Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Night Bugling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Night Bugling

Postby Lonnie » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So how many of you guys do a little night bugling to locate bulls for the next day and do you think it is effective.
Lonnie

Re: Night Bugling

Postby Kentrek » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I usually already have a good idea where the bulls are at before season starts, but if your striking out or in a new area then I would be calling 24 hours a day till I got on something....cover lots of ground and do your best to locate and not actually call an in...back out asap....
Kentrek

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 3]

two years ago my wife and I woke up at 3:30 am to bugles just a few hundred yards from the pickup... they went on and off for about an hour and a half. About 45 minutes before daylight we started up the mountain towards where I thought they had gone. We did find 2 bulls up high but neither really wanted to play the game. We were camped pretty low in the canyon with only a few rolling hills few some trees below us. I found out that evening that the main group of elk stayed low and bedded for the day down low. My wife did get her first shot at an elk that night but it was a swing and a miss. I guess what all this rambling is getting at is even though we had them located about 2 hours before daylight they went quiet and then it's always a guess as to which way they go. If they would of even made one sound down low that morning would of been really different
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Calling at night can be productive to locate elk. Back out as soon as you get a response and the elk will be close by if you return first thing in the morning. Elk feed at night and will bed down and chew their cud for awhile. They may start to leave when day breaks, so don't delay in getting back to where you heard them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 5]

It can do well through most the month. Night calling accompanied by a Full Moon & Rutting dates can be unreal action! Locate elk an hour before light with your pack loaded for the days hunt & you can get right after them then, it works best for us at that time!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul