Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho hunters!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho hunters!

Postby NorthIDTLH » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I am thinking about going to my area to set up camp tomorrow with my kids. I want to have this camp through most of September. Am i reading the Forest Service rules correctly that even in NON-maintained areas, 16 days is the camping limit?

Have any of you looked into this and have knowledge of it being enforced and possible fines involved?
NorthIDTLH

Re: Idaho hunters!

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

If I understand it right, yes it definitely can be enforced and yes there can be a fine. I wish I had your problem of being camped in an area to long, that is a way better problem to have then not being able to camp much at all....I'm not sure on the exact rules of how long your spot/campsite has to be vacant before you can return or how many miles you would need to move...
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I'm surprised it's 16. Most National Forest regs are 14. But the fact is that they rarely tag a camp and only if someone reports it and they only start counting the days once the tag is dated and hung on your tent. Just camp!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby wawhitey » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I set camp today in the national forest in wa. Nobody will ever find it. Ill leave it up until the snow starts flying if need be. Just pack in to where nobody will find you and dont worry about it. Set up where terrain features and vegetation will hide you from people glassing from above, so somebody would have to stumble right into your camp to see it.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby NorthIDTLH » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the input fellas
NorthIDTLH

Postby Lefty » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

A forest Service worker told me the law was designed to keep long term scwatters from homesteading.
The Gifford Pichot was full of families living in the forest, the district our kids were in would pick up kids only up to the forest boundaries.
Some people were problems
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 7]

My group has had notes left form FS after about 10 days if I remember right warning us about getting a ticket. We moved camp literally across the road on day 14, maybe 40 yards and never heard anything else.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Indian Summer » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 8]

They cut you a break. The law reads it must be moved 5 air miles.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro