Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Smoke!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Smoke!!!

Postby NorthIDTLH » 09 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So, I'm looking to some of you elk whisperers' advice/input on what all this smoke (I'm hunting North Idaho) is going to do to elk hunting. I understand it won't help my breathing, but won't the elk carry on as normal? Thanks for any advice on whether I should change my plans. Thank you in advance!!!
NorthIDTLH

Re: Smoke!!!

Postby Indian Summer » 09 06, 2017 •  [Post 2]

The worst is your burning eyes and tickly throat. The elk will go about business as usual unless fire fighting activities push them around. Good luck! Take Jolly Ranchers :)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 06, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Yep, the smoke isn't going to affect the elk at all as it does us! (grin) Get out there & hunt! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby NorthIDTLH » 09 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Thank you fellas
NorthIDTLH

Postby brettb34 » 09 12, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I would carry on and hunt but be mindful that in my experience last year that the elk I was hunting were very much on edge! My assumption was the visibility was fine enough with smog but the smell of smoke likely made it harder to identify dangers? We managed to call in a heard that came in quiet and more cautious than usual ! We did so by the occasional cow/calf call! Before that encounter we were calling our normal aggressive style and the elk would shut down and move away! We Always "take the temperature of the elk" in the area and tend the be quite successful doing so!
brettb34

Postby RAMMONT » 09 12, 2017 •  [Post 6]

In my neck of the Montana woods (with about 20 wildfires around me) it's beginning to thin out a little but while it was really heavy I noticed that the elk were tending to stay lower along the creek bottoms more than usual and they stayed in their beds longer during the day.
RAMMONT