Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting - The Storm before the Calm

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting - The Storm before the Calm

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Don't know about your cats, but I've been busier than heck the past few weeks getting ready for the upcoming elk season. Work has been crazy busy; the ol' Wapiti Talk Hunting Forum has been very active; trying to get all the house/property maintenance and miscellaneous project stuff up to Mrs. Wapiti's standards so I don't have to worry about anything when I'm gone; acquiring last minute pieces of gear and pulling out, checking, and staging all the gear that's gonna roll to camp this year; making sure the RZR and the trailer are GtoG; cooking/freezing a handful of base camp chow to feed the group 3-4 times; ordering a few more freeze dried meals for those nights where real cooking just ain't gonna happen; gotta hit the store and secure the last of the other chow I'm gonna need; gotta get the tires rotated on the truck and oil changed; shooting the new bow a ton and dialing it in; calling practice; etc., etc., etc. It's been a whirlwind for the past two week and I fear it won't slow down till I pull out for the Gem State. I'm ready for the "calm" that is elk hunting/elk camp with some good folks I know. Bull noses "will" be hitting the dirt this year 8-). Anybody else been busy as we travel down the final glide path to our elk seasons?

Vain Bull1.png
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Hunting - The Storm before the Calm

Postby Tigger » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Well other than last week when we had a family vacation, yes. this week and next week are the worst. I lead the organization of an event called Youth Outdoor Activity Day. It takes place on Sunday the 27th. We will have 45 activities for the 2,000+ kids that are expected to attend. The activities are almost everything you can do in the outdoors (fire building, trap shooting, tomahawk throwing, archery, outdoor cooking, shelter building, crossbow shooting, climbing wall, mock blood trail, shoot/don't shoot course, geocaching, orienteering, duck calling, birdhouse building, fly fishing, casting clinic, pollinator plot, mountain biking, ATVing, etc). Free lunch for everyone, free tshirts for the kids. All free. All kinds of details. It is craziness right now. Elk hunting gets pushed off to after that. So I start in earnest on Monday the 28th on elk hunting. Although I will say this, I have the FEVER!!!! Did I say my vacation was to Rocky Mtn Natl Park? Any guess what is in RMNP? Elk. Lots of elk. Big elk. Big bull elk. Big bull elk that let you get close to them.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Yep, oil changed and tires rotated yesterday... going to try to spend tomorrow afternoon getting all the gear ready
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I have been practicing and the truck is 3/4 loaded. The rest is ready to go in. I still have a little grocery shopping to do. Last but not least I got a short haircut today. It has to last for six weeks.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I'm retired, but still busy. My wife decided she wanted new carpet in the basement. They couldn't get to it until Aug 8.Of course I was busy moving everything before then and putting it back after that. Then I had to cut 7 doors off for the heavier pad/carpet.

Back on track this week,got the summer tires off and M&S on today, rolled out the slide in camper, got it all ready to jack up tomorrow and slide in. Had to get all the tack and gear out into the trailer for the mules, buy certified hay, grain, Got my clothes ready. Still have to by groceries. Next week it's shoeing the mules.Pull 8 shoes, trim tack 8 back on. I can only do two a day before I give out.
Still have to go out and check the muzzle loader,fire a few rounds to check zero

If you think having few a mules helps out,it's like getting two teenagers ready to go with you
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby blackwolf » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Have most of gear layed out, but not organized. Final meal preps will be done tomorrow. Leaving for Montana on Aug 27th so down to last week. Like Swede, I need to get that hair cut before I go so it lasts. Made a Cabela's run today to pick up a couple items including cloths for my wife who is joining me this year.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby Rangerz » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 7]

All my gear is staged in the garage. Get done with work on the 21st and will spend the 22nd loading up.

Heading out on the 23 for a week of scouting and the season starts Sept.1.

It's almost here!
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby wawhitey » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 8]

The most stressful time of year. So much to do, so little time! But when the day comes, it is what it is. Youre in the woods with your weapon of choice, and you decompress. As long as you have a solid weapon and a sharp knife, everything else will fall in place or not. There will be water if god wills it.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 9]

wawhitey wrote:The most stressful time of year. So much to do, so little time! But when the day comes, it is what it is. Youre in the woods with your weapon of choice, and you decompress. As long as you have a solid weapon and a sharp knife, everything else will fall in place or not. There will be water if god wills it.

Where in the hell is the thumbs up emoticon? Gotta talk to the owner about this.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 08 19, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Defiantly busier than a beaver.

Ill wash the sleeping bags this week,..
The gear is ready!!!
A few more things to complete, hardware on the upstairs doors, interior wall skin, 1/2 osb in the hay shed,.. I need to weigh all my arrows . Maybe some Paleo meals for added backup.
I need to get lots of camp food. We lost all our fruit this year due to a hard frost. And I don't like to shop during season
Oh my tags: Walmart will do
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 20, 2017 •  [Post 11]

We have it a bit easier these days. We are using a Toyhauler so everything is already in it! We just add food, gear & clothes & we are gone, takes a few hours & good to go! (grin) Been shooting the heck out of the Longbow this year, that's taking some time but what a thrill it is! Good luck to you all, it should be a good year!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 08 20, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I am leaving for camp fairly early tomorrow morning. I just hope the eclipse watchers pull off the road to gaze at the sun. I will be back on the forum when I return. Best wishes to all.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Good luck Swede!
Elkhunttoo

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 14]

When loading up for hunting camp, don't forget your arrows. Don't ask me how I know!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :oops:
>>>---WW---->

Postby elkaholicid » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 15]

The gear is ready and set aside. My shooting is dialed in. My calling is somewhat ready. (Haha) The food is ready except for the last minute I pick up on the way out of town. Chores at the house are done. Camo is all washed and stored in scent lock tote. But for some reason, I still feel like there is a TON of stuff to do before heading to camp next week. I am beyond ready to be out there soaking up the sights, sounds, and smells of Autumn in the elk woods.

Best of luck to everyone! Aim small, miss small and may your arrows fly true.
elkaholicid
Site Sponsor