Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Opening day I wont forget.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Opening day I wont forget.

Postby js80138 » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Opening day in Colorado was yesterday and I want to share my experience good, bad and ugly.

We arrived on Friday approximately 2:30 pm. I had picked out three different locations to make camp based on past years hunting. The first shock of the season is that not only were the first two spots already taken but along a 22 mile stretch all of the spots were already taken. That included the small shoulder areas. The last area was our only hope for a known campsite. When we arrived it was already taken so we continued up the dirt road hoping for anything. At truly the end of the road we came across an area that seemed like it would accommodate another camp site. Luckily for us a girl who was camping alone said we were more than welcome to make camp. As most of you know Colorado archery opened earlier than the past few years. There are plenty of non hunters enjoying the final days of summer hiking and biking tails. This must of included someone a few canyons over who wanted to practice for rifle season. A dozen shots at most but not what we wanted to hear going into archery opening day.

We were on the trail by 5 am headlamps on. We made our way through a marsh area with good scat sign, beds and finally made the trail. There was some scat on the trail mostly aged and a few tracks, encouraging but not overwhelmingly impressive. I continued up the trail to a cliff where I ascended the rock face and was on a plateau of sorts with 40 yards of open area before the dense trees. My hunting buddy chose a different route further down. As I scanned the treeline I heard heavy breathing and running hooves. Obviously the game saw me before I saw them. We found fresh scat and followed the trail but the ground is dry and the track was very difficult to follow. We ended up losing the track. At this point we decided to split up. My buddy took the forrest and I worked the edge toward a radio tower approximately 1/4 mile away and 500 feet up in elevation above the plateau. As I approached a strange noise began to emanate from the radio tower. To my surprise some sort of generator would turn on every few minutes. I don't know if elk would be unnerved by this sound but it bothered me so I made my way back to the cliff. Sign was very difficult to find. There were no tree rubs to be seen anywhere we hunted. By this time it was approximately 9:15. We cow called and bugled while we were out but other than the generator the woods were silent except for one other thing. Little did I know the rifle hunter I heard yesterday would be out again. Boom, Boom, Boom. This continued for a good half hour. I made my way back to camp at 11:00. I grabbed a quick lunch, hydrated and was off to the trails only this time I went by myself.

The marsh that we crossed earlier with good sign, scat and beds was the easiest way to the trail. The plants were as tall as my shoulders so the trail we made earlier was easy to follow. I had made it two thirds of the way through the marsh when my heart jumped into my throat. 20 yards in front of me a Momma Moose and her Calf jumped up from a bed. I dropped down just as quickly as my legs would allow. My mind was racing at this point. I had no trees close by to protect me if she charged. If anyone has been in this situation you quickly realize that the biggest animal you will see outside of an elephant at the zoo is a Moose. Luckily for me the moose ran away from me ten yards across a creek before momma turned to look. I stayed down and waited until they perceived the threat to be over and walked away. I stayed down until I could see them walk off and get my brain to tell my legs it was ok to stand up. With my heart still at 190 I made my way to the trail. I sat on a trail intersection for a good hour and a half. I got up and worked another tail opposite of where we had been that morning. Still no tree rubs anywhere, dry scat and old track. The guy who brought his rifle to the woods must be a bad shot because he decided to spend the next two hours firing his rifle. Around 5:30 I had enough and returned to camp, packed up and drove home.

I live here in Colorado so I can afford the time and energy of a day trip. I did not plan for a week or even a half week trip so I feel bad for other hunters who are travelling to Colorado this year when there is still so much activity from non hunters. Next weekend will be Labor Day so I expect the same non hunter activity. Mid week hunts hopefully wont be so crowded. I wish everyone a very safe successful season but I wont go again until after the 15th.

All the Best,

Jimmy
js80138

Re: Opening day I wont forget.

Postby saddlesore » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

That is why they call the NF Multi Use. Sorry about your luck.I imagine a lot of folks were out because it finally started to dry up from all the rains we had. I'd wait until the last two weeks of the season .As you say,next weekend is Labor Day,the following weekend is the opening day of Muzzle Loader season
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

super busy here too. far more camps than i have ever seen, and in general, lots of traffic in the woods. i started out rough too, ran into another hunter opening morning, i usually am able to stay away from people the whole season.

very hot here too, which is rare, it was in the humid 80's yesterday, 61 and muggy before daylight today, and hot again. i take a little break in the heat of the day, but i have the week off and will be hunting twice a day unless i kill a bull sooner. off to a rough start, but i'm starting to put things together, a tough season can turn into an awesome season in a second ;)

good luck the rest of your season!
Roosiebull

Postby js80138 » 08 27, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Saddlesore I recall a post a couple of years ago about when to hunt. Your response was something along the lines of the last two weeks of Sep. That has stuck in my mind since you responded and I remembered your post as I decided to pick up camp yesterday. <<<<<True story.

Roosie keep us updated on your hunt. I have entertained myself during hunts by reading and posting here on WT.
js80138