Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Strategy? - Found Cows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Strategy? - Found Cows

Postby LarryBud » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Rookie Elk Hunter here.

My Son and I will be MZ hunting in Northern CO beginning Sept. 9. He lives in Denver and I'm a flatlander.

After doing the internet scoutng thing, I sent him to scout a likely looking saddle and meadow on FS Land. The walk was 2 miles each way and he was in Elk much of the time out and back ( he claims 3 different groups ). He saw some cows and heard a great deal of cow calling. Had an unconfirmed Bull sighting. Apparently, he did unintentionally stir the pot a little more than he would have liked.

We have bull only tags and it's generally thick forrest with a few scattered meadows. I'm not sure if they will still be there in two weeks but I'd like some ideas on how to hunt the above scenario. Our goal is any legal Elk.

Trying to learn. Thanks in advance.
LarryBud

Re: Strategy? - Found Cows

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Larry, if your son found the area with elk there's a good chance others will too! That's public land hunting! If for some reason elk are still around & haven't had a lot of pressure then consider these two! If you get to your areas & there's no action, (bugling-rutting) then do Blind/Cold Calling Setups every 1/2 mile, be sure to do your calling setups & wait up to an hour before moving on! If good bugling action happening, (shows there's a hot cow there) try to get to 150 yards of the bugling & setup & give the Breeding Sequence! Both methods are great elk producers, use the right one at the right time!

If unsure how to use these, pick up the Vol 4 Worse Than Wolves DVD, it has them in it with much explanation! Also get the ElkNut APP, it has tons of elk info for about any encounter you will come across! Too, it has a video clip of the Blind/Cold Calling Sequence in it as we put it to use in the field! There's also a video clip of the Breeding Sequence & the Advertising Sequence & tons more! It seriously is the best 4.99 you'll spend this year! Between the two it will build your confidence immensely! Vol - 4 DVD --- http://stores.elknut.com/bugling-bulls- ... an-wolves/

ElkNut APP -- http://www.elknut.com/ElkNut-App.html

Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Strategy? - Found Cows

Postby LarryBud » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Elknut. Have the app. Its awesome.
LarryBud