Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

stay sharp, stay confident

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

stay sharp, stay confident

Postby Roosiebull » 09 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I think it's easy for us to shoot our bows all year, or a bunch 2 months leading up to the season, or whatever your program is.

I think it is as equally as important to shoot your bow daily during season, even if it's one arrow (make sure it's the same arrow broadhead combo you are hunting with)

about day 5 of the season here, I found my bow shooting about 3 inches right at 40 yds, first time ever I have had that happen during season, luckily it was my sight, and not my rest, so my tune is still there.

I feel it's an important aspect to having confidence to make that shot with an elk in front of you, and ensures your arrow will go where you aim as long as you do your part.

I used to go days without shooting during season, but now I make a point to shoot at least one arrow a day while the season is running, glad I do, 3" may not likely matter in a hunting situation, but it easily could if you need to precisely thread an arrow, 3" can be the difference of watching them tip over, and a 4 hour track job ending in jumping a bull out of it's bed....it could have been 6" off as well....it's just good to KNOW, all of the work involved in creating a shot opportunity, it's good to have the piece of mind your arrow will land where you need it to.

I generally shoot one at 40 first, then one at 30 and call it good if everything checks out, pretty simple precaution ;)
Roosiebull

Re: stay sharp, stay confident

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 06, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Good advice!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul