Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Son's FIRST Big Game Tag....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Son's FIRST Big Game Tag....

Postby vertical limit » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 1]

My son seems to have some luck this year. Not only is this his first year of being able to put in for ANY Nevada big game, but he drew a late bull hunt in some amazing country. He turned 12 last Sunday. Most people wait YEARS to draw a Nevada bull tag, but my son is one of the very, very lucky few that drew a rifle hunt with zero bonus points. To say I am excited is an understatement. And to see the excitement in his eyes and smile when I told him, made it all that much better. The hunt is November 6-20, so we will have the weather to compete with. I have hunted the area several times and know the country very well. He will have a small army of support staff at his disposal as pretty much every hunting member of our family will be there along with some very close friends. We will be making this a hunt he will never forget.
vertical limit

Re: Son's FIRST Big Game Tag....

Postby saddlesore » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 2]

It's great to get those youngsters started elk hunting Best of luck to him
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 3]

How awesome is that! What weapon is the young man gonna be shooting during his hunt this year? I bet sleep doesn't come easy for the young hunter between now and when you guys finally pull out for the hunt.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 4]

that is super cool! look forward to the story, good luck!
Roosiebull

Postby vertical limit » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:How awesome is that! What weapon is the young man gonna be shooting during his hunt this year? I bet sleep doesn't come easy for the young hunter between now and when you guys finally pull out for the hunt.

I won a Winchester Super Grade in .280 Remington a couple years ago. I planned on hanging on to it for a while and giving it to him at a later date, but his .243 won't quite get the job done for the elk. So, he got his gift a little early. I topped it with a Vortex Viper HS-LR. He is shooting lights out with it. So far, we are focusing on 200 yards, but I think I may need to make it more challenging for him. He currently puts 10 shots inside about a 4" circle at 200 yards.
vertical limit

Postby vertical limit » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I was a little bit worried about him getting nervous having a big bull in the scope for his first big game kill, so I put him in for the emergency hunt (lots of wildfires concentrated in a certain area) for does only. I will find out tomorrow if he drew one of those tags.
vertical limit

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 31, 2017 •  [Post 7]

vertical limit wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:How awesome is that! What weapon is the young man gonna be shooting during his hunt this year? I bet sleep doesn't come easy for the young hunter between now and when you guys finally pull out for the hunt.

I won a Winchester Super Grade in .280 Remington a couple years ago. I planned on hanging on to it for a while and giving it to him at a later date, but his .243 won't quite get the job done for the elk. So, he got his gift a little early. I topped it with a Vortex Viper HS-LR. He is shooting lights out with it. So far, we are focusing on 200 yards, but I think I may need to make it more challenging for him. He currently puts 10 shots inside about a 4" circle at 200 yards.

Solid, nice!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby vertical limit » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Well, camp is all setup as the opener approaches. Next Monday is the big day. We have made several scouting trips to the area and found a lot of bulls, and a lot of people. The weather has been unseasonably warm keeping the bulls up high, for the most part. Looks like we may be in for a lot of walking and glassing, which is just how I like it. Wilderness hunts allow me/us to escape the crowds and see some truly beautiful country without as many people. The weather is calling for snow for a couple of days this weekend, so that will be a huge help. We will see what it brings.

Friday will be one last scouting trip, and then we will head to camp Sunday morning and be gone for 8 days.

Good luck to everyone on their remaining hunts!!
vertical limit

Postby Backyard » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Wow VL! Way too cool!
Please keep us posted. Wishing your son the best of luck!
Backyard

Postby Elkduds » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Pics and story to follow, right? Have a great hunt.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Sounds like a great hunt opportunity for all. Be patient with him and have fun. We will anxiously wait to get the final chapter of the story when you are finished. Best wishes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby lamrith » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 12]

vertical limit wrote:

OUTSTANDING! That is better than most of the people I see doing hunter sight in the day before the season opens.

Best of luck you him on his hunt!
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby vertical limit » 10 31, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and enthusiasm. We are both pretty excited (I think secretly, I am more excited than him, but maybe not haha). Pics and the story will definitely follow upon our return.
vertical limit