Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

CO GMU 61

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

CO GMU 61

Postby Waygoner » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

My brother drew a bull tag for 1st rifle in 61. I'm tagging along as sherpa/camp cook. I've hunted turkey on the Plateau and know the south end a little. We spent the weekend scouting and saw more bears than elk ( 2 - 0). We were in Sanborn Park and Hanks Valley. The lack of elk sign has us concerned. Can we expect things to change by Oct. 14th? Does anyone have any tips for us? (besides don't shoot one in some hellhole like Randy Newberg)

Thanks!
Waygoner

Re: CO GMU 61

Postby brun » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 2]

It's not unusual to not see a ton of elk in 61 during summer. There is more feed on top and in 62 so a lot of the elk stay there until the archery season starts and then they pile into 61. There will be a ton of elk in there by the time your hunt starts. Good luck.
brun

First Name: Jim

Postby Navesgane » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Sanborn area is fairly flat and un-rugged. I too turkey hunt there in the spring and find more elk/sign in the more rugged terrain, harder to reach areas of 61 than around the sanborn area. Never elk hunted it tho so that's about all the help I can give you. Goodluck!
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby skur2n » 08 25, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I had that tag last year. Saw elk everyday and killed a 6x6. I was willing to walk anywhere I possibly could to get a bull which helped me find elk on a daily basis, but I still occasionally spotted them from the road. They will be bugling during that season which helps tremendously and if you are willing to walk a bit I can tell you where they were and how I ended up shooting mine at 30 yards. I did shoot mine a mile and a half from the road but it was an easy downhill pack to the truck and I chased at least 10 different bugling bulls in that area before I locked on to that one. If you have horses or mules to pack one out, I can give you the locations where they will most likely be on opening morning and how I would do it differently to get my shot at the true herd bull that I was watching two weeks prior to the season.
skur2n

Postby Waygoner » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 5]

skur2n - I would very much appreciate a pm with more details. We hunt hard and are willing to get far from the road if necessary.
Waygoner

Postby EVD » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Just happened to see this post on 61. My buddy used 17 points for an archery tag this year and we are heading there on Friday. Any help you are willing to offer on 61 fro bow season is greatly appreciated! Good luck out there this season! Thanks,

Eric
EVD

Postby Waygoner » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 7]

EVD - Good luck in 61, I'd like to hear how it goes!
Waygoner

Postby EVD » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I will let you know, contact me before 1st rifle if I forget. If you have anything to pass along our way that is appreciated as well. Kinda fun with these high point draw units, people share information. Now that's a change!
EVD

Postby Waygoner » 09 18, 2017 •  [Post 9]

EVD - how did your hunt go? Can you give me any updates? PM is fine.
Waygoner