Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pre-rut Archery Cow hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pre-rut Archery Cow hunt

Postby Steve G » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I tried the search engine but its not working.

I think I have a pretty good idea of how to find bulls. But the cows don't seem to be with the bulls I find. I am preparing for 2018 when I expect to hunt an over the counter cow archery tag that runs from mid Aug. to mid Sept.

So my question is what are cow elk habits like pre-rut? Will they be in large groups, or small? should I find them where I find bulls? Will they bed in the same areas as bulls? Will they be just as high? Any unique strategies for getting a cow in bow range?

Are they anymore active than bulls during the day?

Thank you,
Steve G
Steve G

Re: Pre-rut Archery Cow hunt

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Hey Steve,

Pre rut, cows are more likely to be herded up in larger groups. They will be near good feeding areas, as they try to get their calves geared up for the fall. Find the big feeding areas if you can. Water, grass, and good visibility for the herd. Alternatively, you could just go where the bulls aren't! :lol:
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Steve G » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:Alternatively, you could just go where the bulls aren't! :lol:

Haha. :D That did cross my mind but that still leaves a lot of country. Thanks for the response.

Steve G
Steve G

Postby Charina » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Mid August to mid Sep? This wouldn't happen to be UT would it?

I think it varies from unit to unit, based on the specifics of the habitat. Where I am hunting this year, the bulls are up high in steep terrain, above water. Cows are herded in groups from 2 to about a hundred in lower (8500 ft) flatter terrain where there is water readily available. I understand that in some of Colorado though, cow herds can be found up high in the alpine until the bulls come in from lower elevations and break up the large herds.
Charina

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Cow elk habits in pre-rut? Caring for the spring/early summer calves and eating the best feed available at their location. Will they be in large or small groups? Depends on the state and the norm for their area... You will "not" find them where you find bulls for the most part from mid to late AUG (cows are in their groups and the bulls are for the most part, still in bachelor groups with the exception of a few young, amorous bulls, who are a bit confused about the timing of the whole thing and their chances to possibly breed a cow). The bulls will start gravitating toward the cows towards the end of AUG/early SEP as their testosterone levels start to rise (hey, those gals aren't that bad and perhaps.... a gender I may want to hang out with) but again, there isn't much breeding going on although you may see some adolescents going through the motions (nothing taking though). Once the bell tolls (early SEP) and the very first of the cows show signs of estrus, the bulls will indeed start moving to the cow groups to start the herding up activity. What state are you planning to hunt mister? I applaud you for your forward planning/thinking for your 2018 hunt.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Most guys hunt too high for the cows. 7500-8500 feet is best. Hunt edges of known bedding areas, but don' t go in them and bust the cows out.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Steve G » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Thanks guys. And Yes, Utah Archery. I have some ideas where to go, though a little higher than 8500. The pre-hunt research is a much a part of the hunt as the walking around with a bow in my mind.
Steve G