Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Make em bugle?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Make em bugle?

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 1]

What is your go to call/calls/sounds to get that next bugle when they just won't sound off again?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Make em bugle?

Postby Swede » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Interesting question Elkhunt. When that happens, I start to wonder. Why did he shut down? Was it a human? Is he coming in. I usually move a few yards away and wait. If nothing happens after awhile, I will call again with the call that first got him to sing back to me. If I still get no answer, I figure he is gone.
I do not do the stomping or raking for long range communication. I use that to get them in when they are relatively close and just need to be convinced.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I guess I should explain a little on the scenario I'm thinking about. I posted this on the night bugling thread but I will give a quick review.

My wife and I are sleeping at the pickup. I wake up to bugles a few hundred yards away for about an hour and a half. Didn't hear a bugle after 4:30 ish... we started up the hill in the direction I thought they went before daylight. We didn't go but a few hundred yards and I did some "lost cow calls" ... nothing, I was convinced the elk had moved back up hill. I found out later that afternoon they had actually bedded below us. They should of been well within hearing distance of us in the morning and it was still dark yet no answers. ???

I guess the other situation I'm thinking of is when you hear a bull in the distance a couple of times you are 100% sure it is a bull, you close distance (which we all know in some terrain in the mountains can take a bit even to go short distances at times)...then use what you feel he should answer and nothing???
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I have found there are times when nothing I say or do gets a bull to talk. I really have no answer, but to move on. I am not sure the hunter is the problem. Sometimes they just go quiet. You could stay put and continue to make short calls and rake some. You need to move away from your calling location a few yards when you do this. Maybe the bull in the area would come in silently. I have had them come in quiet many times.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

If a bull bugles once on his own or he responds only once to my bugle after a couple more attempts to get him to respond again & will not, I will move to within 150 yards of him give or take & setup with the Advertising Sequence! There's a 75% chance I will call him to me inside 30 minutes! He will not bugle back in most cases, he will show up silently but I'm ready for that!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul