Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hot Weather Strategy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hot Weather Strategy

Postby cohunter » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Opening weekend was one of the hottest in my memory. As we were driving out Sunday afternoon, the thermometer was reading 86 degrees in the shade at 8000 feet. With more of the same forecast for this week and next weekend for our area and much of the Western US I thought it'd be appropriate to ask this question: How do you adjust your strategy when the weather's hot? How do elk alter their behavior?
cohunter

Re: Hot Weather Strategy

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I dont change much besides the amount of time I actually am able to hunt. The window of time where the wind is steady decreases with this warm weather. Seems like it takes that much longer for the thermals to drop at night. Glassing the night before and getting in a good transition spot for the morning. Ive tried hunting water/wallows with no success so I stick to the strategy of glassing them up and cutting them off when they head to their bedding area. Its not my favorite time to hunt. Too much down time for me. Ill get a taste of it this weekend. Good luck out there.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby stringunner » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 3]

It's been in the mid to upper 90s where we are hunting this week. I had three different bunches of elk up milling around, feeding, and bulls taking trees between 10-2 on opening day at 96 degrees.

We are sitting tree stands over water, so when it's hot perhaps that is an option for ya. Important to get to the meat real FAST though in these temps.
stringunner

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Honestly, no adjustment in strategy necessary unless you're hunting a very arid state (or a specific area within a state where water is at a premium as Stringunner mentioned like where he hunts). With the huge snowpack accumulation in many of the mountain states over the winter, water is plentiful enough up into the head ends of many of the draws in (insert elk state here) so the critters will go on about their business as usual... feed, bed, rut, etc. Yep, with very hot weather... they'll be a bit more nocturnal (as they seem to be most often in the Elktember hunting season anyway, right?). The crux of this biscuit is to have a solid game plan to get your kill field dressed, cooled as soon as humanly possible, and down to a meat locker, processor, into big ol' ice filled chests, etc. to preserve those tasty snacks!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trophyhill » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I agree WT1. It's just another day in the elkwoods for the elk. If I'm not hearing elk, I'm not close enough. In the area I hunted on the Western Slope opening weekend, most of the creeks or "intermittent streams" as my GPS calls them were dry or going dry up high. The lower creeks had good flowing water. Elk are hitting water at night, and back on their way up before the sun comes up. Atv trails follow the creeks so the elk aren't sticking around down there. I'm camped on the creek and hunting up. I found the elk to be in full rutting activity between half and 3/4 up the hill. Bulls were Raking, displaying, bugling, coming to calls, the whole 9 yards. Not just in the morning either. Learned alot that day with some story's to tell. Sunday wasn't much different. Hottest opening weekend I've had weather included. Next weekend could be total opposite. We shall see ;)
Certified Elk Junky
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Roosiebull » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Cohunter, same thing here, hottest conditions I remember. I know things are different regionally, but here, they are down in the bottoms, and staying down.

Normally there is lots of sign on ridge tops, not this year, the canyons are cooler, always shaded, and that is where food and water is.

I do feel I have been approaching things different so far, elk do seem more lethargic too, staying close, staying low, and very quiet.

Like RJ mentioned, meat is a huge concern, and is weighing on my mind, I am sticking a little closer right now, within my physical means to get a bull out of the woods in good shape.

Good luck out there man!!!
Roosiebull

Postby cohunter » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I felt they were very nocturnal. In past years, activity really wound down around 9:00 am. This weekend, they vanished around 7:30. Not a lot of rutting activity in my area yet. Only 2 active wallows out of my 6 most reliable. Their distribution seemed to be a little different this year too, but I'm thinking that is more a result of a total failure of the acorn crop. I did see elk, though - maybe this weekend! :D
cohunter

Postby Roosiebull » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 8]

not sure if there is any relativity, but this year i'm seeing elk around noon often...or like 10-12, I think they are bedding close to food and water, get up and have a snack late morning. they were on their feet at 11 this morning where I was....I know, totally different regions, but i'm definitely noticing this is a different kind of season so far...not bad, just different.
Roosiebull

Postby lamrith » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 9]

One concern for those of you billy goats that enjoy the run and gun style entertainment will be noise. I know even my lawn has gotten noisey to walk on, let alone the elkwoods with all the downfall.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby TennMatt » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 10]

My season is not until late October here in Colorado but I've been thinking about this for whenever I get into archery. I think I'd hide in the dark timber overlooking a heavily used game trail that services possible food and water sources.

Even then I don't know that I'd take a shot because I likely can't be that efficient while field dressing and getting things out.

Matt
TennMatt

Postby Lefty » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Carry more water 8-)
When I hunted the desert many afternoons were in the 90's. I just moved slower , glassed more, and napped in the shade of the rocks.
It is suppose to be in the mid 90's over the three day weekend. There is more water in the mountains this year, less cattle and sheep "destruction" . My concern is more elk will be in the open country.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby brettb34 » 09 12, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Always make adjustments as needed but in my experience! I've had elk moving and eating in the heat of the day in 90 degree weather this year while I was napping in the shade missed opportunity! and moving and feeding mid day during a horrendous lightning rain hail storm last year! So many hunters only hunt evenings and mornings! I never understand that mostly because my time is limited so I hunt all Day regardless! that said I can recall numerous elk encounters over the years mid day hot rainy or whatever and many bulls harvested in that mid day window! Also many times I'm hunting mid day locates those bedded bulls and affords me a chance to move in close for whenever they decide to get up!
brettb34