forecast (if you can believe them)says the thunderstorms today,might be the last of the monsoonal flow in Colorado. However, that hurricane hitting Texas in the gulf might send weather from another direction.I has done that before.
saddlesore

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 25, 2017 •  [Post 15]

The 15 day forecast (in Idaho)puts us out to September 8th and they have HOT every day and 0 % chance of rain. Hope there is a change in that...
Elkhunttoo