Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cell reception

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cell reception

Postby Lefty » 08 26, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Where you elk hunt do you receive cell reception. ?
A little, none or really good reception.
I have discovered recently it doesn't matter how far away you are from people houses and civilization it doesn't matter. Some of those quiet government outposts have great reception where there isn't a ranch for 20 miles even in those deep dark Canyons. Or maybe a,rich and famous, a politician and their influence. So do you get cell reception anywhere you hunt?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Cell reception

Postby BobcatJerry » 08 26, 2017 •  [Post 2]

In the lemhi area in Idaho, we used to only get intermittent signal up high, from Verizon nothing with Nextel or Sprint. With the Nextel on Sprint, I didn't get anything as soon as I hit South Dakota on the ride out. We can text and sometimes get calls in camp now on Verizon. I don't tell anybody we can make calls. I use to have a blackberry on Verison, but it almost drained itself in after tuning on a few time. I turn my phone off until evening and check in with a text, or mid day if I have a better signal up high. Seems like you can get a text out most places up high. Going to the Flattops in Colorado next Friday. Hope to be able to text but I doubt it, pretty remote area.

I think your right on special purposes getting better reception. Use to use Nextel, when it was good, and always got good reception at our North farms. We have a local construction (national size) company that had about 1000+ employees, and when they went Nextel, it's like we lost our service, and I think they oriented the tower signal to better service their headquarters.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby saddlesore » 08 26, 2017 •  [Post 3]

For me it has more to do with Line Of Sight.Where I Ml hunt,and camp,there is about a 10' diameter circle where I get reception and can place a call. Nearest cell tower is about 30 miles. In extreme NW Colorado, I got reception and the nearest cell tower was 60+ miles away,line of sight.So it varies for me. I have Tracfone and they lease almost everyone's towers. I can usually get a signal when most with a dedicated carrier like Verizon, etc. can't.

Flat Tops are hard because most of the cell towers are along I- 70 to the south and down lower
saddlesore

Postby wawhitey » 08 26, 2017 •  [Post 4]

My elk areas get cell signal, but the area ill be deer hunting on the 1st does not. Ill be on my own in mid 90s temperatures next week, if i get my buck down ill have to work fast getting the meat off the mountain, no way to call in an assist. Up hill pack out too, yuck.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Brendan » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Zero where I'll be hunting this year. I love carrying my Delorme (now Garmin) Inreach for this reason. I can get text messages out/in, weather reports, and an SOS call if needed via satellite, and it allows family to see where I am so they don't get nervous. Worth it's weight in gold...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby RAMMONT » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

No, and I don't get cell reception where I live either, that's why I moved here.
RAMMONT

Postby N2mywake » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 7]

No cell service in the areas I've been in so far. Going to a new area this year and my phone will be off either way (I need the 2 week escape). We opted not to take an inreach this year and go back to the spot (one way communication) just so family will know we're safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
West Kentucky Boy
N2mywake

Postby Lefty » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 8]

RAMMONT wrote:No, and I don't get cell reception where I live either, that's why I moved here.

Im three miles from town, the rooms on the north side of the house we dont have reception. Often where i park in my drive I need to back up 10 feet for reception.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby nrocchio » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I used to get good reception above timberline in my area, but switched providers and found opening weekend that it is very tough to get a signal now. I hunt alone, so I just ordered a Delorme in reach. I can check in and keep my family from worrying about me. Its also nice to know if something goes wrong I can contact someone without having to rely on my cell.
nrocchio

First Name: Nick
Last Name: R.